Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Gundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Super Tenere vs. '12 Wee-Strom Adv: Why?

Nevermind. Just found a gazillion threads on this topic.

To sum up Tenere = faster + better offroad, if you have the $$$

Gundy screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 11:46 AM
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
After extensive research I have narrowed it down to 2012 dl650 or 2012 ST for long range touring. I plan on New orleans to yellowstone next year on the new bike. Since this thread was originated but never went anywhere, I actually have some very specific questions regarding these two bikes.

The goal is long distance touring comfort 1up with limited luggage. Likely a lot of highway miles. I'm not after passing power or off road capabilities, which is mainly where the tenere seems to outperform the dl650, from what I read.

So...

1) Given that I could care less about power and off road capabilities, does it seem practical/necessary to spend x2 on the tenere or will the dl650 will be nearly the same for my intended use? Or might the tenere have specific features that will be a big improvement over the dl650 for touring?
2) Is there anything I should know about either bike that becomes unbarable after several hundred miles (besides the seat)

The only dealer in my area that sells these models does not allow test rides . Sitting on both isn't much help as they feel pretty similar in terms of ergos. The x2 cheaper price on the dl650 was skewing my decision but then I thought I should look the other way and just buy the tenere just to be on the safe side... I just don't know what to do...

A little backround on me.
I'm 6ft tall, 34in seam, 180lbs. I have never owned a sports tourer bike or even a sports bike ( I can't stand crotch rocket seating position b/c of too much knee bend). I come from a cruiser (currently own suzi M50 and a Victory Hammer), but have realized that I wouldn't want to do 1000+ mile trip on either of my current bikes. I bought the Hammer without much research and realized it's too big, bulky, heavy and just plain too damn much bike. Way more than I need and It doesn't do anyting my m50 can't do, besides burn more gas.

Hope you guys understand where I'm coming from and can shed some light in this dark tunnel.

Gundy: why did you settle on the tenere over the wee?

MariusD screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 09:21 PM
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
If you need a big engine the S10 is probably the best of the bunch.

If you don't need a big engine, the DL 650 is the best of the small engined bikes - and (I'm biased) the DL 650 is probably 'more better' compared to it's close rivals than the S10 is compared to it's competition.

Ergo's, you can get a taller seat for the 650, but it's probably less cramped than the S10 for a tall rider anyway.

Not saying the S10 is a bad bike here, I'd pick an S10 over a DL 1000 or 1200GS any day :), but the S10 and DL 650 will do the same job with about the same effective performance and comfort, one just happens to cost half what the other does.

I'd say your research has hit it dead centre, but you just don't believe the results ?

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Appreciate the input everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
If you need a big engine the S10 is probably the best of the bunch.

.....but the S10 and DL 650 will do the same job with about the same effective performance and comfort, one just happens to cost half what the other does.

I'd say your research has hit it dead centre, but you just don't believe the results ?

Pete
Do i need or want a big engine: No. In fact by going from the M50 to the Hammer I realized that big, heavy bulky is not my thing. I like nibleness and comfort, don't care for power or bling.

Frankly your answer surprises me. And you're spot on that my "research results" confirm what you say. I admit I am a bit skeptical still.

Chain vs shaft also doesn't particularly worry me much.

I guess the things that would make a big difference to me between the bikes are as follows:

1) Vibrations (less is better)
2) Suspension smoothness on the highway and over bad roads (roads where I live are awfull! Including the highways) I'd like the bike to be able to soak up the road as much as possible without transfering the vibes of poor pavement to the rider. (this is really a big deal for me!)
3) Wind protection

If the two bikes are nearly identical in these respects then it's the 12 vstrom adventure that will end up in my garage. If the tenere has a meaningful advantage here, then I might have to spend the extra $.

I realize a test drive is the best way to find out, just not looking forward to driving several hundred miles to another dealership. I'll do it if I absolutly have to, it's just really helpful to see if you all might have a consensus on how these two would compare when you take off-road abilities and power out of the picture and focus purely on comfort, road absorbtion, and wind protection for long distance trips.

