User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
Capt.saveaho OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I got one!!!!!!

Well I ended up getting a good deal from my local KTM dealer and I will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I was originally planning on a 990r but after thinking about it I went with the 990, IMO the price of the R doesn't justify the extra cost, plus you get a longer warranty with the 990. I hate ABS but a lot of people do and that will be a good selling point for when I never get rid of the bike. I'll post pictures of it tomorrow. Oh and does anyone who how to get their shit eating grin of my face, I've tried everything.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,583
Congrats, welcome to the money pit.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 752
Glad to have you!
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
Oh and does anyone who how to get their shit eating grin of my face, I've tried everything.
You think the shit eating grin is bad now, just wait till you take her out for a real ride. No known cure. Congrats and post some pics where you get her home.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
zeropoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
from one noob to another....welcome and hoorah!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Ks_Gman
Rank outsider

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropoint View Post
+1!
You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. Come back when you're worthy.
Ks_Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
dirtbikebagger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
+2
dirtbikebagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
+3

I picked one up a few weeks ago. Went for a ride with my buddy the following weekend and swapped up bikes for about 20 miles - 4 days later a shiny new 990 was sitting in his garage too.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
rnoliver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
+4! The addiction spreads. Just got mine a few weeks ago and have finally been home enough to ride it this week. Been having a hard time getting to work!

I put on the Black Dog skid plate and fit and finsh are excellent.
rnoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Well I ended up getting a good deal from my local KTM dealer and I will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I was originally planning on a 990r but after thinking about it I went with the 990, IMO the price of the R doesn't justify the extra cost, plus you get a longer warranty with the 990. I hate ABS but a lot of people do and that will be a good selling point for when I never get rid of the bike. I'll post pictures of it tomorrow. Oh and does anyone who how to get their shit eating grin of my face, I've tried everything.
I hear you, you can always upgrade to the R suspension and keep the ABS which I found invaluable in more than a few occasions. Imho if Abs is included in most cars it should be included in ALL street using bikes...and if you say you don't have a use for it it's maybe you aren't pushing hard enough....
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Capt.saveaho OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
I hear you, you can always upgrade to the R suspension and keep the ABS which I found invaluable in more than a few occasions. Imho if Abs is included in most cars it should be included in ALL street using bikes...and if you say you don't have a use for it it's maybe you aren't pushing hard enough....
IMO ABS is for those incidents where you're not thinking (freak incidents), I've done a lot of track days and let me tell you ABS will take you right off the track if you are pushing it. My BMW had ABS and when I would brake really hard into corners it would start going off, plus ABS won't let you put your bike on the front wheel or trail brake into corners. I'm no noob to ktms this is my third one and most definitely won't be my last. Once you go orange you never go back.

I plan on having the suspension revolved and resprung and I will have it raised as well. I can already see the debt growing.

Hopefully I won't get into an accident trucking this bike home.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
IMO ABS is for those incidents where you're not thinking (freak incidents), I've done a lot of track days and let me tell you ABS will take you right off the track if you are pushing it. My BMW had ABS and when I would brake really hard into corners it would start going off, plus ABS won't let you put your bike on the front wheel or trail brake into corners. I'm no noob to ktms this is my third one and most definitely won't be my last. Once you go orange you never go back.

I plan on having the suspension revolved and resprung and I will have it raised as well. I can already see the debt growing.

Hopefully I won't get into an accident trucking this bike home.
Abs is really useful when you re pushing it on the street, how many times have you entered a corner a bit too hot and decided you had to break in the corner only to have your hair at the back of your neck raised because you are now facing lower traction than you thought (a patch of wet or some shiny patch of asphalt)? It is also not true that you can't drift the rear with abs on. All you got to do is set up the bike for it before the corner and throw that tail out with help from your inside leg. When the rear wheel is already sideways when the slide begins the ABS won't kick in or at least won't affect the drift that much. I do that all the time and it feels a lot safer than switching ABS off cause it's not a piece of cake to countersteer your way out of a 80mph mess, ABS does that for you...You can always switch it off in the rough when it becomes more detrimental than aid....
Old 05-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Capt.saveaho OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
Abs is really useful when you re pushing it on the street, how many times have you entered a corner a bit too hot and decided you had to break in the corner only to have your hair at the back of your neck raised because you are now facing lower traction than you thought (a patch of wet or some shiny patch of asphalt)? It is also not true that you can't drift the rear with abs on. All you got to do is set up the bike for it before the corner and throw that tail out with help from your inside leg. When the rear wheel is already sideways when the slide begins the ABS won't kick in or at least won't affect the drift that much. I do that all the time and it feels a lot safer than switching ABS off cause it's not a piece of cake to countersteer your way out of a 80mph mess, ABS does that for you...You can always switch it off in the rough when it becomes more detrimental than aid....
Yeah I'm just not a fan of it. I had a bad experience that has tainted me with ABS. I'll try it again and if I feel the same way I'll turn it off. Anyways KTM gives you the option of turnin it off for the dirt of if your like me.

The whole kickstand thing bugs me a little bit but there are mods to fix it so it's a solvable problem. I think I'm going to go with the black dog bracket and the weld skid, I liked the way it was constructed. Those two are first on the list, then it's a giant loop bag.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,536
Quote:
Yeah I'm just not a fan of it. I had a bad experience that has tainted me with ABS. I'll try it again and if I feel the same way I'll turn it off. Anyways KTM gives you the option of turnin it off for the dirt of if your like me.

The whole kickstand thing bugs me a little bit but there are mods to fix it so it's a solvable problem. I think I'm going to go with the black dog bracket and the weld skid, I liked the way it was constructed. Those two are first on the list, then it's a giant loop bag.
+1 on the BD side stand relocate. Congrats on the new bike.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,077
I don't think the Grin will ever disappear.. Congrads!!!!
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote