User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
rwiles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
R100GS Front tire Bead Seating - Starter Fluid

I have heard that some have used starting fluid (ehter???), ignited, to seat the bead on fhont etroublesome 90/90-21 tubeless front tire. Anyone tried this? How do yoou do it? How does it work? Can you kill yourself?
rwiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiles View Post
I have heard that some have used starting fluid (ehter???), ignited, to seat the bead on fhont etroublesome 90/90-21 tubeless front tire. Anyone tried this? How do yoou do it? How does it work? Can you kill yourself?
Search YouTube and you will answer the question.................."Can you kill yourself"

Here's one.........................http://youtu.be/0OJMYHX8Fxs

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
well make sure to try that technique next you your bike.......just doesn't seem to smart. Why not just use an air compressor.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
I've found that using liberal amounts of tire lube (the REAL stuff like tire stores use) makes it possible to inflate and seat the bead on tubeless tires with a hand pump. Not always, but I have done it.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Don't do it, Roger. Shoot it full of air up to 60psi or until it seats, then back it off. Hows it?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #6
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
I've found that using liberal amounts of tire lube (the REAL stuff like tire stores use) makes it possible to inflate and seat the bead on tubeless tires with a hand pump. Not always, but I have done it.

If you don't have access to that stuff, Murphy' Oil Soap will work nicely as well.....
Overdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
i will say that the stock front wheel for an r100gs is very stubborn to seat. make sure the inside of the rim is clean. bath it in tire lube. give it lots of air. it helps if you have an air chock that allows it to give full air with the valve stem removed. i've used a shops larger air compressor and it's not that hard. it's all about air volume into the tire as quickly as possible.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
chip77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake View Post
i will say that the stock front wheel for an r100gs is very stubborn to seat. make sure the inside of the rim is clean. bath it in tire lube. give it lots of air. it helps if you have an air chock that allows it to give full air with the valve stem removed. i've used a shops larger air compressor and it's not that hard. it's all about air volume into the tire as quickly as possible.

+ 1 What he said
chip77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
I have two words of advise: SAFETY GLASSES

I always wear them, but didnt think to wear them one day when I was trying to set the bead, tons of soap, brake fluid, everything and when it did set it sprayed all of that shit in my eyes. No joke I thought I was going to be blind. In bed for 3 days. It was hot as hell and sweating my butt off and didnt want to deal with glasses. It was several years ago but still a painful reminder.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Oh god! Never even thought about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyMike View Post
I have two words of advise: SAFETY GLASSES

I always wear them, but didnt think to wear them one day when I was trying to set the bead, tons of soap, brake fluid, everything and when it did set it sprayed all of that shit in my eyes. No joke I thought I was going to be blind. In bed for 3 days. It was hot as hell and sweating my butt off and didnt want to deal with glasses. It was several years ago but still a painful reminder.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,932
No way would I use starter fluid or anything else that I have to light off to get it to work.

The tubeless GS rims are a pain.

I tired everything and in defeat took it to my local shop who then tried everything, the went at it for just under a half an hour
before it would seat.

Combo of an older rim and an older tire and a coldish day.

Next tire for that bike will be new and I'll either leave the tire out in the sun or under a warming light.

Along with a clean, polished and lubed rim.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 976
Darwin award alert.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Ether was common practice back in the day for truck tires. Split Ring Rims too, Scary Stuff but we weren't smart enough to know better.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
They seat much better if you can give them a large blast of air at first to push the tire bead over the rim. So no schraeder valve and my inflator is gutted out and now looks like this and I use the 3/8" air line from the compressor, not the 1/4".

Rim has to be pretty clean, no gouges from previous "tire iron work", I file and polish all that.And no old dried out flat sealer. Darn POs...!

Yes we have been practising lately, just so we can set my friend's DIY tire machine/stand just right. Told him that if he can do them GS wheels.....he can do just about anything else.

Depending on the type of tire,width of rim, you may have to use a ratchet strap around the tire to bring the bead closer to the rim. Anyone that has ever compared Avons to Metzlers pushing down, or sitting on an unmounted tire should know something about that.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Plus 1 on the ratchet strap around the center of the tire. Tighten it to compress the center of the tire forcing the sidewalls out against the rim seat.

Tire lube is not always available out on the road, no need anyway. Most tires shops I know just use dish soap and water in a 25% ish mix of soap to 75% water. It is nice and slippery and dries out quickly and the excess washes right off with water.

The key is as much air as possible as fast as possible as has been stated. But if on the trail and all you have is a hand pump or small 12v pump, then the strap and HIGH pressure is the key.

Putting high pressure in it will not hurt it, unless you go nuts of course. You would never ride a bike 60+ psi, but for a moment to pop on the bead is fine then drop it to you riding pressure. The issue with high pressure is riding it and heating up the tire. That is why there is a Max air pressure rating on the tire, that is a max riding pressure, not a max beading pressure.

If at 60-70 psi there is still a spot that has not popped on to the seat, I bounce the tire on that spot to halp it move. I have never failed at seating a bead with these methods even trailside with a bicycle pump.