ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
kyled1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kyled1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 117
Tow strap?

How many of you bring a tow strap with you on a trip? What kind of strap do you bring? Are there any light weight straps?

Kyle
kyled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....
 
PineyMountainRacing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: SW Florida / Western NC
Oddometer: 1,889
If off road, and rough terrain, I carry a length of rope. I recently bought a very small block and tackle, hope I never have to use it.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
pfarrell
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Oddometer: 79
MSR makes a dedicated small light motorcycle tow strap.
google it.
pfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
kyled1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kyled1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
MSR makes a dedicated small light motorcycle tow strap.
google it.
Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for.
kyled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
NaeKid
Ancient member, eh?
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Oddometer: 168
I have used tow-straps and tug-straps for getting other Jeeps unstuck when offroad but I have never used one for a motorcycle. Is there a safe way to make it happen? I did a quick YouTube search and found some videos and even found one where they tried to bump-start the bike via tow-strap and ended up dragging the bike sideways.


Good video using tow-strap offroad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lzbMmoM050

Bad video using tow-strap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi6N5Iyqfwk
__________________
A Jeeper with a ZOR-decal'd KLR650 -- Vance
Just waiting for the day that I become road-spaghetti - till then, I ride.
NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: MS. Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 4,651
I can't see much use other than to drag a bike out of a ditch.
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
eddie bolted
BOING!!!
 
eddie bolted's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: st. clair pa.
Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I can't see much use other than to drag a bike out of a ditch.
Use it to get towed if your bike breaks down.
__________________
If it stops raining now, i'll be pissed!(BEANTOP)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer
 
Walterxr650l's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Donald, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
I have used tow-straps and tug-straps for getting other Jeeps unstuck when offroad but I have never used one for a motorcycle. Is there a safe way to make it happen? I did a quick YouTube search and found some videos and even found one where they tried to bump-start the bike via tow-strap and ended up dragging the bike sideways.


Good video using tow-strap offroad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lzbMmoM050

Bad video using tow-strap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi6N5Iyqfwk
I read in a magazine many years ago how to safely tow a motorcycle. You wrap the tow strap around the towed motorcycle's handlebars a few turns, then clamp it to the hand grip with your hand. With the right number of turns you can hold it with out strain, but when released it will pull free. It likely will take a couple trys to find the right number of turns. The important thing is the towed rider be able to release if there is a problem, instead of being drug. This method worked well the once or twice I needed towed.

In my opinion neither of those videos showed safe towing.

Walter
__________________
"How much a dunce
That has been set to roam
Excels a dunce
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Attico
Wrong way 'round
 
Attico's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,721
2 kayak straps. They are continuous loop and about 15 feet long.
__________________
“If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal.” (Coelho)
Attico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Woodbridge, VA
Oddometer: 9,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
I read in a magazine many years ago how to safely tow a motorcycle. You wrap the tow strap around the towed motorcycle's handlebars a few turns, then clamp it to the hand grip with your hand. With the right number of turns you can hold it with out strain, but when released it will pull free. It likely will take a couple trys to find the right number of turns. The important thing is the towed rider be able to release if there is a problem, instead of being drug. This method worked well the once or twice I needed towed.

In my opinion neither of those videos showed safe towing.

Walter

What he said ^^^^^^

Done it a few times.
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
going south
hero & Zero...
 
going south's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Alaska, Mazatlan. sometimes seattle!
Oddometer: 946
Few guys I know carry two small ratchet straps 1 inch by 6 foot, for strapping down on the ferry, or pick up truck haul out, or put together tow strap...

P.S. I have seen 4 packs in different lengths at costco & home depot for like $10.oo or so...
__________________
going south...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
pfarrell
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
Few guys I know carry two small ratchet straps 1 inch by 6 foot, for strapping down on the ferry, or pick up truck haul out, or put together tow strap...

P.S. I have seen 4 packs in different lengths at costco & home depot for like $10.oo or so...
some ferries require 4 straps...and depending on traffic, they may or may not be able to give them to you...
pfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 964
I towed a BMW F650 Dakar 25 or 30 miles in Uzbekistan after it fried its wiring harness. Across pavement, dirt, and a welded steel plate and oil drum floating bridge- greasy and polished and long!

Uzbekistan


Fried wires



We used a 20 foot x 1 inch climbing webbing as the tow rope. Tied to my right footpeg and wrapped once around the Dakar's crashbar before ending up at my partner's left handgrip. We got pretty good at keeping the strap tight and making big wide corners.

Now I usually carry a 15 foot x 3/4 strap with me when I ride out in the backcountry.


...........shu

Ride report if anyone's interested: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568261
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
NaeKid
Ancient member, eh?
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Oddometer: 168
That is all great information to remember!! Thanks for sharing.

Last summer I met a guy on the side of the road with a broken throttle-cable so I pulled out some tools and hacked the handle-bar enough so that he could pull on the cable with a vice-grip to try to ride it home - then he ran outta gas and then a thunderstorm kicked-in and I felt so bad because I had no way to tow him to the nearest gas-station and I didn't have any spare fuel or any way to transfer it either ...

Now I carry spare fuel (MSR fuel-tank) but haven't got a strap - I'll take your ideas and get a strap setup for future cases like this!
__________________
A Jeeper with a ZOR-decal'd KLR650 -- Vance
Just waiting for the day that I become road-spaghetti - till then, I ride.
NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer
 
kentnothstine's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI, USA
Oddometer: 603
You can even buy a paracord bracelet thing with a clevis on the internet. They come in different lengths and say if you use it in a survival situation you can get a free replacement. But I don't have one, I think they are neat.

http://www.survivalstraps.com/
__________________
2008 XT250(the new one for her to use)
2003 KLX400SR (the new one)
1997 Ural 650cc (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014