Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
notarat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Consensus on mid-range GPS unit?

I'm in the market to pick up a GPS Unit and I was looking through Amazon at the different ones that are available and noticed there is such a range of prices...$100 all the way up to $900+ for a new 550.

What's the consensus on a decently equipped mid-range unit these days?

Obviously, it'll be for the bike, and I do plan off-roading with it so it will need to be a sturdy little unit, but I don't really need the top-of-the-line features of the 550.

Any recommendations for a particular model or mfgr?
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
Between $100 and $900 the best mid-priced full-function GPS for your purposes would be the $459 Garmin Montana 600 (GPSCity HERE). It is also arguably the best (irrespective of price) GPS for motorcycle use available. You know there is already a whole sub-forum here about selecting the best GPS?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 07:48 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Between $100 and $900 the best mid-priced full-function GPS for your purposes would be the $459 Garmin Montana 600 (GPSCity HERE). It is also arguably the best (irrespective of price) GPS for motorcycle use available. You know there is already a whole sub-forum here about selecting the best GPS?

Ditto that.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
notarat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Okay. I was checking out the Montana thread but haven't progressed very far into it so there seemed to be some issues with the Montana.

I will finish the thread and then likely buy one off the 'zon tonight.

Thanks for the information!
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
Okay. I was checking out the Montana thread but haven't progressed very far into it so there seemed to be some issues with the Montana.

I will finish the thread and then likely buy one off the 'zon tonight.

Thanks for the information!
Amazon is the last place to buy from, unless you like paying more than you need to.

No idea where you are but the best prices in Canada and the US are usually at http://www.GPSCity.ca or http://www.GPSCentral.ca (or .com - substitute as necessary)
Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Let's just say it seems to be among those with the least unmanageable issues
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
What's the consensus on a decently equipped mid-range unit these days?
Same as for consensus on Tires and Oil.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Same as for consensus on Tires and Oil.
+1 I would never buy a montana. You couldn't pay me to choose that over just about any smartphone.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
+1 I would never buy a montana. You couldn't pay me to choose that over just about any smartphone.
And you couldn't pay me to use a Montana nor a smartphone when a robust proven cheap common Garmin 76Cx does everything I need. There is no such thing as a consensus on GPS units.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Han Solo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Reading through all these posts and researching the models I've come up with two options. I'm looking for something I can ride the TAT with, so mostly off road and I'm riding a WR 250 R.

It seems to me there are two models that are below $200 and will navigate off road and allow you to enter your own off road routes.

The Garmin 60CSX inputting routes, topo, etc but the screen seems a little small.

Also considering the Garmin Nuvi 500 which can also do both of these things I think.

I guess these might be considered more "low end" considering their prices -$160-$250 but why pay more?

(Why is everyone who posts the forbidden question "what gps is right for me?" referred to a thread that hasn't had an entry since March 14th of 2010? Am I missing a continuation somewhere?)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Reading through all these posts and researching the models I've come up with two options. I'm looking for something I can ride the TAT with, so mostly off road and I'm riding a WR 250 R.

It seems to me there are two models that are below $200 and will navigate off road and allow you to enter your own off road routes.

The Garmin 60CSX inputting routes, topo, etc but the screen seems a little small.

Also considering the Garmin Nuvi 500 which can also do both of these things I think.

I guess these might be considered more "low end" considering their prices -$160-$250 but why pay more?

(Why is everyone who posts the forbidden question "what gps is right for me?" referred to a thread that hasn't had an entry since March 14th of 2010? Am I missing a continuation somewhere?)
If this really is what your choice is restricted to, get the 60, but you can save a few bucks by getting the Cx instead of the CSx. And some people prefer the 76, which is essentially the same as the 60, except uglier.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #12
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:

I have both an iPhone 4S and a Montana and I would never dream of using my iPhone on the bike. I depend too much on my phone to risk breaking it, doing something it was never intended to do. I'll always have the phone with me, safe inside my jacket.

And my Montana on the bars.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 04:13 AM
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
You couldn't pay me enough to have a smartphone! A phone is a phone, you spin the dial and talk to people period.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
You couldn't pay me enough to have a smartphone! A phone is a phone, you spin the dial and talk to people period.
You couldn't pay me enough to talk to people on my SmartPhone! If it's that important, let them Message me!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You couldn't pay me enough to talk to people on my SmartPhone! If it's that important, let them Message me!
+1 I usually don't bother answering my phone when it rings. My manager will send me an email if a client urgently needs to get hold of me, then I'll call the client back grudgingly.

My smartphone isn't a phone... it's a pocket sized computer that happens to be capable of phone calls. I'm *almost* tempted to have a smartphone and something more basic, but the smartphone is good enough as a phone not to bother carrying two devices.

As a GPS though... I'll take the smartphone every time. It's got a nicer screen, it's got more memory, and it's got better software. A good mount it's far stronger and more durable than my KTM (I've had to repair my bike many times, never had to repair my phone. By the way, almost anything on an iPhone can be repaired if broken - and fairly cheaply). There's no comparison, I'll never buy a standalone GPS.

I do carry an old school cheap and rock solid phone with ~1 week of battery life safely packed away on adv rides, just a sim card swap away from use. I've never used it yet... except once when I lost my smartphone, which could have happened no matter what type I had. I also have a paper map with me as a backup.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 01:11 AM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote