Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
neighbor's goat OP
Just call me "Goatie"

Oddometer: 135
Transfagarasan road (partially ) closed for approx. 1 month

Hello fellow riders,

As there are many threads on this forum area showing your riding interest in crossing the popular Romanian road Transfagarasan, I made this announcement here: Due to heavy rain falls, a portion of the road on the south mountain side (the one coming from Arges, close to the Vidraru lake area) was completely washed away by a terrain slide, so the road is currently closed for about one month from now.

Nevertheless, you may still be able to ride part of it and reach the mountain top (Balea lake) coming from the northern side road (Sibiu -> Arpasu area); that one should be still fine, at least for the moment.

I will keep you posted on the progress of this.

goatie
neighbor's goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 601
Wow, thanks for the timely update! I am flying to Bucharest on Monday for a few weeks of vacation. Not going to do any riding but I was planning to drive the Transfagarasan road in my rental car. Luckily I'm planning to drive it starting from the North side, so I will just go as far as I can towards the dam and then turn around and do the fun part again :).
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
robxxx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Yea thanks for that, looking to try to get up there in september if the weathers OK.
robxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
rasomon
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Is it fully closed for all traffic? I was planning to drive that road (and Transalpina) in the midle of June. I have enduro bike (BMW 650 GS), would be posible to drive with it anyway? Does anybody knows in what condition is Transalpina? I know it was a lot of snow last winter.

Thanks for any info.
rasomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Tigly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Transalpina is open

Hi Rasomon,

Transalpina is open now. I just read on a romanian bike forum a ride report from 12-13th of May 2012.
Cheers

Tigly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasomon View Post
Is it fully closed for all traffic? I was planning to drive that road (and Transalpina) in the midle of June. I have enduro bike (BMW 650 GS), would be posible to drive with it anyway? Does anybody knows in what condition is Transalpina? I know it was a lot of snow last winter.

Thanks for any info.
Tigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
rasomon
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigly View Post
Hi Rasomon,

Transalpina is open now. I just read on a romanian bike forum a ride report from 12-13th of May 2012.
Cheers

Tigly
Thank you for the info!
rasomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
romek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Transfargarasan is fully open. We did it yesterday from North to South. No ice in the tunel.
romek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
therion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by romek View Post
Transfargarasan is fully open. We did it yesterday from North to South. No ice in the tunel.

Great !
We will ride to Sibiu next wednesday.
Greetz
Therion
therion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
neighbor's goat OP
Just call me "Goatie"

Great news, so I guess this thread can be now closed, until the end of September .
Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
robxxx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by neighbor's goat View Post
Great news, so I guess this thread can be now closed, until the end of September .
Oooohh.....lets hope VERY late September. I'm planning on being there around 3rd week of September.
robxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Another point in here, don't ride these on the weekend if you have a choice. We went to Transalpina yesterday and the traffic was rediculous. People EVERYWHERE, parked up on the sides of the road. Drivers just stopping in the middle of the road. As said careful on Transalpina as the tarmac is new and thick and drops off a good foot on every side, so if you overcook the corner you are coming off and it wont be pretty.

We have opted to wait until Monday to do the Transfagarasan rather than do it today.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
neighbor's goat OP
Just call me "Goatie"

Somehow off topic: Guys, especially you, from the US: I've just returned from your country, where, among many others, I went through the Beartooth Pass, from Billings towards Yellowstone NP: Sorry to say this, but compared to that, Transfagarasan is merely a sad joke. I mean, if you happen to be in Europe, or Romania anyway, yes, it's definitely worth taking the road through Transfagarasan; but just coming from the US especially to ride this road, well... you've got my point .

In terms of winding roads in the US, just take California 190 from Sequoia National Park towards Lake Success. It really blew my mind !
Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,427
Neighbors goat, glad you enjoyed our beartooth! I've ridden it maybe 4 times, never fails to impress, although I do dream of hitting those wonderful passes in the alps one day!
bikerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
What time of the year do the Transfagarasan pass normaly open. im going down to Romania in late may.
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #15
dwdufour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Some friends and I are also heading down in late May. I am concerned about Transfagarasan being closed and the conditions on Transalpina. Have you guys worked up a route yet?
dwdufour is offline   Reply With Quote