Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
BikeLugger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Touring the alps, tell me what I've missed.

Mods - Apologies if this belongs in Trip Planning, feel free to move it.

Ok, so this is our planned route. It is most definitely a work in progress.

See it in detail here - http://goo.gl/maps/fg9e

I've looked at various ride reports to pick some interesting routes. I've also spent time on Best Biking Roads and some time just looking for wiggly roads on google earth and street view.

The main focus of the trip is the Alps. Most of the way through France, Belgium and Germany is aimed at getting there quickly, except for Luxembourg (another pin on the wall atlas) and a diversion in the Black Forest. The same applies for the route back from Geneva.

The Brief -
We have 16 days.
We go mid July.
Predominately looking to camp where we can find space, but a cheap B&B/Hotel isn't out of the question.
If time allows I'd quite like to spend a couple of days in the same spot to chill out and take in some roads without the luggage.
My riding buddy has done the alps a few times before me, but is happy this time to just add the odd road he'd like to try.
I've driven to the north of Italy, the south of france, etc., but never been to the continent on a bike.

What would be great is if some of you guys could give our route the once over and if we are missing by meters an amazing spot or road say 'Woah! dudes! don't miss out on (insert awesome feature here)!"
Extra ADV Credits* will be given for pictures/video.

Cheers.

*ADV Credits are non exchangeable, non transferable, have no monetary value and are a figment of the OP's imagination.

Save $5 with SmugMug, voucher code - mwllJmqM2Vgzo
BikeLugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeLugger View Post
Mods - Apologies if this belongs in Trip Planning, feel free to move it.

See it in detail here - http://goo.gl/maps/fg9e

I've looked at various ride reports to pick some interesting routes. I've also spent time on Best Biking Roads and some time just looking for wiggly roads on google earth and street view.

The main focus of the trip is the Alps. Most of the way through France, Belgium and Germany is aimed at getting there quickly, except for Luxembourg (another pin on the wall atlas) and a diversion in the Black Forest. The same applies for the route back from Geneva.

The Brief -
We have 16 days.
We go mid July.
Predominately looking to camp where we can find space, but a cheap B&B/Hotel isn't out of the question.
If time allows I'd quite like to spend a couple of days in the same spot to chill out and take in some roads without the luggage.
My riding buddy has done the alps a few times before me, but is happy this time to just add the odd road he'd like to try.
I've driven to the north of Italy, the south of france, etc., but never been to the continent on a bike.

What would be great is if some of you guys could give our route the once over and if we are missing by meters an amazing spot or road say 'Woah! dudes! don't miss out on (insert awesome feature here)!"
Extra ADV Credits* will be given for pictures/video.

Cheers.

*ADV Credits are non exchangeable, non transferable, have no monetary value and are a figment of the OP's imagination.
Looks good to me. The only reaction I had to the Geneva-Dunkirk was an immediate cramp in me bum just thinking about that ride. Boring is an understatement. If you're actually going into Geneva for a look, and if you have a little extra time, I'd suggest going to Gex, France, to Morez, then to Belfort, north through the Vosges mountains between Belfort and Nancy. From there you could hook into the Ardennes again. Loads better scenery but I fully understand the tendency to be quick on the return.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Looks good to me. The only reaction I had to the Geneva-Dunkirk was an immediate cramp in me bum just thinking about that ride. Boring is an understatement. If you're actually going into Geneva for a look, and if you have a little extra time, I'd suggest going to Gex, France, to Morez, then to Belfort, north through the Vosges mountains between Belfort and Nancy. From there you could hook into the Ardennes again. Loads better scenery but I fully understand the tendency to be quick on the return.
I have driven through some of the above mentioned areas and agree with this. The Vosges has some great looking motorcycle roads.

The only downside is that it will take longer than the route you have currently.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Otherguy
First World Traveler

Oddometer: 368
In Bourg-en-Bresse, stop and eat. They give good chicken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulet_de_Bresse
Otherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Spend more time in the Dolomites , won't be deluded.
Cut the Lesachtal to Hermagor , not so interesting.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeLugger View Post

Might be a good idea to talk to the addicts then...the guys in the know.
http://www.alpineroads.com/phpBB3/

And get onto Michael J there !

