User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
How to turn?

So I have maybe 30 minutes "peg time" practicing figure 8's. I took a look at a Trials Training Center beginner video and they teach that you should lean the bike way over to turn. I have been just standing up vertical and turning the bars as far as I can. I tried turning leaning the bike over and it seems to work OK for me but.....I kinda like keeping the bike vertical better. Am I developing a bad habit that will cause me problems if/when I progress?
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Call me!!!!

See your PM
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
So I have maybe 30 minutes "peg time" practicing figure 8's. I took a look at a Trials Training Center beginner video and they teach that you should lean the bike way over to turn. I have been just standing up vertical and turning the bars as far as I can. I tried turning leaning the bike over and it seems to work OK for me but.....I kinda like keeping the bike vertical better. Am I developing a bad habit that will cause me problems if/when I progress?
Yes, you are developing a bad habit. I did the same with turning. I can turn "correctly" but I have to make a conscious effort - if I just ride naturally, I keep the bike near vertical and move my body incorrectly. Try to make the right way habit while you can.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,874
Videos have helped me with turning, more peg time is the answer!

Now how the heck can I make it acrose the balance board I mean it's only 10' long x 10" wide!
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Mike Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Total noob here, but throwing this out anyways..
From what I understand, you want to lean the bike into the turn so it would naturally turn the amount you want without handlebar input. To accomplish this you shift the weight on your pegs to get the desired lean.

So you steer with your feet.

Corrections and upbraiding concerning this theory are cheerfully welcomed...
Mike Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
How ever far you are leaning try to keep your head above the center line of the tire contact patches with the ground,this will keep you from tipping into the inside of the turn. This is one area a vintage bike will teach you better than a modern,they won't turn unless you lean them,and they fall over if your weight is too far in. A leaned over bike will take torque from the rear wheel better than just turning the front wheel,but you'll need to shift the weight back to the outside peg with it still leaned over before applying power.
If you do your turns while straight up you need good throttle and clutch control to keep from pushing the front wheel out....Now If I could just practice what I preach

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
SCExpat OP
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
I knew there was a lot more to it than just turning the wheel......but I just want to believe it could be so simple. This is almost like learning to ride all over again and I expected to ride just like a dirt bike......but it is turning (no pun intended) out to be quite different.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
I knew there was a lot more to it than just turning the wheel......but I just want to believe it could be so simple. This is almost like learning to ride all over again and I expected to ride just like a dirt bike......but it is turning (no pun intended) out to be quite different.
When I started riding Trials at 40, after having ridden motorcycles since my early teens and going all the way through a racing career, I didn't learn to ride all over again, I learned how to ride for the first time.

By the way, there's a Trial next Sunday at Hayden ID. Why don't you carpool with one, or more, of the Boise boys and come on up?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
When I started riding Trials at 40, after having ridden motorcycles since my early teens and going all the way through a racing career, I didn't learn to ride all over again, I learned how to ride for the first time.
Ditto. Amazed at how much OT taught me in a short period of time.

I had ridden/raced for 25 years in every genre of motorcycling... I thought I knew how to ride. Then I tried my hand at OT! It teachs (forces) you to learn everything about how a motorcycle reacts to the terrian and your input. This "re-learning" affected how I ride all bikes now... whether street or dirt.

I have been out of OT for almost 20 years now, but that training has stuck with me.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
Bob_M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
push on outside peg

I got a great tip this weekend and it worked great. Try to apply pressure on the outside peg by pushing hard as you turn and hold the pressure while you lean the bike over. It feels very different from standing up and will almost force you to stay on top of the bike.

To turn left, pressure onright peg while initiating the left turn and hold the pressure on the peg, try really pushing on the peg

Try this in some figure 8s.

It worked for me this weekend in Exeter, RI on the off camber sections and there were a lot of them.

1996 Gas Gas JTR270, 2001 Ducati ST4
1977 Honda 750F2, 1970 Honda QA50
Bob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
I got a great tip this weekend and it worked great. Try to apply pressure on the outside peg by pushing hard as you turn and hold the pressure while you lean the bike over. It feels very different from standing up and will almost force you to stay on top of the bike.

To turn left, pressure onright peg while initiating the left turn and hold the pressure on the peg, try really pushing on the peg

Try this in some figure 8s.

It worked for me this weekend in Exeter, RI on the off camber sections and there were a lot of them.
I suppose one could do the same with a Honda Gold Wing or a Harley if they where an acrobat? World class!
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
I suppose one could do the same with a Honda Gold Wing or a Harley if they where an acrobat? World class!
Local Harley chapter, has events where we do a slow race. the techniques are similiar, but the fact that 99% of the riders do NOT outweigh a full dress harley davidson... However, means techniques work, but have to be modified a little since there is almost no way I can put 200lbs of my body weight on the right footpeg, to compensate for 900lbs of top heavy "HOG" headed to the ground on the left side...

But the practice does work, usually your sitting down, slipping your ass from side to side on the seat, trying to keep 900lbs as close to upright as possible so you can keep the behemoth, from overtaking your fractional of total bike and rider weight, and slamming you down to the earth. or putting your foot out to dab which means you lose.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #13
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
http://trialstrainingcenter.com/how-...s/basic-turns/
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #14
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post

The physics of such an exaggerated turning technique escapes me and frankly it looks unnecessary.

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
The physics of such an exaggerated turning technique escapes me and frankly it looks unnecessary.

Dave
Dave, how long you been riding trials?

Go see some videos on youtube, you will see from time to time, even Toni Bou has to use such techniques.

Here to be more specific, unfortunately this video is on a hill, but the priciple is EXACTLY the same, you let the bike lean, you move your body around to keep the bike balanced. http://vimeo.com/6957480 this guy 2 ply, he's got a lot of nice basic information and instruction videos on Vimeo. Remember, one is the "student" in the shots, so watch carefully. he's learning how to adjust his weight to keep the bike balanced in turns, be it flat ground or hillsides.

More: http://vimeo.com/9877206

one more: http://vimeo.com/2783291

Sting32 screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 09:12 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote