User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Kai Ju OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,781
Funnels for Airheads

Do you find yourself admiring the forethought by the German engineers in selecting the location for the oil fill on our beloved Airheads ? Yeah, me too.

Finding a funnel that works is nearly impossible. Nothing really fits and if it does it's usually too small to be able to pour oil at something other than a trickle.

So the other day a coworker asked me to evaluate this little beauty. I tried it on my oil in backbone XR650R first, then a similarly set up XR650L and it worked great because it stays in place and easily fits between the handlebar and fuel tank.

But the winner was my R100/7. I've never been able to add oil as easy as with this funnel.

This funnel not only fits, but allows you to pour oil without holding your breath because it has a built in reservoir.
If you want to, you can trim it to fit the oil fill perfectly and pour even faster, or leave the way it is and also use it to fill the rear drive or the forks.
And as I just found out, it will fit next to the tool kit in an Airhead underseat tray for when you're going on a long trip and need to top off the oil on the road.

I liked it so much that I thought I'd take a chance and buy a bunch to share with my fellow Airheads.

They come in four colors: Blue, Orange, Red and Grey.

ADV Price is $6.50 each, plus $3.00 shipping for up to three funnels.

Kai Ju screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 06:26 PM
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Kai Ju OP
Beastly Adventurer

Funnels for Airheads

Do you find yourself admiring the forethought by the German engineers in selecting the location for the oil fill on our beloved Airheads ? Yeah, me too.

Finding a funnel that works is nearly impossible. If it fits the hole and under the tank it's sure to foul the cables.
Not with this one:

I've never been able to add oil as easy as with this funnel.

Here is the link to the Vendor thread where I'm selling these.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796073

Admins, if this is out of line please nuke it and let me know. Thanks
Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post

Finding a funnel that works is nearly impossible. If it fits the hole and under the tank it's sure to foul the cables.
Not with this one:

I've never been able to add oil as easy as with this funnel.

Here is the link to the Vendor thread where I'm selling these.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796073

Admins, if this is out of line please nuke it and let me know. Thanks
Yes it is out of line, are you a lawyer by any chance?

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,315
He may be a bit Ferengi-ish, but that sure is a neat funnel. I'm ordering a couple of 'em.

Thanks for the announcement (odervise, how else would us Airheads find out about it???).
Old 06-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,095
For 18 years of airhead ownership I've used this super long skinny black funnel

While it's been great to get to the poorly german engineered oil filler hole.

It's kind of a pain as I have to hold it. It's also about three feet too long to use on a bikes with oil in the back bone.

But to threadjack. What have people found to be the best way to fill transmissions? I currently use a ratio rite and a long curving funnel then finish the job with a tranny fluid injector syringe deal. Not ideal, but functional.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
But to threadjack. What have people found to be the best way to fill transmissions?
Easy.

In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Kai Ju OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Chicken View Post
Easy.

But my funnel would still work better there than the one in the pick, and fit in the tool tray.
BTW, thanks for the bump, you wouldn't be interested in a funnel ?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Okay then I guess it's okay for me to advertise my centerstand repair bushings on the regular forum?
I innocently did it when I first starting making them some time back and was severely admonished by the powers that be,
and rightfully so. Rules are rules.
This is just like the old lawyers trick of saying something in court that you know you are not allowed to, even though it gets stricken form the record, the jury still heard it.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,986
But my impression is this is something new? So isn't there an exception for a new product? If not there should be, I think. It is OK to give the link to the venders ad if somebody asks?

You don't show the funnel being used on the swing arm for wet swing arms? And yes transmissions are a problem. I use the bottle the gear oil comes in sometimes. Other times I put a rubber hose on the funnel tip but this doesn't always work so good.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,940
a standard funnel with a short section of hose works fine for me.

but it sure is a neat looking funnel, but mine works great. I see nothing wrong with announcing a new product for us to see. otherwise how would we know it exists?

OP is probably losing $$ by the time handling is figured in, offering these to ADV.

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,989
My local Walmart has a collapsible/flexible spout that screws onto quart oil bottles and will stretch and bend to pour right into the filler. Fifty cents (Advance Auto has them for like $2).

Only drawback is that the accordian section tends to hold a good amount of oil - paper towel and ziplock bags contain the mess.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 974
I guess I dont understand the motivation behind the thread. Is it to help your fellow AdvRider? Make some money? After buying one and paying for shipping there cant be enough profit to do that. Why not do what most do: post in the tip and tricks part of this forum and let people know where to get these on there own? If you actually made these and want to sell in my opinion thats another story.

Its like the guy who first figured out that VW rings would work for some early R100 bikes. I can and do buy 4 sets from a local VW dealer for $18.00. BMW wants about $65 for a ring set, so thats $260 for 4. Instead of that guy selling them for $20 a piece (which would be real reasonable for those looking to pay full BMW price) he let everyone in the world know of the secret.

See the difference? Benefit from any on else's knowledge here? If so pass it on.

My 2 cents on a hot ass day in Texas taking a break while I watch paint dry...
Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Most any FLAPS will have a blue plastic funnel some 10" long and with about a 3" mouth. Perzactly perfect fit for Airhead oil fill. Less than $2. I know Wally World has them as well.

An oil bottle with the bottom cut out is almost as good.

This is so close to a non-issue, I think I need to take a nap.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
+1 ATF funnel works like a charm and raises the fill area nicely away from the cables, etc.

fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,035
Filling or topping up at home isn't so bad, but on the road it's a whole nuther matter. No fun dribbling half the bottle down the side of the engine onto the exhaust! Kind of irritating actually - didn't seem funny at the time.

I've used an ATF funnel like that and kept it in place with a little bunge cord through the hole up top. They can take a while to drain.

I've also used a bit of hose connected to a short funnel.

But the one I use the most (and take with me on trips) came from an auto parts store. It screws onto a regular size oil bottle or the larger gallons. A half twist opens it up and it's got a clear plastic hose about 1.5 feet long.