MariusD screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 09:19 AM
Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Gundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Gundy: why did you settle on the tenere over the wee?
Well, ironically I have my S10 for sale in the Flea Market already....simply put, I would not think of selling it if I had any legit plans to do longer trips, but I mostly just commute around town in stop and go traffic, and would like something thats a little more off-road oriented too. That, and my buddies all seem to be more off-road focused nowadays. If I had the cash, I would just plan on keeping it and add a singletrack bike to the stable.

That said, its a bit heavy and powerful for my specific use. Not that it doesn't do just fine, but more that I sacrifice too much offroad ability for some features I don't need.

What attracted me to it over the DL650 was:
-two-up riding - I think most would agree the S10 wins there. The DL is very good there too, but just not as good as the S10. On other bikes my wife was whining after 100 miles. Not so on the S10.

-better suspension and supposedly better offroad performance
-I only have ridden mine once around the edge of a cornfield, and it did feel very planted. it felt better balanced than my KLR.... Only test rode the DL on the street, so its hard to compare.

-torque. I like torque. The S10 has more. I comfortable cruise at 65-70 around 4k rpms in 5th gear. This bike has 6 gears, meaning that it will cruise long distance faster than I care to.

-looks. Neither one will win a beauty pageant, but the Tenere appeals to me more.

-Yamaha - its my third and I like how they make things. I had a DRZ400s, which was a decent bike, but Yamaha (as a brand) gets the edge in terms of well thought out features, ease of maintenance, tool access etc.

-throwing another idea out there - take a close look at the Tiger 800 (or XC if you want the 21" wheel)....the ergos are a little tight for taller folks and pillions (the main reason I didn't buy one), but for solo travelers, it is a fantastic bike. Loved the triple on the 955i I owned and it was even better on the new 800s.

-Somebody already mentioned it, but the shaft drive does not allow for gearing changes. The S10 has all the power it needs to pull the gearing, BUT I do find myself feathering the clutch in stop and go traffic more than I would have expected. I wouldn't mind lower gearing overall.

Since you are riding solo on the street, I think your search will boil down to this: the S10 is a better bike, but the DL is a better value. So just ask yourself what your budget is. For the way I actually have been using the bike, the DL would be great and I'd still have a decent chunk of money to buy that singletrack bike I've been wanting.

Gundy screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 10:15 AM
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Appreciate everyone's comments. This is very helpful and rather surprising.

So what I'm hearing is, yes, tenere would be marginally better for my intended use, with some drawbacks living with it day to day (in traffic), but really none of the qualities it has over the strom are a MUST for what I'm doing.

I guess I was expecting for someone to pound the table that the tenere is worth every penny of the difference for the x,y, and z improvements. It seems the differences are nothing to lose sleep over. And if that's the case, I really have a hard time justifying the price difference.

So if you were to take a 1000 mile trip tomorrow, 1 up, through a lot of highways, cities and backroads (no off-road at all), for what reasons specifically would you chose the tenere instead of the strom, besides more power?! And would for any of you having to go on the strom be a deal breaker for doing the trip in the first place?

MariusD screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 11:54 AM
Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
So if you were to take a 1000 mile trip tomorrow, 1 up, through a lot of highways and backroads (no off-road at all), for what reasons specifically would you chose the tenere instead of the strom, besides more power?! And would for any of you having to go on the strom be a deal breaker for doing the trip in the first place?
Chain maintenance, but a can of dupont lube and a couple shop towels take very little space, and the wee has better fuel range/economy, by as much as 5 gallons for a 1000 mile day.

Don't forget that for 1000 mile days you're going to want to change seats, windscreens, possibly bar heights, add heated grips, etc. for either bike.

It is hard to imagine either bike being bad for that sort of task. Maybe if your single rider was very heavy, but that is hardly the bike's fault :)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Chain maintenance, but a can of dupont lube and a couple shop towels take very little space, and the wee has better fuel range/economy, by as much as 5 gallons for a 1000 mile day.

Don't forget that for 1000 mile days you're going to want to change seats, windscreens, possibly bar heights, add heated grips, etc. for either bike.

