User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
wardie OP
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 214
Honda TL 250 need lights

I have a 1976 Honda TL250 and I would like to add lights for an annual event that I'd like to ride with my buddies. Lights are a requirement because the bikes come off the mountains onto fireroads/public roads and back onto the mountains. Can anyone suggest a factory kit or aftermarket kit for this bike? Thanks Wardie
Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,406
Honda had a lighting kit for them back in the day and many TL's were sold with it installed. Others I expect were removed and thrown into a box so there might be some out there to be found with a bit interweb work. I expect there may be some aftermarket options as well.
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Honda had a lighting kit for them back in the day and many TL's were sold with it installed. Others I expect were removed and thrown into a box so there might be some out there to be found with a bit interweb work. I expect there may be some aftermarket options as well.
Heck, you can find "any" lights from any old bike, and hook them up, really. in the realm of things, Trials bikes were 1% of total production or less, but most competitiors would take them off as they uncrated the bike. The lights were probably taken from another "model" and not much to modify to the TL.

Heck I say just look around for any older bike, old honda dirt bikes, and use them. Somewhere there's got to be a link to wiring diagram, I know there was diagrams for old Yamaha trials bikes. I have to laugh, in the early 80's we took the lights from 2 TY trials bikes, mounted them on a golfcart. they are probably worth something nowdays, but who knows.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
I bought a "76 TL250 New from the dealer in "77 or "78 for $750. They were just trying to get rid of them. I used it for a Colorado trail bike. Put a bigger plastic tank on it and rode it all over. Worked great. It didn't come with a headlight, but I put one on it. IIRC it was really simple. Just a switch and a clamp on headlight. I think it had a lighting coil and the wires were there somewhere. I know that's not much help, but I don't remember having to add a R/R or it being a problem at all.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
GarageRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
I have seen the TL light kits, seldom on a bike though. I am going to the York swapmeet next week, I will keep my eyes open for it, for you.

Can you please post pics of your TL-I am very curious about the plastic tank, as I am looking to put one on mine.

Thank you.
GarageRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
wardie OP
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 214
any info on lighting coil TL 250 or lights?

Still looking to wire in lights (Head/Tail) on my 1975 TL 250.

I know from seeing schematics they had lights so I'm assuming there's a wiring coil in there?

Any help on what I could put on? Don't want a $300 headlight it's a trials /woods bike not concours..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
You could probably put any trials headlight on. I would be looking for a ty 175 or 250 headlight. They were built well and should be easier to find. Also the xl250 and 350 engines were very similar. So a basket case old Honda might be worth it. The xl 350 had a heavier flywheel.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote