User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Camping Questions

I havent not slept on a comfy bed with tons of pilliows in decades. I want to start conditioning my self to sleep in a tent without carrying an entire bed.
Any suggestions? sleep on the floor? or is the floor harder then the ground would be and not a good test?
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I suggest you take something like a Therm-a-Rest pad for camping. This could be used in your house for practice. I also have a small cot (CycleCot) that is comfy. I am almost 60, and my body no longer is happy to sleep on the ground unless it is warm, soft sand.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
froggy68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Sleep Right System

My suggestions would be one of the Camp Model Therma-Rests which are a little thicker and heavier but for the old bones it feels much better At least 2.5" thick for best results. A decent compressable camp pillow also is a plus. I am 71 and this setup works for me.
froggy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Lifes2short
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
Any suggestions?
This

Seriously, I started looking at some new camping gear and bought 2 of these instead. I realize it's perhaps not for everyone but it is the most comfortable sleep my wife and I have ever had camping and we'll never go back to a tent. Just my 2c.
Lifes2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84TOFF View Post
This

Seriously, I started looking at some new camping gear and bought 2 of these instead. I realize it's perhaps not for everyone but it is the most comfortable sleep my wife and I have ever had camping and we'll never go back to a tent. Just my 2c.
agreed. Everything I have read says that hammock sleeping is the best option.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Do you pack that on 1 bike or does your wife have her own? I have been considering hammocks but not sure about packing 2 on a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84TOFF View Post
This

Spirit_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
bilborides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
yep

I agree with Froggy get 2.5 at least
bilborides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Luxury Lite Cot is the only way to go imho, I've spent more nights on it this year so far than my own bed and I've slept wonderfully, perfect for sleeping in the tropics, similar to a hammock where the air can circualate underneath and help cool you but not requiring trees or posts around and work great on rocky and rought ground, also keeps you above the wet ground if sleeping sans tent under cover. I've gotten very used to it and sleep great on it and highly recommend it. Easy to recover the cost sleeping for free instead of paying for hotels.

Here in Cuba using waterproof liner and mosquito net over head sleeping under starry night on rough ground on Varadero Beach the cheap way.

Los Andes of Venezuela, all you need is some cover over head and it's easy to sleep sans tent even in heavy rains as you are suspended above the ground.

I've holed out enough airpads on rough ground finding sandburs and everything else sharp to easily pay for my cot, lifetime guarantee for the parts I've worn out, only needed one replacement tarp over the last couple years traveling a fair amount.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Scorch_TX
Suzuki disciple

Oddometer: 95
Oy, I picked up this Aerobed Pakmat a few weeks back, tried it out yesterday. Pretty nice setup, it was plenty comfy with 5" and packs pretty small, and the carrying case is a built in pump, takes about 50 seconds to inflate the mattress.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Oy, I picked up this Aerobed Pakmat a few weeks back, tried it out yesterday. Pretty nice setup, it was plenty comfy with 5" and packs pretty small, and the carrying case is a built in pump, takes about 50 seconds to inflate the mattress.

Yeah me too. Its a very tidy piece of kit, and very comfortable. Best airbed I have used.
windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
Any suggestions? sleep on the floor? or is the floor harder then the ground would be and not a good test?
I vote for naps in the yard. I take naps in the yard when flying bugs are thinner. When I visit my dad for a week or two I take naps on my dad's carpet, but that's not nearly as comfortable as the yard. Naps are significantly different from trying to sleep all night, but a missed night of sleep is worse than a bad nap.

Floors are flatter and sometimes harder than camp spots. It's that flatness that is as much a problem (for me) as the hardness: inside the tent I fit myself into the subtle contours of the ground. I also use a tired, ripped, and punctured 3/8-inch foam pad that's about 4 feet long. I'm 57 years old.

For camping I prefer state parks since commercial campgrounds often have pointy gravel pads to bring in the RV crowd. State parks are more likely to have grass on dirt for setting up a tent. (I have hit a few lately that are grass on hard-packed gravel. The pegs don't go far but I sleep great.)

People are suggesting pads that probably work great. You may also want to give the ground a try somewhere.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I vote for naps in the yard. I take naps in the yard when flying bugs are thinner. When I visit my dad for a week or two I take naps on my dad's carpet, but that's not nearly as comfortable as the yard. Naps are significantly different from trying to sleep all night, but a missed night of sleep is worse than a bad nap.

Floors are flatter and sometimes harder than camp spots. It's that flatness that is as much a problem (for me) as the hardness: inside the tent I fit myself into the subtle contours of the ground. I also use a tired, ripped, and punctured 3/8-inch foam pad that's about 4 feet long. I'm 57 years old.

For camping I prefer state parks since commercial campgrounds often have pointy gravel pads to bring in the RV crowd. State parks are more likely to have grass on dirt for setting up a tent. (I have hit a few lately that are grass on hard-packed gravel. The pegs don't go far but I sleep great.)

People are suggesting pads that probably work great. You may also want to give the ground a try somewhere.
This is what I was looking for.
I had tried sleeping on the floor even with a thick blanket folded underneath and it was fine until I got well into the night and then it was uncomfortable.

I also tried sleeping in my hammock which has a net outside however there is a lot of noise. My place is in the city plus on a bayou so I get lots of nature sounds as well as road sounds plus a light outside I cant turn off. I guess I could try it again with some ear plug.

I am also glad to read about the ages of so many here which answers another question I had regarding age and riding. Now I have been riding for the first time in my life I notice that I use muscles that I never have before even though I do weight training (although admitly not a lot). so I was concerned about riding well into my 60s. I am 45 now.
I am ready for Texas summer to be over so I can take some weekend trips!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,546
Many find that a full day of riding/hiking/hunting/fishing, or other outdoor activity is conducive to making sleeping in non-normal conditions quite palatable (i.e. you are more tired, and don't notice the lack of extra comfort you are used too). So...practicing at home, may not be a TRUE comparison as to how you sleep after a day on the bike.

I, personally like a closed cell foam (Thermarest "RidgeRest") sleeping pad over an inflatable sleeping pad (Thermarest inflatable). Since time has worked its magic on the body...I may add a cot as shown above (I have slept very well on full sized cots in the past).
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Hammock sleeping KILLS my back. But then again, I'm not normal.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
I have a nice REI 3.5" self-inflating pad. It's a bit big when packed... 24x8 or so but it straps onto the bike just fine. It's VERY comfy, and my regular bed is a Tempur-Pedic!

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote