ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
icebergstu OP
Husqvarna Tragic

Oddometer: 468
Garmin Montana 650t Aussie Users

Hey Guys,

Its my birthday and I was lucky enough to be given a Garmin Montana 650t.

Its my first proper GPS not electric street directory so I dont really know where to start.

It has Hema Maps with some incredible detail but there are so many things that this unit can do that my head is about to explode.

I searched the forum for details on this unit but didnt come up with much so I will start working out how to use it and will also post some helpful links and tips as I go along.

I will get a bike mount for it soon too.

The screen is great out in the full sun with really good clarity.

The touch screen is excellent and the menu's are quite like a smart phone.

The dashboard is great with a lot of features.

It is big...not sure if thats a good or bad thing so far but big screen means big bold icons, pointers and letters.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775

http://gps.about.com/od/handheldgpsr...GPS-Review.htm

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/vi...?f=38&t=127547

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=83071

Stu

icebergstu screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 05:57 PM
icebergstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Hi Stu, you must feel loved. I usually get socks and jocks for my birthday (and until now had considered I was doing well).

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I bought a 650t a few months ago and find it complicated. Had a few hiccups, one which was it didn't recognise the ACT when we drove into it . A day's driving around and it then discovered it. It would have had us drive on some lengthy trips if we didn't know it was wrong and take control. At least the girl telling us that the gps is 'recalculating' is now specking in a sexy french lauguage. Had it freeze a couple of time too.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,894
Its my 50th at the weekend and I had the same idea and yep a montana will be on the way shortly.
Most I have seen have Garmin Oz Topo loaded as standard, and the cheapest I have found is $686 complete with car mount and includes the Oz topo mapping . I will have to fork out another $45 for the amps mount to get it on the bike.

What did you pay and where did you get it from with the Hema Maps loaded.

What's everyone's thoughts on Hema Maps versus Garmin Oz Topo ?

I know you can load multiple map sets but I am tight on cash and need to get the best bundle at the best price.

Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
sierra_victor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
I will have to fork out another $45 for the amps mount to get it on the bike.

What did you pay and where did you get it from with the Hema Maps loaded.

What's everyone's thoughts on Hema Maps versus Garmin Oz Topo ?

I know you can load multiple map sets but I am tight on cash and need to get the best bundle at the best price.

Andy
Have a look at http://www.ryda.com.au/ProductDetail...65401&CartID=1 .

Can you also tell me how much ram is free on the Montana with Oz Topo loded??

Also you can read http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775

Thanks
Salty.

sierra_victor screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 02:12 AM
sierra_victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
icebergstu OP
Husqvarna Tragic

As it was a present I have no idea what it cost but it has come with a car mount and 12v charger.

I will strap it to the bike this weekend and lay down some tracks.

I am finding it complicated to use because I have no idea what I am doing but the more I read and watch, the clearer it is becoming.

The menu system is really clear and easy to use though.

Stu

Old 09-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Bluhduh 650t, I'm on my second...

Happy birthday Andy!

I've had my 650t for about seven months now. Actually, I'm on my second as the first crapped out on a ride with Dusty Rhodes (Steve/Yowie)

The problem with the first was that it lost the ability to find satellites. A bit of a bummer really when that's it's primary function.

To their credit GPSOz sent out a replacement very quickly. The unit, RAM mounts, bike mount, car mount, maps & 5 year warranty was about $900. I bought it on John Hudson from APC Rally's recommendation.

One way I'd suggest that you get used to it is to use it alongside your existing car GPS. That way you'll get to know it's idiosyncrasies in town in your car rather than in the Simpson Desert.

It's best feature in my opinion is the interface with Garmin Basecamp (you can download it for free) and build a route from Google Maps or get tracks from your mates (thanks Andy) and modify those as you go.

I'm not convinced that the unit has been tested properly for use on motorbikes (it sometimes freezes in calculating a route) and you'll probably feel like a beta-tester sometimes.

The battery connection is shit, you'll need to put a few layers of electrical tape on the battery to stop it disconnecting over rough ground (not good enough on a $900 unit in my opinion).

Overall, I'm very happy, but would be keen to install HEMA maps if someone can steer me in that direction.

Thanks for starting the thread, Boneman
Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
icebergstu OP
Husqvarna Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneman660 View Post
Happy birthday Andy!

I've had my 650t for about seven months now. Actually, I'm on my second as the first crapped out on a ride with Dusty Rhodes (Steve/Yowie)

The problem with the first was that it lost the ability to find satellites. A bit of a bummer really when that's it's primary function.

To their credit GPSOz sent out a replacement very quickly. The unit, RAM mounts, bike mount, car mount, maps & 5 year warranty was about $900. I bought it on John Hudson from APC Rally's recommendation.

One way I'd suggest that you get used to it is to use it alongside your existing car GPS. That way you'll get to know it's idiosyncrasies in town in your car rather than in the Simpson Desert.

It's best feature in my opinion is the interface with Garmin Basecamp (you can download it for free) and build a route from Google Maps or get tracks from your mates (thanks Andy) and modify those as you go.

I'm not convinced that the unit has been tested properly for use on motorbikes (it sometimes freezes in calculating a route) and you'll probably feel like a beta-tester sometimes.

The battery connection is shit, you'll need to put a few layers of electrical tape on the battery to stop it disconnecting over rough ground (not good enough on a $900 unit in my opinion).

Overall, I'm very happy, but would be keen to install HEMA maps if someone can steer me in that direction.

Thanks for starting the thread, Boneman
Cheers Boneman.

I think the idea of using it in conjunction with my Garmin Nuvi is a great idea and actually thought of taking the Nuvi out and just using the Montana but this makes more sense!

