Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Question Open face helmet, night riding+sunglasses??

So if you ride with a MX style open face helmet, and theres no shield, and you are wearing sunglasses, what do you do when it starts to get dark?

I found myself in this situation a few times, where it gets too dark that i have to remove my sunglasses, then have no eye protection at all, bugs hitting my eyes, and wind too, no bueno, what are my options?

*my helmet is a AFX FX-39 which has a shield, but i remove it for the summer time, too hot, and never use it, dont want to put the clear shield back on, like it with it off in the summer time.
*I never ride with goggles on, always sunglasses, dont like goggles, even when off roading, always sunglasses

Do some of you guys keep a spare set of maybe like clear protective power tools glasses from the home depot or something, and just throw those on for eye protection?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
I don't ride in sunglasses, ever. But when I have my dirt bike helmet and goggles on, I do try to remember to keep a spare clear lens for my goggles with me some place.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
So if you ride with a MX style open face helmet, and theres no shield, and you are wearing sunglasses, what do you do when it starts to get dark?

I found myself in this situation a few times, where it gets too dark that i have to remove my sunglasses, then have no eye protection at all, bugs hitting my eyes, and wind too, no bueno, what are my options?

*my helmet is a AFX FX-39 which has a shield, but i remove it for the summer time, too hot, and never use it, dont want to put the clear shield back on, like it with it off in the summer time.
*I never ride with goggles on, always sunglasses, dont like goggles, even when off roading, always sunglasses

Do some of you guys keep a spare set of maybe like clear protective power tools glasses from the home depot or something, and just throw those on for eye protection?
I wear WileyX glasses. The ones Ive got have a foam gasket around them. Wear them on and offroad. I carry a second pair with clear lenses in them for night riding.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 935
Uvex Seismic

Have the foam liner to keep stuff from going around the lenses.

On amazon for about $14/pair. Come in clear, amber, dark, UV. For the price of one pair of Wileys you can have one of each flavor and buy a sandwhich

The wileys are nice, but I got a bunch of these for free from a buddy who works for a utility company.

http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S0601X-Es.../dp/B003OBZ52K

They come with stalks like normal glasses and the headband thing, but the headband wont work for around the helmet.
thisflatearth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
When caught out with a dark shield, I've stopped at Wal-Mart or Home Depot and bought inexpensive yellow safety glasses. Dark shield up or off and then the glasses.

SUCKS when it's cold though :)
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I always have eye protection over my eyes. I have that same situation happen every day I ride to work, I wear a full

face helmet. When I leave for work work in the afternoon, its dark safety glasses with a dark smoke or mirror shield on

my Scorpion. In the early am.....3amish..... on my way home, I use a clear shield on my helmet with a pair of clear

safety glasses on. That way if I want to ride with my shield open, and I do lots, I have protection over my eyes. Go

to Home Depot, Walmart or Harbor Freight and get some eye protection. ANYTHING that is safety glasses is MUCH

better than what your doing now. If you don't have luggage on your bike, put the glasses in an old sock (clean) and put

them in your jacket pocket or your lunch bag/cooler. Just DO cover your eyeballs. You only get two ya know.

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
I have and Arai XD-4 with a clear shield and ride with the shield down at speeds above 20mph, but I always have some type of glasses on too.
During the day I use Nike sunglasses, and switch to another pair of Nike sunglasses with orange lenses for rain or night use.
Another option is to use sunglasses with multiple interchangeable lenses.
It would require less space than carrying another pair of sunglasses.
I did this for a while, but now have plenty of space for the extra pair of frames.
Good luck.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #8
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,499
Find the nearest Home Depot/Lowes/Hardware store and pick up a pair of clear safety glasses. Seeing that they're <$5/pair, grab two and stash the spare somewhere on your bike or in your gear.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
you go ride one day and come back disfigured for the rest of your life? no thanks.

And I am not talking about an accident, but just about a 3/4 inch rock that some truck lift up and threw in your face at 60 mph... Only been riding 50 thousands miles and already happened twice to me. Yesterday actually. Which is why I am a bit sensitive to the topic. Always wear full face.

And full gear. Some redneck from a no helmet law state shouted at me thinking he was making a good joke: "hey, looks like you are ready to get run over!" To which I calmly answered, "just fall once, you will know what you need." They usually humbly dont argue after that.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Find the nearest Home Depot/Lowes/Hardware store and pick up a pair of clear safety glasses. Seeing that they're <$5/pair, grab two and stash the spare somewhere on your bike or in your gear.
Yep. I found a small case somewhere a while ago that has velcro straps, fits on the handlebars nicely. I have a pair of glasses and a small rag wrapped up in there, works out good for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
you go ride one day and come back disfigured for the rest of your life? no thanks.

And I am not talking about an accident, but just about a 3/4 inch rock that some truck lift up and threw in your face at 60 mph... Only been riding 50 thousands miles and already happened twice to me. Yesterday actually. Which is why I am a bit sensitive to the topic. Always wear full face.

And full gear. Some redneck from a no helmet law state shouted at me thinking he was making a good joke: "hey, looks like you are ready to get run over!" To which I calmly answered, "just fall once, you will know what you need." They usually humbly dont argue after that.
*Disclaimer* I do not ride ATGATT. I'm more of a MTGMTT (most of the gear most of the time)

Safety glasses aren't the best option for sure, but I still wear them a lot, along with a ton of other guys I know. I've never been hit while riding like you have, but I've had safety glasses take pretty hard hits at work and not break. I've gotten black eyes before, (once) but the glasses stayed intact. That particular hit was from a chunk of a cut-off wheel a co-worker was using, the wheel broke apart and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hit dead center of the lens and didn't break.

On a long street bike tour, yeah I'm in a full face. On the Sportster I always wear an open face 3/4 helmet, and when on the XR or KLR and hitting some dirt I wear a motocross helmet with either glasses or goggles, depending on the weather. I try to weigh the risk of eye injury against the comfort level and risk of heat exhaustion, then decide from there what to wear. 90 degree day, planning on riding road for a few hours then hitting a trail? You'll see me in Tech 8's, jeans, t-shirt, gloves, and a helmet with glasses.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
Slvrtundevl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Www.solidstatecovers.com.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvrtundevl View Post
That strap system looks like it would get uncomfortable very quickly.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:

Why not wear a full face helmet?? I thought the medieval look was out.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
THIS! ......... instead of a nice comfortable, quiet full face? No fooking way! My Gawd what people will wear to look "cool"

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Go buy a pair of clear safety glasses, often find them in the hunting section of Wally's, Target, Harbor Frt, Nothern Tools, etc.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote