Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
FlyFishJeff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
No longer a virgin - dropped it yesterday.

There are two group's of riders, those that have dropped and those that will.

I moved from the latter into the former group yesterday.

Lesson learned: always put your uphill foot down after coming to a stop.

I am used to riding in very flat areas. After a gas stop in a very hiilly area in WV on my way to Pittsburgh. I came to a stop and attempted to put my left foot down as I always do. Surprise! The ground was a long way down, and the bike went over with a thud. It was a hell of a struggle picking it up since it had fallen over downhill of a steep incline.

The most damage was to my ego. Just a few scrapes on the corner of the Trax luggage, bar end, and engine guard. The bike has some character now, and so do I!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

FlyFishJeff screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 06:52 PM
FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 631
Welcome to the club! I've gotten used to dropping my 1150GSA now. I think I'm up to 4 drops at zero or one mile per hour. The most recent was last week in the parking lot of a Mexican food restaurant. I hopped off as it went over, stood there and had a good laugh about it, then got to the business of picking her up.

Such is life.
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Fool of a Took!

I had to spend a bit to get a mental picture of what you were describing... then I got it.
Bwah ha ha ha!

Come now, a Wee is not even that tall with the stock seat. Climb atop a KTM or XR and you'll see how/where you stop will really become a part of your riding consciousness.

BTW, even accounting for the extra weight, a GS is easier to pick up than most bikes due to the fairly high angle that the cylinder protectors help keep the bike "at rest".
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Ed~ screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 03:42 PM
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
FlyFishJeff OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed~ View Post
Come now, a Wee is not even that tall with the stock seat. Climb atop a KTM or XR and you'll see how/where you stop will really become a part of your riding consciousness.
It's all relative to the inseam, my friend!

I would be dropping a KTM constantly on level ground! My 31 inch inseam pretty much eliminates the big orange bikes for me.

FlyFishJeff screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 06:50 PM Reason: spelling
Old 08-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishJeff View Post
It's all relative to the inseam, my friend!

I would be dropping a KTM constantly on level ground! My 31 inch inseam pretty much eliminates the big orange bikes for me.
I've got a 30" inseam ride a bunch of different KTM's. It's about technique not getting your feet flat on the ground.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
FlyFishJeff OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
I've got a 30" inseam ride a bunch of different KTM's. It's about technique not getting your feet flat on the ground.
You're awesome!

I don't think I'll ever be comfortable on a bike as tall as the KTM. Luckily, there are other bikes with lower seat heights for me.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
Macho macho Maaaaaan,
I wanna be, a Macho Man...
Macho macho Maaaaaan,
I wanna be a MACHO!

But it's true... Don't think you need to put the feet down and you will ride differently.

Knowing your bike also helps:

MACHO!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Ed~ screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 09:30 PM
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
been there, done that . My bike isn't a GS, but I'm tiptoed on it. leisurely stop at a red light turned into a fall-off when I put the left foot down and initially didn't feel any ground there. doesn't help if you negligently let the handlebars turn in the direction of the drop all the while clamping down on that front brake. now I take a quick look before I stop to know what I'm up against. and keep the bars straight. and don't let that left foot step on any loose gravel or oil. (these really are all the thoughts going through my mind when coming up to a stop now).

It's helpful when there's a transient gentleman at the red light next to the interstate on ramp who will come out and help you pick up the bike
Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
A few weeks ago I pulled over on highway 1 to let 2 cars go by, the bottom of my left jeans leg got caught on the footpeg....my right foot was on gravel and the onshore wind was blowing me over to the left. I fell over right into the road and thought somebody was going to run over my head.

Cars pulled over everywhere to help, one car just drove right around me. After the bike was righted with assistance I told everybody "that was my first dump" with a big stupid grin on my face. Everyone left pretty quickly at that point.....

Either a car almost ran me over or it looked far more dramatic than it felt, everybody was very concerned that I was ok. Nice people to stop and help.

Later in a cafe I heard somebody say. "there's that bike...."

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
M.Mars
híppos leukós

Oddometer: 202
yup done that. Front wheel on the flat road while the rear wheel was still on a steep driveway. Needless to say where i wanted to put my foot was way way down.
M.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed~ View Post

Knowing your bike also helps:

MACHO!
Pretty sure that is a robot cop form the future.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #12
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 330
I got schooled

My DRZ when down and took me with it. First time laying it down happened on Saturday a nice day ride circumnavigating Mt. Hood began with a burley detour up Mt. Defiance. I was way in over my head skill wise for that trail. I fell 3 times on the way up and once on the way down. My bikes not so shiny anymore! Lucky it only suffered a half busted clutch lever. I learned a lot and didn't crash again... well, until the next day.
LittlePosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
sattwood3590
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Yep...me too!

The first time I dropped my 1200GS was at the motorcycle races in Auburn, Ca. Good a nice round of applause from those that saw it. Oh well!

--Steve
sattwood3590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
VegasDesertRat
n00b

Oddometer: 2
On my XRL, I've dropped it at least 6 times from stop to 2 mph,I have a 34" inseam,,
Glad I'm not alone....
VegasDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #15
FlyFishJeff OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasDesertRat View Post
On my XRL, I've dropped it at least 6 times from stop to 2 mph,I have a 34" inseam,,
Glad I'm not alone....

I posted the story of my drop for 2 reasons:

1. Hopefully somebody will avoid dropping the bike when stopping perpendicular on a hill by putting the UPHILL foot down.

2. Misery loves company!