Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
KTM 990 Adventure as first ADV bike

Hello,

After reading many posts on this forum I see that a lot of people have several years off road riding experience before they switched to 990 Adventure.

I would like to ask if someone has 990 Adventure as they first bike? Or it's too much weight and power for the beginner.
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 243
Was your first car a Porsche 911?
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
Was your first car a Porsche 911?
Nice! I like your way of thinking.

If under specific situation I would get the Porsche for the right price as my first car, than yes.
Here I have an opportunity to get 990 at the very reasonable price.
However don't want to get something bigger than I can handle.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 243
Have you ridden any other motorcycle before? It will be kinda hard to tell what you are comfortable handling if you're a blank slate, so to speak.

I would suggest to start on a smaller bike, but I imagine some people would pick up on it right quick.

Do it!
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
Have you ridden any other motorcycle before? It will be kinda hard to tell what you are comfortable handling if you're a blank slate, so to speak.

I would suggest to start on a smaller bike, but I imagine some people would pick up on it right quick.

Do it!
Thanks for not sarcastic reply.

Yes, I had experience of the street sport bike. I also tried F800GS (very short period)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
FalloutMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyaon View Post
Thanks for not sarcastic reply.

Yes, I had experience of the street sport bike. I also tried F800GS (very short period)
My experience was off of a street bike to the Adv. I didn't have any problems except getting used to being up higher which makes everything feel slower so you end up speeding all the time. I love every second of it and wouldn't trade the 990 for anything, well until I wanna change my oil.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Gronked
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm no expert, but it whether or not this is a suitable first bike may depend on somethings like your physical size and hence ability to move it around and pick it up when you drop it etc.

Also your age, and maturity level when it comes to riding like a nit and getting in over your head speed and terrain wise.

If riding off road, will you be riding alone? Do you have mates to teach you riding technique off road, or will you be doing any dual sport riding courses?

I have heard of people buying an F800GS as their first dual sport bike, so I guess in theory a 990 wouldn't be out of the question... if you ride within your limits. You can get yourself into trouble riding a 990, 250, or 110cc postie bike.
Gronked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Grinderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
First street bike I owned and 2nd dirt bike. The first dirt bike I owned was a drz 100 25 yrs ago. I have learned to ride the big ktm in the dirt just fine. Respect loose downhills and know your limits with the bike. It takes a fall with the best of them and you well have a ball!!! Do it, it well not be regretted.
Grinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
propilot10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
My 990 was my first bike. I'm 38 and reflective and cautious. It's been pretty easy for me to get use to. Just be mindful when you head out of all the potential dangers and ride within your comfort and experience level. I think the best place to start is a rider safety course if you haven't done so already and if it's been a long time might consider doing it again. This should give you a good idea where your at. In most areas they provide you with a small bike to get your feet wet. Then if you get the ktm you can take it down and go through the intermediate and even advance classes. Most are taught using your bike. That way you can gain experience on it with expert supervision. Plus it will drop your insurance rates.

Just a thought. You will be safer and feel confident. Hope this helps.
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by propilot10 View Post
My 990 was my first bike. I'm 38 and reflective and cautious. It's been pretty easy for me to get use to. Just be mindful when you head out of all the potential dangers and ride within your comfort and experience level. I think the best place to start is a rider safety course if you haven't done so already and if it's been a long time might consider doing it again. This should give you a good idea where your at. In most areas they provide you with a small bike to get your feet wet. Then if you get the ktm you can take it down and go through the intermediate and even advance classes. Most are taught using your bike. That way you can gain experience on it with expert supervision. Plus it will drop your insurance rates.

we are all different and have different backgrounds.
but i think this is the best advice, courses.
BTW: 950/990 like to get you into trouble, they are bikes that demand good drivers.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Quote:

Thank you for all your replies. propilot10 and GoNOW put exactly what I was looking for. Their experiences. I understand that it all depends on a lot of parameters of specific rider. What I was looking for is your personal experiences which I could relate.

If anyone else have more to share, please do so.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:

This is exactly my situation as well. I'm the same age, have two young children who depend on me as I'm a part-time stay at home dad and run a business from home as well. I think about that every time I get on the bike. I'm well past my "push it until you find the limits" years and am content to have a good time while not risking my livelihood. I've had the 990 for two years now and love every second I spend on it (which is never often enough).

That said, I'm sure there's much to learn from thrashing smaller bikes. I do wish I had a motorbike in my younger years.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,907
I don't care if your riding the 9x0, a CB360, or a GSXR600 it's your personality and choices that will dictate most of what happens. When I don't have a good hold of the reigns of my mind and or my right wrist I will get myself in trouble. I know that if I hadn't waited until my late 20's to get back on a bike I likely would have died...... even then people look at me funny sometimes And it ain't 'cause I'm on the wife's sherpa.

990 as a first bike? Sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years you tell others it wasn't the best approach, and that they should get some time on a lighter bike to start with.

BTW, my first bike was a full dress 80's leadwing........
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
If it right for you or not is entirely up to you!

Can share my experience!

Had a blast as a kid on a small PW50.

After that a Puch Florida and a Gilera Bullit in my teens.

Took the motorcycle license at 18 but no bike for quite some years after that.

Ended up getting a dirt bike Suzuki RM125 but that was at my dads place and going there to ride was a hassle so my dad mainly used it. So bought a Honda CRF450 Motard that also had a set of dirt wheels but longest trip I did was like 30km it was a pain.

Searched the internet and had my mind set on a 950 Adventure that I bought and have never looked back, sure I dont use its full potential but really love it!

It handles everything, sure its heavy and gets scratched up.

I ride quite a lot alone and then you have to pace yourself and hold back cause if anything goes bad at modest speeds on a heavy bike you can be in BIG trouble very quickly, rather have a slow speed tipover then a higher speed crash even if the obstacle would have been easier to pass with a little speed.

So if you like the bike and have the funds for it GO FOR IT, if you dont like it you will probably loose money selling.

How was it? "He who has played with the most toys when he dies wins!"

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
This is exactly my situation as well. I'm the same age, have two young children who depend on me as I'm a part-time stay at home dad and run a business from home as well. I think about that every time I get on the bike. I'm well past my "push it until you find the limits" years and am content to have a good time while not risking my livelihood. I've had the 990 for two years now and love every second I spend on it (which is never often enough).

That said, I'm sure there's much to learn from thrashing smaller bikes. I do wish I had a motorbike in my younger years.
Thank you for your reply. Could you tell what was your challenges at the beginning?
Was it hard to get use to engine power and the bike weight?
What about driving on the road and challenges handling the bike?
What had you made to choose 990 instead of the another model or brand?