Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Oddometer: 807
A much lighter 950 adventure...

...how to make one??

I guess a two in one akra, single front disk, rims?, CPR air box, smaller tail...

Please tell me more, give me number, loads of speculations and plenty of pictures

Ciao

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,861
Start with a SE for one.

Then just resign yourself to the fact that they can't get much lighter without Powercell efforts and that KTM gave up and built a luxo-barge to replace it.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
...Then just resign yourself to the fact that they can't get much lighter without Powercell efforts and that KTM gave up and built a luxo-barge to replace it.
But to be fair-- a luxo-barge that similarly equipped (crashbars and skidplate) looks like it weighs less than the 9x0.

Sorry to confuse the issue with some apparent facts We're all just speculating on the same published information.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

There is no isses here. I like the 950/990 and I had three over 7 and odd years. I don't like the se even if I am sure is good.
The question is just: how I can get a lighter 950 that will help me riding better off road...or at leat easier for an avarage rider as I am????

Ciao

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
The question is just: how I can get a lighter 950 that will help me riding better off road...or at leat easier for an avarage rider as I am????
You've gotten a lot of good advice so I'll offer some you didn't ask for.

If you're really truly trying to ride better off road take a school. I can pretty much promise you that there is no part you can add or replace that will do more for you than a single day of professional instruction. It's not cool because its not something you can point to but what's so great about it is its the one thing you can keep transferring to every new bike you own. It works on any bike and unlike parts it gets better with use. When I road raced I took every school I could find and it made a huge difference. Same with dirt. Even at the Bend rally I skipped a ride to do Jimmy's class and the simple skills and exercises were great - even if I knew them.

The 950 is a pig. As Navin says there's nothing you'll be able to do to "fix" the weight so learning to ride it better will pay more dividends. But as others have said suspension (I've used Super Plush for years on my bikes) and tires goes a long ways.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
You've gotten a lot of good advice so I'll offer some you didn't ask for.

If you're really truly trying to ride better off road take a school. I can pretty much promise you that there is no part you can add or replace that will do more for you than a single day of professional instruction. It's not cool because its not something you can point to but what's so great about it is its the one thing you can keep transferring to every new bike you own. It works on any bike and unlike parts it gets better with use. When I road raced I took every school I could find and it made a huge difference. Same with dirt. Even at the Bend rally I skipped a ride to do Jimmy's class and the simple skills and exercises were great - even if I knew them.

Gregor
Gregor,

Thatnks for that. You are 100% right. I thought about it but I have never done. You see I am one of that rider that with the bike has slowly slowly learned to do a bit everything at accetable level...I have just been to lazy to become a champion...

...but you are right, I will look into this, as hard off road is my weakest point!

Now a couple of things more. Your website is so cool! You are a lucky man dealing for work,with bike at such quality level...reformulating having made of your passion such high quality job.

And that is why in this picture capture me last week...

Ciao

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

It cab get lighter but it will never be light.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,138
Quote:
It can get lighter but it will never be light.
+1

There isn't one bike that does everything I want it. Though a 690 + RR fairing kit is looking mighty tempting, just not on the wallet!
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,211
The suspension and consequent ridability is what sold me on this bike years ago, that's still its strong play, that and mondo usable power. Do the cans, that's the biggest weight drop; I did it 'cause it saves the weight of the Gobis.

I passed a whole bunch of bikes on a go-kart track last weekend with my 950A on used Skorps; lowest bike lap time, literally lapped the whole gang once/twice in a 20 min session, including so-called supermotos. I couldn't do that if the suspension/tires/motor didn't work.

But it ain't ever gonna be an SE with tank and farkles. May not be your cup of tea, but in baja they rock!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Better to improve suspension if you have stock than to chase a unicorn IMO. I have a 2-1 Q4 on the SE, honestly it feels the same as the previous stock can on a 2-1, which didn't translate to a lighter feel from the 2-2 stock cans. I deleted a bunch of wiring. Same. Used a ultra lite headlight and enduro taillight, same. I chopped out my subframe undertray, same. Sure, it all adds up but tires and suspension made the real differences I could feel.

Back on my Adv I deleted a front brake, felt nothing. Cans, nothing.

Going from the Adv to the SE, yeah, that I could feel too! Felt 100 lbs lighter.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Quote:
Better to improve suspension if you have stock than to chase a unicorn IMO. I have a 2-1 Q4 on the SE, honestly it feels the same as the previous stock can on a 2-1, which didn't translate to a lighter feel from the 2-2 stock cans. I deleted a bunch of wiring. Same. Used a ultra lite headlight and enduro taillight, same. I chopped out my subframe undertray, same. Sure, it all adds up but tires and suspension made the real differences I could feel.

Back on my Adv I deleted a front brake, felt nothing. Cans, nothing.

Going from the Adv to the SE, yeah, that I could feel too! Felt 100 lbs lighter.

So what you are saying is that taking some 10kg off from cans and brakes won't make any difference?
In all honestey when I fitted akras on my 950 and on the 990 after I couldn't feel handeling difference. However I guess I din't try to put all the saving together and then ride off!

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Old 09-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
So what you are saying is that taking some 10kg off from cans and brakes won't make any difference?...
Well, it's 10kg easier to pick up At my age, that's a benefit.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I've dropped about 25-30 lbs just by glancing and no, it didn't/doesn't feel any lighter and when it falls in mud or sand it sure isn't feeling any lighter, and if it tips over in the garage it sure doesn't feel lighter. I think once the bike crosses about 360 lbs they are just a friggin anchor. It could weight 50 lbs more or less at least I wouldn't feel it and I ride mine 90% off road in deep sand whoops at high speeds. It is a barge.

However, the suspension made a huge difference and tires, well, real dirt tires are the cats pajamas. The right tires are the biggest difference of all.

I can barely feel when my 7.9g safari if full or empty while riding. I feel it when moving it by pushing as it is more top heavy but in motion under power no.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,555
You have to think about what it is you like about the Adventure. Those things that make it different from the SE that are not negotiable. Fairing? Storage? Fuel capacity?

Everything else is fair game.

Titanium frame?

Carbon fiber wheel set?

Flux Capacitor?

Considered putting Helium in the tires?

I've seen bicyclists chase the ever elusive "lighter bike" and spend tens of thousands of dollars in the process, and ended up with a very light bike that they didn't really enjoy riding. They had a sub-twenty pound mountain bike with no suspension, small tires, and a very stiff frame.

I'd agree about putting money in suspension and tires before you put the bike on a diet. What you may really be after is ride-ability, not necessarily lower weight.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,077
Put the motor in a cr 500 frame..
I love my 950 adv. after the suspension work I FEEL I can ride it much like my 525. not really, but close
Loosing the stock cans is a good thing. Other than that I think spending efforts on weight loss is relatively fruitless.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote