Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
ntm1973 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Anyone go from a Big 650 dualsport to a 250 and regret it?

I have a KLR650 that I picked up last year and have been enjoying it alot but, it is a handfull offroad. I'm thinking of getting a klx250s but I am affraid that I'll miss the klr650 on the street. Sometimes riding the highway/turnpike is the the only way to get around and I like that the klr can do 75 to 80 on the highway.

Has anyone gone from a bigger dualsport to a smaller one and regretted the decision? How much more does a klx250s vibrate on the highway compared to the klr?

Will the klx250s have enough power for steep hill climbs offroad?

Is there anything I need to know before I make the switch?

Can you spend 6 to 8 hours in the saddle of a little 250 without it splitting you in two? I'm not a big guy but those seats look freaking tiny compared to the klr seat.

Thanks for advice

P.S.: I have read the bigdog adventure website and I know a lot of guys like the wr250r but I like to do my own work and the fuel injection will probably keep me doing my own repairs and the drz400 is just too tall for me, I'm short and had to lower the klr to make it fit me.

ntm1973 screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 10:53 PM
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,332
Having a fat ass KLR myself, my typical trip load before fuel and without me is about 540 pounds. I like to bring lots of spare parts....

Like you, I have the same draw to the WR250 Yammy. I think it is the clear ticket. Friend of mine just got one and has outfitted it nicely. GREAT BIKE.

I dont think there is going to be the same kind of tech tinkering on the WR like the dirty ass KLR requires sometimes. If I was going to pick a 250, it would only be the WR. But that's just me.

To answer your question, I think a guy needs the KLR and a dirty little 250.

Two bikes.

Or a Versys and a 250.

Just me.

You are not the first to come to this conclusion, our local riding group (KLR folk) has this conversation weekly....

Curious if this can go like 8 posts before we smoke out the haters. Just curious..

Until then, subscribed!
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Old Bill
n00b

Oddometer: 3
No Regrets

Yes I have, and no regrets at all! I downsized from a KLR to a Super Sherpa. I ride the back country a fair bit as well as commute, and with a decent set of tires(TKC 80's) the Sherpa does all I ask of it. The Sherpa doesn't beat me to a pulp the way the KLR did, and I still carry the same camping clag as I did on the KLR albeit not quite as fast. The only mods was to transfer the bash plate and bark busters from the KLR and add a set of Happy Trail side racks to keep stuff out of the rear wheel. One of these days I'll get ambitious and install a bigger tank but for now I'll carry some extra fuel. Haven't got a clue how to attach pics, so I'll leave that to the experts. I have been riding for about 50 years, and have found that size does matter!

Cheers, Old Bill

See my avatar for pic.

Old Bill screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 04:19 AM Reason: Old and thick!
Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,052
I went from a KLX250 to a DR650rs and really missed the KLX most of the time.

The DR obviously had more power but I thought the KLX was better every where else.

The only time I didn't miss the KLX was at the end of a long day on the highway because the KLX has more of a buzz through the handlebars than a vibration...

After the DR shit the bed I found a 300 engine to go back in my KLX and didn't miss the DR at all...

Mine was an 04 KLX, and the DR was a 91, at the time I had the DR my brother had an 08 KLR650, and I found the KLR and DR very close, but the KLR had much better brakes (I only had a couple of rides on the KLR on tar).

I think you would miss the extra power, but probably forget about it and enjoy the other benifits pretty quickly.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
el tortuga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
I think you need to define how you plan to ride.
If you plan on hauling a bunch of unnecessary stuff 400 miles, set up camp and then ride no more than moderately difficult trails, I think the KLR is a good choice. If you shorten your highway miles to 200 miles and lighten your load to say 40lbs, owning a WRR would allow you to ride harder stuff much easier and not beat you up every day.
But ditching a KLR for a WRR? It was a choice I've never regretted. The conclusion that I reached was that when I traveled long distances I tend to ride more conservatively because I didn't want to be stranded. This meant the abilities of the KLR became less an issue. For me, a WRR and a trailer solved that problem nicely - I can still take some risks and make it home.

If I wanted to take long, camping/sightseeing trips on nothing harder than fire roads then something like a Vee, GS or wee works way better.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
el tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
ntm1973 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el tortuga View Post
I think you need to define how you plan to ride.
If you plan on hauling a bunch of unnecessary stuff 400 miles, set up camp and then ride no more than moderately difficult trails, I think the KLR is a good choice. If you shorten your highway miles to 200 miles and lighten your load to say 40lbs, owning a WRR would allow you to ride harder stuff much easier and not beat you up every day.
But ditching a KLR for a WRR? It was a choice I've never regretted. The conclusion that I reached was that when I traveled long distances I tend to ride more conservatively because I didn't want to be stranded. This meant the abilities of the KLR became less an issue. For me, a WRR and a trailer solved that problem nicely - I can still take some risks and make it home.

If I wanted to take long, camping/sightseeing trips on nothing harder than fire roads then something like a Vee, GS or wee works way better.
200 highway miles for me would be a lot. I'm usually under 100 highway and the rest is backrounds and trails. I just don't want to get run over in that 100. I went out late in the day last night and had to take the turnpike back because I figured it would be safer than dodging deer on the backroads at night. You pretty much HAVE to go 70+ mph or you will not be keeping up with traffic. I'd like to be able to go 70 mph with a margin of safety for passing and do well on the trails and not have the bike cleave me in two because the seat is so narrow. Trailering the bike isn't really option for a number of reason. I know it's a tall order.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
I wouldn't worry too much about the FI on the WRR and being able to work on it.

About the most work you're going to have to do anyways is to clean the air filter
and change the oil.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the FI on the WRR and being able to work on it.

About the most work you're going to have to do anyways is to clean the air filter
and change the oil.
I agree, The WR is a far superior machine to the KLX 250S and will not need a ton of cash thrown at it to make it good.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Subscribed ..

.. after a recent crash and having my KLR land on my leg I can see the benefit of having a smaller (and lighter) bike for the more-challenging stuff up in the mountains ..

.. no broken bones, just some very nice deep-tissue contusions and crushing .. thanks God and MasterCard for decent gear ..

.. looking forward to reading about what the popular choices are for smaller sizes and if the 300-400 range of bikes start popping up .. though I do have fond memories of my uncles 70's era Yam and Kaw 250s ..

.. thanks for cranking this thread up ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I've been thinking about getting a smaller bike to augment my xr650l, it's a great highway bike and destroys the gravel like no other, but much more technical than that and it becomes and unwieldly beast of a bike.

I've been giving serious thought to finding a smallish two smoker to get plated, along the lines of the kdx or even a 125 mx bike detuned and big tanked for those less than all day rides.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
250 blows getting up steep stuff. You get so high in the rev range that it's just a pain dealing with all the spin. Too bad the japanese makers don't make a 450 ds bike because it is so nice chugging up something with torque
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
ntm1973 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
250 blows getting up steep stuff. You get so high in the rev range that it's just a pain dealing with all the spin. Too bad the japanese makers don't make a 450 ds bike because it is so nice chugging up something with torque
What 250 are you talking about? Are there any 250's that have decent torque for hill climbing that can still run on the highway?

It's funny because as bad as the KLR650 is at a lot of stuff, it's hard to give up it's mediocrity at everything. Sometimes when you clean a steep hill or a technical section on the klr, you look back and think "I can't believe I just made it through that" Hopefully that feeling of accomplishment/relief still exist with a smaller bike
Old 06-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #13
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,332
It's funny because as bad as the KLR650 is at a lot of stuff,
it's hard to give up it's mediocrity at everything (quote from NTM1973, shown above).

I really like that synopsis or statement.
It's a great statement. Kawasaki, if they cared, could use it to sell yet more KLR's.

Here's my own blurt:

The KLR 650 is the Swiss Army adjustable metric crescent wrench of two-wheeled farm machinery. While potentially ill suited to "many things", it's donkey stupid enough to be willing to TRYING ANYTHING.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #14
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
What 250 are you talking about?
i have a te 250 and it is briiliant at everything singletrack except the climbs and rock gardens. Since it has low power it uses a 120 section rear tire so it has that much less grip , and if you can imagine 7000 rpms over rocks you get the idea
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
ntm1973 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
i have a te 250 and it is briiliant at everything singletrack except the climbs and rock gardens. Since it has low power it uses a 120 section rear tire so it has that much less grip , and if you can imagine 7000 rpms over rocks you get the idea
That is another thing that scares me off from getting a wr250r, making power at too high a rpm. Most of the trails in this area are straight up and then straight down, often times from a dead stop.

Does putting a 351 kit on a klx250s give it more torque or at least move the powerband down to where it is on a klr? It is nice to have that tractor power.

Too bad suzuki doesn't perfect the drz400 and put a 6th speed gearbox in there.