ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
dzrtracin OP
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,678
BAJA/Ultimate off road ride,

So here's the story, on febuary 13th 2013 i turn the BIG 50 & i have a hall pass for an offroad trip of my wish. I did baja 3 years ago with an inmate here & another very good friend of mine. Had one of the best times & the ride of my life in baja, times i will never forget. So im going over my options of what i should do & would love to get some feedback from you guys. If baja is in the picture im thinking about either a ride with tim morton & his crew or another baja team. This is so not me doing a set up tour but the warden (my beautiful wife) feels more comfortable going this route this time around. Other option would be doing some other ride that would be just as rewarding as baja was. Let me know what you guys think & please chime in with other options. Thanks

RIDE ON!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
dzrtracin OP
ride'n 2 live

Wow, this is GREAT news. Nobody from the west has any input about baja tours, nobody has been on one? Not my 1st either but with it being in our backyard if figured someone has.

RIDE ON!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,413
I did a Racers & Ranchers ride & it was well done. Tim Morton of Baja Bound had a group of Canadians (fun group) that we met up at the Horsepower Ranch & then later when we broke off from RR at Mike's Sky Rancho.

Happy Birthday
Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
dzrtracin OP
ride'n 2 live

What was the skill level of your ride? How many days of riding? Thanks for the reply
Old 05-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,838
I don't think you'll go wrong with BB. And I'll always vote Baja, there is just something different than being in the states. That said, I'm all about the small group or just the wife and I. The only real question is big bikes or small?

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
dzrtracin OP
ride'n 2 live

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
I don't think you'll go wrong with BB. And I'll always vote Baja, there is just something different than being in the states. That said, I'm all about the small group or just the wife and I. The only real question is big bikes or small?
Prefer small groups as well, less drama. From what i have seen the bikes are supplied, was this the case for both of you guys. My trip 3 years ago was the 950SE, im thinking small bike this time around. Less fatigue & more technical this time.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
4play
Next?

Baja Bound does different rides & it's what they do for a living. They have a vested interest in you having a good time. Here is their website: http://bajaboundmoto.com/

The Horsepower Ranch & Mike's should be on your list of must see.

There were a few spots where they split the group, the easy way or the harder way.
I'm a B rider, my buddy was too, but had issues with deep sand (sorry Jim).
Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
4play
Next?

Jim & I rode our own XR650R's as part of the RR's deal. We were not with the BB group, we just happened to stay at the same places & shared quite a few adult beverages there.

BB had a fleet of Honda 450's that were well prepped.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,428
I've never been down there but I'm guessing most guys on here just get together on the forums and just plan their own rides versus paying someone to lead them down the beach.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
dzrtracin OP
ride'n 2 live

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
I've never been down there but I'm guessing most guys on here just get together on the forums and just plan their own rides versus paying someone to lead them down the beach.
This is a valid point for my post to begin with, wanting real world feedback & experiences. According to BB trips, it looks like there is a wide range of choices. After just recieving a pm from a prominent forum member here, it looks like BB is going to be the choice at this point
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
Having been down twice riding there, there is a lot more to it than just riding down the beach.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,428
My point being by going with a paid tour, what happens when you want to deviate from the prescribed tour? Maybe spend an extra day on the beach somewhere? Or just decide to go another way. It's gonna be your birthday anyways, you might be too hungover one day and just want to kick back or go further south. I already know whenever I get to ride baja, I'm going to have to lie to my wife and say I'm riding salton sea area and sneak my passport without her knowledge.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,149
What's wrong with just heading down and exploring? It is what I do.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
dzrtracin OP
ride'n 2 live

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva View Post
What's wrong with just heading down and exploring? It is what I do.

-John
Have done that, was a GREAT time. This being my 50th & on a 11 day trip, a COMFY bed EVERY night ( that did NOT happen last time around) food & COLD beer waiting for me every day with out any hassles & my wife knowing im being taken care of. Happy wife, Happy life

RIDE ON!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
My point being by going with a paid tour, what happens when you want to deviate from the prescribed tour? Maybe spend an extra day on the beach somewhere? Or just decide to go another way. It's gonna be your birthday anyways, you might be too hungover one day and just want to kick back or go further south. I already know whenever I get to ride baja, I'm going to have to lie to my wife and say I'm riding salton sea area and sneak my passport without her knowledge.
Thats just so sad Or you could go with me, I will be 72 in Oct. & you could tell her this old guy needs a chaperone with him so he can be safe

AZ TOM screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 09:59 PM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote