Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
swiss-happy OP
Rubberburner Joe

Oddometer: 23
Laugh Owners Chat (with pics!): Honda NC700X

Hi all
I am Joe.

I see only 2 threads regarding Honda NC700X, a brand new Honda from the ground up design. These 2 threads addresses mainly curious people who have yet to take up ownership of this little wonderbike.

I am a happy owner of this and would like to share information with fellow NC700X owners via this thread.
Do you own this bike, and have you any stories or questions to share?

~Joe
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
I'm a new owner as well (been participating in the LONG thread so far), but following your lead, would like this one to be for questions, suggestions, etc about the bike, vs the other one that was mostly speculation, and in part due to me, ventured off into discussions of helmets, insurance, etc. :)

One thing that I just posted in that thread is that having had this bike less than 1 week, I've had 2 instances of the check engine light come on (as well as the display stop showing MPH). All it takes is to turn the key off, and turn back on and it rights itself. Curious if any other owners have seen this. Going to take it in this weekend to have them look at it, just sucks that the service dept doesn't take appt's at this dealer. Think I'm going to give them a LARGE dose of guilt so I can be at the front of the line seeing as I don't even have 100 miles on this bike yet...

Also--how do we post pics here?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
rowdymoose

Anyone know how to check for error codes on this bike? I'm getting the Check Engine Light to come on on every ride now of about 5 miles or more (still under 100 miles total as I don't want to go on a long ride if there's something more serious).

Do modern bikes have OBD2 ports that I can connect a reader/scanner to?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Anyone know how to check for error codes on this bike? I'm getting the Check Engine Light to come on on every ride now of about 5 miles or more (still under 100 miles total as I don't want to go on a long ride if there's something more serious).

I have a service manual ordered for the bike but do not have it yet. I could not find any info on the web on this topic. Lots of bikes have proprietary protocols and connectors. I had to get a special code reader for my BMW. Older Hondas used to output a code of long and short blinks that were referenced in the service manuals. Bike off, sidestand down, turn key on but don't start it, and check blinks. Not sure what they did on this one yet.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I have a service manual ordered for the bike but do not have it yet. I could not find any info on the web on this topic. Lots of bikes have proprietary protocols and connectors. I had to get a special code reader for my BMW. Older Hondas used to output a code of long and short blinks that were referenced in the service manuals. Bike off, sidestand down, turn key on but don't start it, and check blinks. Not sure what they did on this one yet.
It's surprising that as prevalent as the OBD2 protocol is on cars (and on Triumph bikes from what I hear/read) that all bike manufacturers haven't adopted this tech yet. Can't add much cost on a per unit basis...at least I wouldn't think so. This is frustrating to not trust my new bike enough to be able to ride it much...
Old 08-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
swiss-happy OP
Rubberburner Joe

Oddometer: 23
Hello all

Happy to see so many pictures and so much discussions here!

I really admire beemerphile for his hobbying ways...good man!
However, the Russell seat is just ketchup with ice-cream...no fit. Is that a chopper seat?

Stay cool and post more!
~Joe
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 441
Pick the wife's NC700XDC up this Friday. Man, it was crazy getting insurance going on it. Apparently Progressive had never "built" the DC "dual clutch" aka automatic version in their system before. They say it will be done tomorrow. We'll see. Looking forward to playing with it on the ride home for her.

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
shailu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
did any one buy the Honda rear trunk and saddlebags set if so how much did you pay or how much did the dealer quote.
shailu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:

Is there no warranty on your bike? Less than 100 miles? Man, take it to the dealer before you do something to give them issue with fixing the bike under said warranty. I feel bad for you and all with a brand new bike but come on, let Honda fix it. It might be something they really need to know about.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Is there no warranty on your bike? Less than 100 miles? Man, take it to the dealer before you do something to give them issue with fixing the bike under said warranty. I feel bad for you and all with a brand new bike but come on, let Honda fix it. It might be something they really need to know about.
Yes it's obviously under warranty but finding time to go drop it off, and having someone follow me to get a ride home is another thing. That's the plan for this weekend more than likely. Just being the enginerd that I am...wanted to do some diagnosis myself.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Mr. Moose,

I got my service manual on the 700x today and I did a little digging on your check engine light. I am assuming that you have the manual transmission model. There is no OBD2 type of hookup to the computer. The DTC's are read like older Hondas by interpreting the flash code. If there is no flash code, but the MIL is on steady, there are a couple of troubleshooting checks between the ECM connector and ground. After that, it says to replace the ECU with a known good one.

ETA 8-18-2012: See post #104 for corrections and more info

beemerphile screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 08:51 AM
Old 06-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Hock82
NC700X *****

Oddometer: 1
NC700X Engine Light Issues

In response to Rowdy Moose, 2 Months ago I brought a NC700X and on my first journey the engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer who kept it a day and said they fixed it. When I collected it it came back on... I took it back and they kept the bike for two weeks and low and behold I got it down the road and it came back on again. After a month of fighting with the dealer they gave me a replacement bike but I was told this was the first instance of this so I was interested in your post.

Quote:
I'm a new owner as well (been participating in the LONG thread so far), but following your lead, would like this one to be for questions, suggestions, etc about the bike, vs the other one that was mostly speculation, and in part due to me, ventured off into discussions of helmets, insurance, etc. :)

One thing that I just posted in that thread is that having had this bike less than 1 week, I've had 2 instances of the check engine light come on (as well as the display stop showing MPH). All it takes is to turn the key off, and turn back on and it rights itself. Curious if any other owners have seen this. Going to take it in this weekend to have them look at it, just sucks that the service dept doesn't take appt's at this dealer. Think I'm going to give them a LARGE dose of guilt so I can be at the front of the line seeing as I don't even have 100 miles on this bike yet...

Also--how do we post pics here?
Hock82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hock82 View Post
In response to Rowdy Moose, 2 Months ago I brought a NC700X and on my first journey the engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer who kept it a day and said they fixed it. When I collected it it came back on... I took it back and they kept the bike for two weeks and low and behold I got it down the road and it came back on again. After a month of fighting with the dealer they gave me a replacement bike but I was told this was the first instance of this so I was interested in your post.
Mine still comes on occasionally...maybe I need to go drop it off and have them work on it...maybe work out a trade on one of the red 2013's!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
This is how a manufacturer should handle a problem like this. Good on Honda and your dealer.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Learn to read the code. To several that this happened to it was the vehicle speed sensor. When the engine MIL light is on, pull over and put it in neutral at idle with the engine running and the side-stand down. The indicator will flash the code which you can look up in the service manual.