User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
tugboat OP
MicroTourer (tm)

Oddometer: 101
Question Maybe a scooter?

Wasn't sure where to post this but I guess the moderators will put it where it belongs..

Let me explain that I'm deaf, in a wheelchair, and cheap. I had planned to buy a used 250cc scooter and build a sidecar to carry my wheelchair. Then the "cheap" took over. I have an old 225 ATV out back. Why not use that? Building a street legal scooter from the thing is no problem... EXCEPT how to make that shaft-drive work with a single wheel. Anyone got an idea?
tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Take the rear drive assymble from a shaft driven motorcycle. BMW GS's are all shafties. But it seems like toy will have better (cheaper) luck with a Virago or the like.

Keep us posted. sounds like an interseting project.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,264
Cheap can take many forms, I have a few of them.

What can start off cheap as an initial but can end up costing a lot more over the course of the project.

I would think a cheap $500 street bike would be where I would start then you don't have to worry about titles or street legal etc.

Adapting a final drive from a shaft bike I think could easily dwarf the initial higher cost of the actual bike.

I hear you on using what you have, and the cheapness, but also factor in that somecrazy adaptation is going to require machine work and that ain't cheap.

Maybe if you give us some more details of your abilities with fabricating and what your limitations are as far as riding, it would help get some better advice.

I think a scooter would be a great option and they are really cheap it seems

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
tugboat OP
MicroTourer (tm)

Fair enough. I'll tell you a little about what I want to do.

I'm 62. Been riding all my life. I've ridden to all the States and Canadian Provinces that you can get to by road. Two years ago I had a stroke and can't ride a bike (or walk). I want a way to get around our small town. Never be more than two miles from home, and do't need to cruise above 35 mph. I can weld, bolt stuff, etc., but have no access to large machine tools.

Besides being cheap, I'm deaf. That is more of a problem than you would think. You can't hear the motor rev while using a clutch. Real PIA!

I started out intending to buy a 250cc auto scooter and build a sidecar. I have two sidecars so I understand the dynamics.

Then I thought of that old ATV. It has no clutch, you just shift it. I also have an old Moto Guzzi rolling chassis and a extra light weight sidecar frame. The idea is to shoehorn that motor and transmission into the old Guzzi frame and add the sidecar to provide stability and also have a way to carry my manual wheelchair. But, that driveshaft is a problem.

The Guzzi is shaft drive, but the drive is on the wrong side. What I would like to do is remove the shaft and go to a chain drive. Changing the rear wheel will require some thought, but I can make that work.

Any ideas????
Old 07-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
tugboat OP
MicroTourer (tm)

Looks like this project is a no starter. I've spent two days scouring the Internet without a single answer.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,264
It's not impossible but I think you would spend way more to convert a guzzi chassis to running a quad motor and then converting to chain drive and flipping the drive side without serious lathe, welding skills. Sometimes the most expensive projects are the ones sitting outside you got for "free"

I think your original plan is the best. Buy a used honda scooter fir cheap and then adapt one of your side car rigs to fit that. Should be fairly straightforward assuming you know how they all hook up, I don't have a clue. Theres a guy who built a fz1 with a side car as he was disabled and it was just brilliant. Very well done, he was in a wheelchair a well. Might be an inspiring read. It's in this sub forum but I'm on my phone and can't search easily. Shouldn't be too hard to find

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=Sidecar

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 04:51 AM
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,711
http://www.mtb-amputee.com/motorcycleamputee.htm
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,206
How about buying an inexpensive older auto trans bike, like a Honda 400A or 750A, and throwing your sidecar on?

They're pretty cheap, and no need to hear the revs for clutch engagement.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
i saw pics on this forum i think of a trike which was like the front part of a scooter but with a flatbed on it so you could roll a wheelchair up onto it and ride it

also was looking at a thread on here about sidecar rigs that are driven from the sidecar, was pretty cool
Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
tugboat OP
MicroTourer (tm)

Forde, where dat flatbed at? I want to see that thing.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,995
I think the shaft drive wouldn't be so bad.

Why not a side car with a driven wheel using a small CV from a junk yard tiny car as a driveshaft for the sidecar wheel?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
tugboat OP
MicroTourer (tm)

I thought about adding spacers between the axle and wheel and just make the thing a three wheel scooter/motorcycle. The rear end is solid (no differential), but taller, more narrow, tires could be used on the road. A wider stance would make it more stable. Realistically, this thing won't get driven much more than 100 miles per month on asphalt.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
tugboat OP
MicroTourer (tm)

Ultimate wheelchair scooter! I want one!

http://youtu.be/9JP7Mx7XCv4
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,651
The Atomic Zombie forum have a tread with guys coming up with a solution to something similar to you needs. Execpt he was wanting to do it without a licence.

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showth...roject-Freedom

Below is a design, info in the 15 pages of the thread

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote