User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Brodovitch OP
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Sprint Designs (Aus) Rallye jacket

I did a search on the forums before posting here, not sure if this belongs here or in the Gear section,
I assume some racers may have gotten their hands on one already, so I want to ask how they hold up to minor scuffs with bushes / trees .. is the material too susceptible to tearing?

General experience / satisfaction from any owners?

Scroll down to the Dakar Summer & Winter jackets here

I really need a lightweight jacket to replace my Desertika for temperatures above 20 degrees C - these look great, plus I can add some graphics to them... thoughts?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,856
^^^ Some of the West Aussie dakar competitors/ADV inmates over the last couple of years have used them - Safariberg, Rallye, etc.

PM/contact them and get some feedback...?

Like you (when I saw them originally) my first thought as to rally use, was the durability/abrasion resistence of the lightweight material, which looks akin to many of the lycra typ products used in cycling/triathlon etc. (which is the field/background - if am am not misstaken - that Sprint designs come from).

My interpretation (possibly incorrect) was that these lightweight summer "jackets" that they were possible not that much more resilient that a regular MX type jersey - in terms of durability/abrasion resistance - but they had the features of a jacket, with zips, vents, pockets and facility for neckbrace etc.

A bit like a yellow "tour de france" pullover... one thing, being light and the possibility to have them printed up/designed in the sponsors colours/logo easily, that possibly you would have a few of them in the gear bag... as opposed to just one relatively expensive heavy duty jacket?

I like the designs and look of the Sprit stuff... only the Kenny jackets of Despres/Coma etc. look as sleek, form fitting and light/functional of those jackets I have seen the last couple seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
biggles0449
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Jackets

Hey Angelo, nice find! Nice to have a few options for custom jackets.. be nice to know how these ones stand up to battle!

Did you speak to Patsy about the ones she had made for Desert Rose? They're pretty tough with loads of pockets and removable arms, so it converts into a vest.

I would definitely recommend them, if 2 improvements were made:

The stitch strength needs to be alot tougher, and tied off more often. I found that after my jacket having done Dakar Rally and then Tuareg.. the stitching along the zip tapes [up front and around the shoulders to attach arms] was letting go.

There should be strong elastic connecting the sip tape to the jacket on the shoulders, to allow for some stretch.. i have quite broad shoulders, so it puts a bit of pressure on the stitching, which doesnt help the durability, especially in a crash.

As for toughness, the material used is excellent, withstands reasonable offs on gravel, brushes thorns etc aside with no bother and the material breathes well. The option of vents on the front of the shoulders is a nice touch and with 2 large front pockets, 2 or 3 rear pockets and an inner map pocket, hidden behind your main zip baffle, then the storage options are massive!

Final option is the choice between having a cut for neck brace or a collared jacket.

The bonus with this jacket is its made in Holland and is fully design customisable.. i think they came in at around 250 euro.. if youre interested i can find out the manufacturer..
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
biggles0449
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
Brodovitch OP
Team ⌘R

Thanks guys,

Troy, I came across Garry's reference to the Sprint in his 570 prep thread, also remember him sporting one in Albania in '11 (?), obviously with the events I have in mind (Albania Sardegna and Serres) I need something really lightweight, temperatures at all 3 events should be around 30-35 degrees, I'll try and get a hold of Garry for some input.

Agree about ordering more than one though (the prices are cheap and certainly allow it), I got the same impression on their durability being comparable to an MX jersey (I shredded two in 5 days of Serres, and that was without any major falls / slides... just foliage damage)

Re: the Kenny jackets, all I seem to have been able to find are in Enduro weight cordura type fabric, not been able to find a lightweight / MX jersey comparable fabric like the pros use in the Dakar

Ben, I had a long chat with Patsy in Serres, and completely forgot to ask her about the DRR jackets , though to be honest I think they are a bit more heavy in terms of fabric than what I had in mind, all Desert Rose racers were wearing them as vests in Serres, a few with the front zipper lowered as well... so, a bit too hot for me. I will however replace my Desertika with a DRR jacket for cooler temperatures as soon as they become available... any further info appreciated, thanks!

Brodovitch screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 01:01 AM
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Kenny... where are you...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Re: the Kenny jackets, all I seem to have been able to find are in Enduro weight cordura type fabric, not been able to find a lightweight / MX jersey comparable fabric like the pros use in the Dakar !
Me too...

It seem's to me that the Kenny range of jackets/mx jeans etc. are made of the industry standard cordura/nylon fabrics more commonly used for offroad/enduro clothing... I assumed that the form/fitting lightwieght Kenny "Dakar" jackets/jersey that Despres/come and the other KTM factory pilots have sported the last couple of seasons are some sort of "special" that they have made up for the specific purpose... only the Kenny brand and sponsor logo's are put on in the teams regi. But a "production version" for the masses...? I haven't found one or heard mention of it either...?

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Thumb Italrally to the rescue...!!!

ask and ye shal recieve...

As an alternative for rally jackets made in Europe i can give you all informations about KENNY hand made rallyjackets,
for more informations write to
ma@worldwide-offroad-adventures.com

Quote:

Quote:
Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Me too...

It seem's to me that the Kenny range of jackets/mx jeans etc. are made of the industry standard cordura/nylon fabrics more commonly used for offroad/enduro clothing... I assumed that the form/fitting lightwieght Kenny "Dakar" jackets/jersey that Despres/come and the other KTM factory pilots have sported the last couple of seasons are some sort of "special" that they have made up for the specific purpose... only the Kenny brand and sponsor logo's are put on in the teams regi. But a "production version" for the masses...? I haven't found one or heard mention of it either...?
No, you are totaly wrong !

1. The KENNY handmade rally jackets are made from very thin cordura, not like the KENNY rally jackets they sell in the catalogue.
2. Cyril Despres and all the other riders which you can see in the Dakar pictures ( or other rallies ) have the same jackets from the same material ! Cyril has his for shure a special design, you can see on the last Dakar jacket a second big pocket on the back for a second camel bag ( USWE ).
3. All these jackets are made extra for any who wants his own design and a very light summer rally jacket with 5 pockets outside and 4 pockets inside. And a leatt brace neck. No removable arms.
4. I think 50% of the Dakar riders last year had a handmade KENNY rallyjacket.
5. In 2013 i will be able to produce also handmade pants for the jackets also.
6. This is not a seller forum so contact me via email: ma@worldwide-offroad-adventures.com
Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
I did a search on the forums before posting here, not sure if this belongs here or in the Gear section,
I assume some racers may have gotten their hands on one already, so I want to ask how they hold up to minor scuffs with bushes / trees .. is the material too susceptible to tearing?

General experience / satisfaction from any owners?

Scroll down to the Dakar Summer & Winter jackets here

I really need a lightweight jacket to replace my Desertika for temperatures above 20 degrees C - these look great, plus I can add some graphics to them... thoughts?

As an alternative for rally jackets made in Europe i can give you all informations about KENNY hand made rallyjackets,
for more informations write to ma@worldwide-offroad-adventures.com

Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
Brodovitch OP
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post
for more informations write to ma@worldwide-offroad-adventures.com
Thanks ItalRally! These are the Kenny jackets I had in mind, those are the perfect Dakar/long distance Rally dedicated jackets...

Now my only inhibition is that the races I can afford to run are only the smaller / Rally Lite series like the ones I mentioned above...

Factors for making me consider the lighter weight Sprint design are:

- smaller days / shorter liaisons: You spend more times in Specials in these events (hopefully, if they're done right) than a large Rally (Dakar, Heroes, Africa Eco etc). Starting time is rarely earlier than 6am, and in summer that;s around 17-20 degrees max.

- tighter riding course: Average speeds are around 50km/h, the European Rallies (I suppose they are very similar to the Italian MotoRally championship) have more of a cross country / enduro type terrain than flat out, 140km/h desert riding. From experience the best solution so far has been to wear an MX jersey over full body armor (I use the Acerbis Koerta suit), as witnessed also by photos from Albania / Sardegna etc... but that also means a water hydration backpack, and I currently carry all my tools in an enduro tool / bum bag. When you factor in the Leatt brace, things get really fussy

the reason I am considering a jacket instead of my current set-up is to get as much weight off me as possible, slip only the water bladder in the jacket, and I'm in the process of moving all my tools off my bum-bag and onto the bike... so, a jacket with 2-3 small pockets would be ideal: a phone, some gels and a pack of cigarettes.

And there you have it, it all comes down to the cigarettes

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Brodovitch screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 01:57 AM
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
biggles0449
Gnarly Adventurer

Another option would be to speak to Adventure Spec in UK... Stan Watt had some Klim jackets [lightweight model] customised for rallying, to accept neck brace and a few other adjustments, including the lining taken out.. local seamstress did all the work for them on behalf of Stan, he used those modified jackets in Dakar last year...
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #12
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles0449 View Post
Another option would be to speak to Adventure Spec in UK... Stan Watt had some Klim jackets [lightweight model] customised for rallying, to accept neck brace and a few other adjustments, including the lining taken out.. local seamstress did all the work for them on behalf of Stan, he used those modified jackets in Dakar last year...
Stan Watt was wearing a heavily modified Powerxross pullover.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...t-chooses-klim
http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/...ckets/3572-200

I would imagine that a KENNY would be a lot more customizable as far as graphics and sublimated sponsor logos.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #13
Brodovitch OP
Team ⌘R

Email sent
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124
I have a sprint designs rally jacket, it is excellent when in the dunes on hot slow going, but is very thin and will tear easily if you come off on rocky ground or in tress.Plus you wouldnt want to put much weight in the pockets.

The other jacket I use is the new Alpinestars venture jacket which is about the best off the self rally jacket about at the moment at about 170 euros.Its based on the jacket Coma uses.

beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
ASW offer a fully vented or non vented Rally jacket, in red or blue, with collar or without collar.

Can be bought via ASW agent (Bianchi Prata) in Portugal.

Definitely a good option too!