ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
toddler OP
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,719
Adventure camera info needed

Well my Canon G10 is not shooting so well these days and thus my picture taking has dropped off quite a bit. I may try to send it in to Canon and have the lens mechanism replaced, but I think it will cost more than it is worth. It has taken a lot of abuse over the years.

So...that leaves me in research mode for a new camera.

Needs are:

good pictures
decent video
rugged
small
fast
5x+ zoom lens

Anyone have any recommendations? The G10 certainly was not small, but it took good pictures that gave me lots of cropping options.

Thanks.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,888
This

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-.../dp/B004KKZ0KG

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,217
Rugged Waterproof Camera Review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup

Your Top options are:

Panasonic Lumix 12.1 MP Rugged/Waterproof Digital Camera

Nikon Coolpix AW100 16 MP Digital Camera

Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Digital Camera

Pentax Optio WG-1 14 MP Digital Camera

Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 14 MP Digital Ca
Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
toddler OP
Unpronouncible

good tips, thanks folks.

Anyone have first hand experience with any of these?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
good tips, thanks folks.

Anyone have first hand experience with any of these?
I looked at the waterproof Lumix but the lack of low light capability and anemic zoom caused me to just go with the regular Lumix. The one I have now goes from 28mm to 300mm, has the Leica lens, decent low light capability, is small, and has big buttons so I can use it with gloves on. It lives on a lanyard around my neck. It is my 3rd Lumix. My first was lost (which is why I now always have it on a lanyard), the 2nd did great for about 17,000 miles and one day while taking a picture while riding down the road a rock hit the lens. It was getting beat up anyway so now I am on camera #3. Ha.....

So you would think they are not durable. I would say yes, pretty durable. A camera that can survive being pulled in and out of a jacket in every type of weather and that can survive living on a lanyard for lots of miles both dirt and paved, that can survive dust storms and sand storms and still work is pretty durable to me.

I just looked at B&H Photo's page (dangerous!) and they now make a silicone sleeve for the Lumix. I am going to get one to see if it will protect the little camera better.

For me I'm willing to give up a little durability for a better zoom, better lens, and easy to use buttons.

I'll bring it to beer night so you can take a look see.
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,151
Another huge +1 for the Panasonic Lumix. The one I've been looking at is this one, which is also the best price I've found for it. http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCZS10BL.html

I always buy one generation behind. The new DMC ZS20 is $100 more. Not worth it, IMO. What I like about this camera is the lens. It takes really fantastic pictures, and it's much wider angle than the other point and shoots I have.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitana View Post
another huge +1 for the panasonic lumix.
+2

I have had the basic older Lumix without GPS for cheap money for several years and love it. I used to use Canon P&S cameras but like this one so much more. The best part is the on/off switch that is easy to use with gloves while riding instead of the more common button. I carry it while riding on my bike with a lanyard attached to a carabiner attached to my jacket. Good Leica lens, 12x wide angle zoom and the battery lasts for days. I carry a spare battery but to tell the truth, I've never needed it.

The one I have:

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 05:48 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
+2

Good Leica lens, 12x wide angle zoom and the battery lasts for days.
+3. I bought the Lumix ZS1 a few years ago. As FatChance said, the 12x wide angle zoom and good lens were the clinchers. It is really good for motorcycle trips. The wide lens is great for those panoramic shots, especially at 16x9, and the 12x zoom is really good for framing photos, regardless of the distance. Optical zoom numbers are deceptive, since not all have very wide angle also. It is a small P&S, and has been rugged enough so far.

My (very) old Canon took very good pictures, but I was frustrated on a trip trying to take wide angle shots from the top of a mountain and then pictures of an old mine entrance across a river. My Panasonic fixed that problem.

I don't use it for video much, and my older model does not do full HD, but I knew this when I bought it. Video was compromised for a lower cost camera. Maybe newer Panasonics have better video?
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
I have a Canon D10. It's the second waterproof camera I've had, and it takes ok pictures. I found that the low light performance on all the waterproof point and shoots is pretty weak. The D10 has an optical zoom (which is why it's kind of bulky), where my old waterproof camera had only digital (which means no zoom really). I have a good camera that I take when I want to take pictures, and then I have this rugged camera that I just toss in my bag or pocket or whatever. It's nice not having to worry about my camera, but a little better picture quality would be nice.
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Wired
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I have the Olympus tough TG-610. It's a step or two down from what was recommended, but I'm happy with it. I know a few people who took this model kayaking a lot and loved it. It's what I use on my bike for a point and shoot.

Nikon has a new durable camera out as well now. I'm not sure how well it performs though.
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
toddler OP
Unpronouncible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
I have a Canon D10. It's the second waterproof camera I've had, and it takes ok pictures. I found that the low light performance on all the waterproof point and shoots is pretty weak. The D10 has an optical zoom (which is why it's kind of bulky), where my old waterproof camera had only digital (which means no zoom really). I have a good camera that I take when I want to take pictures, and then I have this rugged camera that I just toss in my bag or pocket or whatever. It's nice not having to worry about my camera, but a little better picture quality would be nice.
Were your "dinosaur" pictures taken with the D10?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Were your "dinosaur" pictures taken with the D10?
Some where. Some are from Jay's phone and Sean's camera. Here have a look at the flickr camera thing to find pictures from different cameras:

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/

Here is the D10: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_d10/

Also, if you click on any of the pictures in the dino thread, when you get to to flickr on the right side, you can see what camera it was taken with.
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
toddler OP
Unpronouncible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
I looked at the waterproof Lumix but the lack of low light capability and anemic zoom caused me to just go with the regular Lumix. The one I have now goes from 28mm to 300mm, has the Leica lens, decent low light capability, is small, and has big buttons so I can use it with gloves on. It lives on a lanyard around my neck. It is my 3rd Lumix. My first was lost (which is why I now always have it on a lanyard), the 2nd did great for about 17,000 miles and one day while taking a picture while riding down the road a rock hit the lens. It was getting beat up anyway so now I am on camera #3. Ha.....

So you would think they are not durable. I would say yes, pretty durable. A camera that can survive being pulled in and out of a jacket in every type of weather and that can survive living on a lanyard for lots of miles both dirt and paved, that can survive dust storms and sand storms and still work is pretty durable to me.

I just looked at B&H Photo's page (dangerous!) and they now make a silicone sleeve for the Lumix. I am going to get one to see if it will protect the little camera better.

For me I'm willing to give up a little durability for a better zoom, better lens, and easy to use buttons.

I'll bring it to beer night so you can take a look see.
Please bring it tonight Cathy. Care to post a typical picture you have taken with it here?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Please bring it tonight Cathy. Care to post a typical picture you have taken with it here?
This was January near Green River - it does well on a wide range of colors.

This was from a few weeks ago when we went to Canyonlands.

It has a cool macro setting too - it does pretty good with details as well. This is from the backyard with me hand holding checking stuff out.

GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
sevengrey
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have been traveling for the past year and like a combo of small point and shoot with a gopro:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Motorspo...=3M1BKMPRFSGDA
sevengrey is offline   Reply With Quote