Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,527
BMW GS Trophy 2012

Just found this on FB:

GS Trophy 2012 is here sign up today!
GS Trophy is a challenge designed for motorcycling enthusiasts who wish to enjoy the GS experience together with like-minded individuals. All riders are encouraged to participate regardless of skill level. Attend the event simply for the opportunity to ride your BMW on a fun off-road course and take advantage of the weekend; or get serious about competing to be selected as a member of the USA team to compete against the rest of the world in South America this November. There will be two National Qualifier Events hosted in the USA 9/21 9/23. The East Coast Qualifier will be hosted in Spartanburg, SC and the West Coast Qualifier will be hosted in Moab, UT. For more details and registration information visit:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/..._overview.html

I'd certainly try out to do this again, if I wasnt already out of town.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
OUtback UFO
GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer: 2,595
I wonder if they will take only two from each qualifier and then no photo-journalist this year?

Wish i had the time to head to Moab... only 3 hrs from. but with Burning Man two weeks before and work... doubt it...

I free ride really only now... tired of the cooperate stuff...

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Die Hohen Berghunde Agent X

My Motorcycling fine art Books are avalible at Blurb.com, click below.

159059 ss ed. 159059 sl ed. and Motorcycling to Aesthetics:Australia
OUtback UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
2upadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
My Son and I are heading to South Carolina for the Qualifier Today we helped out with mileage checks for my clubs Duel sport. Figured if oldguys on DR's can make we should have no problem on GS's Even had the opportunity to show the kid how to remove the front wheel on the GSA and install a tube after he slammed into a rock ledge slicing the tire on a hill climb

Let the Fun Begin

2upadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
warped speed
n00b

Oddometer: 1
bmw gs qualifier.

BMW GS qualifier Spartanburg, SC, Just got an e-mail today from bmw. Thinking about it. Have a place nearby (160 mi.), just got back from SC with the family. Have pick up truck and Trailer, it is about 800 miles from home, Long Island, NY. Any info on the event, camping etc?

warped speed screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 11:11 AM
warped speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
GS Trophy

We are local to the Spartanburg Area

Can we be of any assistance?

Let us know if we can.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
I just sent in the entry form. Look forward to seeing the ADV contingent out in force. Keep an eye out for a all black 07 1200 with VA plates.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
I am in! Now I actually have to get in some sort of shape. Registered today. Hope I at least learn something.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
2upadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Seems that BMWNA changed the rules for the 2012 GSTrophy. Rule # 31 States that
" FORMER MEMBERS OF ANY INTERNATIONAL GS TROPHY TEAM ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO BE CHOSEN FOR 2012"

I tried to appeal this rule change but BMWNA wont even respond to an e-mail.

Best of luck to all that try out
2upadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Wtf! That completely blows!

The guys from other teams have been there twice already!

Errg.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
OUtback UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Wtf! That completely blows!

The guys from other teams have been there twice already!

Errg.

That was a rule in 2008 also... it was in the fine print but a few team allowed formal finalist to go for another try.. Bill Dragoo was a finalist in 2008 and made the team in 2010. Same goes for the imbedded riders... J Beck was on both 2008 and 2010 teams... Guess it is all who you know.

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUtback UFO View Post
That was a rule in 2008 also... it was in the fine print but a few team allowed formal finalist to go for another try.. Bill Dragoo was a finalist in 2008 and made the team in 2010. Same goes for the imbedded riders... J Beck was on both 2008 and 2010 teams... Guess it is all who you know.
Hey Mike- It was my understanding that one couldnt participate in an edition directly following one that you had been in, which makes sense. If you made it to the finals but didnt win, sure, go back and try again next time, thats good.

Now they're saying that if youve been sent at all you cant be sent again. Thats a drag.

J beck was on the organisation side for the 2010 edition, not as a competitor, as I recall. Same for this year.. in fact he's been there for a month already planning the route, and come home again.

I know for a fact that a few of the Spanish team and the Germans went to both '08 and '10, and I have to say that I dont mind waiting four years, but to be cut out for good makes me sad. But i understand that the US has a much bigger market to draw upon.

I was looking forward to bringing the trophy back home

SPeaking of which, are you going to try out again, this year?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
That totally sucks, I can't see why the rule even makes any sense.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
OUtback UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Hey Mike- It was my understanding that one couldnt participate in an edition directly following one that you had been in, which makes sense. If you made it to the finals but didnt win, sure, go back and try again next time, thats good.

Now they're saying that if youve been sent at all you cant be sent again. Thats a drag.

J beck was on the organisation side for the 2010 edition, not as a competitor, as I recall. Same for this year.. in fact he's been there for a month already planning the route, and come home again.

I know for a fact that a few of the Spanish team and the Germans went to both '08 and '10, and I have to say that I dont mind waiting four years, but to be cut out for good makes me sad. But i understand that the US has a much bigger market to draw upon.

I was looking forward to bringing the trophy back home

SPeaking of which, are you going to try out again, this year?

Dont know... if i am going to go to Moab... though it only 3 hrs from home... it seems to me to be a crap shoot... would rather do what you are in Aussyland if i still had the $$$. Still want to head back there and ride more desert that i did not do in 2001...

i know i kinda screwed myself in 08 when i pulled out of the finals...They called me and talked to me about it.. (little one got born a bit early) ... In 10 i went down hard from goosing it at sea-level riding.. you all remember the pict of me with 2+ feet under the rear tire and near vertical... almost landed it...but that only counts in hand grenades and horse shoes.... it is $$$ to just go for that one spot... dont know if they are picking one or two from each event. And i feel that they dont really tired out the riders (2010) to see who has the "STUFF" when the day is ending and you have to still ride hard just to get back to camp. It is $419 to sign up for the 3 days in Moab plus $49 to compete in the Trophy qualifier... So $500+ for a 3 day weekend is getting steeper then the slickrock climbs out in Moab.

I was my understanding from what i was informed in 08 that you only could go once even as a imbedded... I was under the impression the BMW as a whole wanted to have new riders each time to make it a clean slate each time so they could get more people involved as 'amature riders'. I agree it is not right to have other teams sending riders from the previous event. Share the riding with more is the way i see it now days.

Plus i tend to now days... to just free ride... and shoot for OTL... on the cover this month and got the centerfold pict... i am tired of dealing with corperate and dealing with having to "kiss up" to get jobs... At least i am one of the photos on the RawHydes Moab GS Trophy web page... (on 1150 with red beek)

Why not we just get together and go to SA and ride... not have to worry about all the hoopla in competing just ride hard...

Or here is the idea... we get an annual Trophy style event going in the US that is open to any large bike 650cc and above for small teams that does the GS Trophy thing but can pit different bikes against each other in two classes 650-900cc and 950-1200 with an HP class... do it for 5-7 days across the US in different spots...with more real type of adventure hardcore riding stuff... Think about... you to Jim... know you would like to do that.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000