It is hard to imagine either bike being bad for that sort of task. Maybe if your single rider was very heavy, but that is hardly the bike's fault :)
Thanks.

And this is my point: I'm 180lbs, so weight is a non issue. Chain maintainance? If this is the best reason you can come up with to go with a tenere, that's just not enough reason to justify it, at least in my mind.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

A thousand mile day is medieval torture. The most I have riddin is 16 hours in one day across Mexico and it was a ball breaker. Just wanted to sleep in my own bed.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
So if you were to take a 1000 mile trip tomorrow, 1 up, through a lot of highways, cities and backroads (no off-road at all), for what reasons specifically would you chose the tenere instead of the strom, besides more power?! And would for any of you having to go on the strom be a deal breaker for doing the trip in the first place?
Australia, sometimes BIG gaps between fuel stops. I'd take the DL, just cruising at near legal speeds it's good for 500km/tank. The Tenere won't equal that :).

I've done the 1000 mile trip (well, around 100 miles short) on a DL, yes, I was a bit tried at the end, yes, my butt was glad to get off the bike. 10 minutes and a shower fixed all that and I rode back two days later.

Apart from the whole 'boring and ugly' thing the DL 650 causes very few buyers regrets. The S10 - well, you've got comments from a few people who found them a bit unwieldy - but still a great bike.

I nearly did buy an S10, but more range was a lot more appealing than power and weight that I didn't need. As others have said, find somewhere you can actually ride them both even if it means a days travel, one of them may just speak to you - decision's easy then.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Australia, sometimes BIG gaps between fuel stops. I'd take the DL, just cruising at near legal speeds it's good for 500km/tank. The Tenere won't equal that :).

Pete
True, it can only manage 480.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Also… I know all too well about big engines, tall gears, heavy bikes and how uncomfortable they are navigating through daily traffic. That’s my Hammer. This bike is great on open roads or the highway, but you get stuck in traffic or have to navigate small busy city streets, it suddenly becomes such a tiring chore to have to man-handle this bike. I wouldn’t take a bike like this on a trip involving anything other than highway. I just don’t want/need another like that…

So if the tenere has “Hammer” like tendencies, then its marginally better qualities will certainly not out weigh the short comings and I really need to pass on it. Not doing that again…
Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Gundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Also… I know all too well about big engines, tall gears, heavy bikes and how uncomfortable they are navigating through daily traffic. That’s my Hammer. This bike is great on open roads or the highway, but you get stuck in traffic or have to navigate small busy city streets, it suddenly becomes such a tiring chore to have to man-handle this bike. I wouldn’t take a bike like this on a trip involving anything other than highway. I just don’t want/need another like that…

So if the tenere has “Hammer” like tendencies, then its marginally better qualities will certainly not out weigh the short comings and I really need to pass on it. Not doing that again…
I'll go ahead an give you the nudge....for the specific purpose you describe, your money would be best spent on the V-Strom. I'd only change that recommendation if:

1. money was no object
2. you were bringing a passenger
3. you were spending lots of time on unpaved roads
4. you were intent on traveling at higher speeds
5. and especially any combination of the above
Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
I'll go ahead an give you the nudge....for the specific purpose you describe, your money would be best spent on the V-Strom. I'd only change that recommendation if:

1. money was no object (money is not a concern, I just don't like wasting it on stuff I don't really need)
2. you were bringing a passenger No passengers
3. you were spending lots of time on unpaved roads No, never
4. you were intent on traveling at higher speeds 80mph tops, I foresee extended cruising in the 70-75 range
5. and especially any combination of the above
So what's the answer?!

I'm thinking the strom as well....
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,541
My $.02

If you prove your going to buy a bike & the dealer still will not let you test ride (for a few miles), then I wouldn't give them my money. I bought my Tiger at a dealer 180 miles away because I didn't like any of the closer options.

The best thing about a chain drive is you can change out sprockets for intended purpose. You can go up one tooth on the front sprocket for your upcoming trip & put the stock on back on for everyday riding.
With a shaft your stuck with whatever the factory gives you.

IMHO, if money is not a motivating factor, then you should check out a Tiger 800.