Your route misses about 99% of the good stuff....but who's got 20 years to spare to really ride it all?

To give you some squared-eyes and a massive headache, check this 2500+pic !!! Ben Hur sized yarn.
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1506

Followed by a lousy 1200+ pics in the sequel
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2645

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #8
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post

Or here, for that matter

Thanks for the vote of confidence
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence
No better fountain of Alps-Wisdom around....simple

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #10
BikeLugger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
I have driven through some of the above mentioned areas and agree with this. The Vosges has some great looking motorcycle roads.

The only downside is that it will take longer than the route you have currently.

Tell me about it, I've driven home that way a couple of times before. It never failed to bore me.

That said, time is precious. As this trip is about covering as much of the alps as we can I'm willing to pay the price on the way home. Thanks for the info though, If plans change or when we go back I'll keep that route in mind. (We might use that as the approach and come back through Germany.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherguy View Post
In Bourg-en-Bresse, stop and eat. They give good chicken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulet_de_Bresse
I like me some chicken. Thanks for the tip, thats dinner sorted for one day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
Spend more time in the Dolomites , won't be deluded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Yes, I've always fancied the dolomites, I love the contrast between the lush rolling alpine meadows and the stark Limestone Towers.

The Lesachtal to Hermagor is my buddies choice, I'm happy to ride it to see a different side of the alps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post

Your route misses about 99% of the good stuff....but who's got 20 years to spare to really ride it all?

To give you some squared-eyes and a massive headache, check this 2500+pic !!! Ben Hur sized yarn.
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1506

Followed by a lousy 1200+ pics in the sequel
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2645
Planning this route has been so tricky because every time I think I've joined a string of great rides I find a better one heading in the opposite direction! I'll have to go back again I guess.

When I get a free afternoon I'll have a read of that report, I glanced at it earlier and it seems to be a very comprehensive read!

Thanks for the other forum too, I'll get busy lurking.

Keep em coming guys. Just over a month before we set off.

Just need to get some new pads on the rear of the bike and some new rubber.

Save $5 with SmugMug, voucher code - mwllJmqM2Vgzo
BikeLugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,838
Missing a lot of the Dollies..... Wouldn't take more than a cuple more days to fully explore.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #12
Ali in Austria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Looking at your route, you pass very close to us and almost the half way point on your journey.

If you don't fancy B&B, there is a good camp site just down the road. The Dachstein Glacier is something to experience.

If nothing else, pop in for a beer on your way past.

Have a look at our web site for information on the area and videos of some of the roads on our YouTube Channel. I have loads more to upload, it is finding the time.
Ali in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali in Austria View Post
Looking at your route, you pass very close to us and almost the half way point on your journey.

If you don't fancy B&B, there is a good camp site just down the road. The Dachstein Glacier is something to experience.

Have a look at our web site for information on the area and videos of some of the roads on our YouTube Channel. I have loads more to upload, it is finding the time.
Your place looks awesome. Will be contacting you shortly to reserve a few days!
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #14
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali in Austria View Post

All,
I just a spent a couple of days staying with Ali and Denise at their B&B and highly recommend it. They are great people, the B&B is gorgeous, and Ali knows all the roads. He also has a garage and is an avid biker. You won't find a better place to stay.

Finally, I would highly recommend avoiding the stretch between Karlsruhe and Munich. I just road it and it s 300K of traffic jams and construction. Plan at least an extra 2 hours for this stretch, or better yet, take a different, longer route where you can at least be moving.

Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
serialcee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I've done just over a weeks riding with 3 buddies in that region. I would say from strasbourg, cut down earlier south to the Bodensee and from there drive east through Austria. And as other posters suggested, take in more from the Dolomites, they rock. Just a few pics from my trip overhere: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzCTAoQ

If you want I can try to salvage some of our route as an garmin file... just let me know

Last tip: we free-camped in italia near Sondrio... best night we had!