On further inspection I have the TOPO Aus & NZ map V3 - Not Hema although I have seen it somewhere? Maybe a symbol on the box got me confused.

Base camp is great and again simple to use. It updated a few things when I initialized the unit.

Not sure what you mean about battery connection. Have you used the AA batteries in place of the Lithium Ion provided at any stage yet?

Stu

Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
sierra_victor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergstu View Post
Cheers Boneman.

I think the idea of using it in conjunction with my Garmin Nuvi is a great idea and actually thought of taking the Nuvi out and just using the Montana but this makes more sense!

On further inspection I have the TOPO Aus & NZ map V3 - Not Hema although I have seen it somewhere? Maybe a symbol on the box got me confused.

Base camp is great and again simple to use. It updated a few things when I initialized the unit.

Not sure what you mean about battery connection. Have you used the AA batteries in place of the Lithium Ion provided at any stage yet?

Stu
Hi Stu,

Have a look at this thread Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs and the' New Garmin Montana' thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775 .

The problem with the battery moving is known and an easy soulition is to put an 'ear plug' on top of the battery to hold it in place. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3990.

I think you are right about the HEMA maps also as it is in the Garmin features for Aus/NZ TOPO. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=83071 .

Hope this helps.

Salty.
(Brian)
sierra_victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #9
icebergstu OP
Husqvarna Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_victor View Post
Hi Stu,

Have a look at this thread Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs and the' New Garmin Montana' thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775 .

The problem with the battery moving is known and an easy soulition is to put an 'ear plug' on top of the battery to hold it in place. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3990.

I think you are right about the HEMA maps also as it is in the Garmin features for Aus/NZ TOPO. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=83071 .

Hope this helps.

Salty.
(Brian)
Thanks mate! I copied the links and put them in the first post in case no-one bothers going past it.

Cheers Bigfella - Sounds like your a Mission Man when it comes to ADV riding. So there have been a few bugs but they seemed to have been sorted and now your happy.

Stu

Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
What I want to know, is if the Aussie Karen voice is authentic.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
My first Montana shit itself after 1 1/2 days on Cape York. I got a replacement unit, after some hassles, and have used it from Bali throught to the China border via Indo, Malaysia, Thailand and Laos. I've had the battery disconnecting issue.... and I've had issues with the Garmin maps for SE Asia. Now I've got good maps, its great. I use the Nuvi display option btw. Several of the guys I've ridden with in northern Thailand have them too...
Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Well I did it, I went to Johhny Appleseed in Zilmere Brisbane and asked if he would pricematch the best I found on the internet which was $686 but he insisted on adding freight but would sell me either the auto or marine set up pack. As the marine set up includes the amps mount it saved me buying that seperately so I got the set up I needed for $701.56 to screw it straight to my dashboard.
It comes loaded with Oz Topo which is great for bush but not much good for the car as the search for "points of interest" and stuff like that is nowhere as good as a standard road based GPS. To get that full functionality you need to get City Navigator maps on it as well as Oz Topo. Garmin sell City Navigator for another $189 so with money being short I will scab an unlocked copy from one of the gurus.
I connected it up to the puter and registered it and downloaded the latest software updates and also downloaded the puter software for it which is called "basecamp". Basecamp is the new improved version of mapsource and is a free download from the Garmin website as it does not come in the box with the new unit.
I started customising the settings in the unit to suit my needs and triggered a few unexpected shutdowns. After a little search on the internet I found this site that explains known software issues and gives a portal to pass onto Garmin so they can fix in future software updates.
http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Montana+Issues
Overall I am pleased so far but like the bike I have to go through all the issues and carry out the mods required to make this thing bulletproof on the bike, nothing comes "out of the box" set up for adventure riding.
Andy

Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Question Montana 650T Sammich Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Well I did it, I went to Johhny Appleseed in Zilmere Brisbane and asked if he would pricematch the best I found on the internet which was $686 but he insisted on adding freight but would sell me either the auto or marine set up pack. As the marine set up includes the amps mount it saved me buying that seperately so I got the set up I needed for $701.56 to screw it straight to my dashboard.
It comes loaded with Oz Topo which is great for bush but not much good for the car as the search for "points of interest" and stuff like that is nowhere as good as a standard road based GPS. To get that full functionality you need to get City Navigator maps on it as well as Oz Topo. Garmin sell City Navigator for another $189 so with money being short I will scab an unlocked copy from one of the gurus.
I connected it up to the puter and registered it and downloaded the latest software updates and also downloaded the puter software for it which is called "basecamp". Basecamp is the new improved version of mapsource and is a free download from the Garmin website as it does not come in the box with the new unit.
I started customising the settings in the unit to suit my needs and triggered a few unexpected shutdowns. After a little search on the internet I found this site that explains known software issues and gives a portal to pass onto Garmin so they can fix in future software updates.
http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Montana+Issues
Overall I am pleased so far but like the bike I have to go through all the issues and carry out the mods required to make this thing bulletproof on the bike, nothing comes "out of the box" set up for adventure riding.
Andy
Did you get a quote on a sammich box to suit? I am using RAM mounts but I know some of the real expert riders are using lunchboxes...
Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #14
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

No the sammich box is going, its very sad, I can screw the amps mount straight to the dashboard but I will need to figure out a mount for the UHF, I want to upgrade the UHF to a car type unit but can't afford it for a while.
Andy

Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
icebergstu OP
Husqvarna Tragic

Well I did my first ride with the Garmin Montana 650t on the weekend and what a waste of time even taking it on the bike.

The first little bump it went over, it just turned off and re-started again.

This went on for the first 5klm of riding so I turned it off and left it off.

Obviously was not ment for dirt bike riding...maybe smooth dirt roads only. I have not done anything to the unit besides mounting it. I have not modified the battery or anything.

Heres the vid.