ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
AdvRonski OP
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 670
OK, It's Official- I HATE BASECAMP!

I've tried to get used to it. I've tried to wean myself from Mapsource. I finally just settled on using BC as little as possible, just to tweak things in the Montana when needed.
Yesterday, BC said it had a software update to 4.0.2- and I was foolish enough to trust it.
It wiped out the dozen-or-so maps I had on Mapsource in a Digital Bloodbath!
It screwed me, and I didn't even get a kiss.
And it took me a while to figure out where all the data went in the left-side pane.
For some reason, they made the "adventures" area HUGE, like it's some king of BFD.
Could they possibly make it any less intuitive?
Jeez
Old 09-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Jeez
The Windows version? No. . .

Mac-BaseCamp on the other hand has completely different Tool methods for Route and Track editing and it is quite easy to get the hang of if you watch the video tutorials once.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
5 Hour Butt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Overcoming tech issues with Base Camp

Just to help out if you have an issue with Base Camp (BC) call Garmin Tech Support. Those folks are always so helpful. Super nice and I have had a few issues and they always got me through the solutions. Just thought I'd toss that out in case it is useful To get the phone number just go to the Garmin website. I did that and pasted the numbers in below.

Phone Numbers

US: 913-397-8200
US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020
Canada: 1-866-429-9296
Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
This Wikispace provides some useful information to help you get started with BaseCamp. I found the transition from Mapsource to BaseCamp very frustrating (and I am computer savvy). Having made the transition, I cannot imagine going back to Mapsource.

Read the Wiki, study the help file, and if you still cannot understand a particular BaseCamp operation, post your question here. There are many knowledgeable BaseCamp users here who can help you.

Garmin has made it clear that BaseCamp represents the path of their future software development, and using BaseCamp will be necessary with Garmin's future GPS products if you want to realize all the features and capabilities they will offer you.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,812
Until the Windows version of Basecamp can be used to build seamless routes, combining mapped roads with unmapped ones, it is useless to me.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Until the Windows version of Basecamp can be used to build seamless routes, combining mapped roads with unmapped ones, it is useless to me.
Just starting to explore the GPS world & combining trails (some unmapped) with roads with be a prime use if I were to use one.

What DOES offer that capability?
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post
Just starting to explore the GPS world & combining trails (some unmapped) with roads with be a prime use if I were to use one.

I've done it with mapsource and my 478. AFAIK The trick is to do it with a unit that doesn't recalc the route when it's first opened. The 478 just opens the route and starts following it exactly as it was created in mapsource. Many garmin units see the route as a series of via/shaping points and then calc the route on the unit via those points.

The way I've done it in mapsource(seems to also work in basecamp) is to switch mapsets as I'm calcing the route. City navigator for the bit where there are routable roads and such, then switch to topo or roads and rec which forces the route to be direct routing, then back to a road switch back to CN which turns on follow roads again.

Where the fuck is the road?

Boon Booni screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 12:56 PM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Many garmin units see the route as a series of via/shaping points and then calc the route on the unit via those points.

A couple of our crew used to have Zumos and this was a constant issue. Worthless for following a predetermined route!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
The trick is to do it with a unit that doesn't recalc the route when it's first opened. The 478 just opens the route and starts following it exactly as it was created in mapsource. Many garmin units see the route as a series of via/shaping points and then calc the route on the unit via those points.
Thanks for the replies. How would you know if a unit you're looking at does a recalc?

I have also been reading about the differences between tracks & routes, seems like this would figure in there somewhere.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post

Mapsource allows this by being able to switch between auto routing & direct routing, and combining them seamlessly into one route. I always recalculate my routes when I'm done to insure the route follows the roads perfectly and that I've done a proper job with my waypoints so the route is full proof. Doing this on a route that has direct routing elements in it will change the direct route portions back to established roads. The trick is to mark where your direct routes are and go back and repair them after a recalc.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,802
I routinely create mixed-mode maps in Mapsource and sometimes in Basecamp.

I do it simply be switching back and forth between City Navigator which autoroutes and Topo 100 which does not.

I then convert the route to a track and load the track for navigation. I don't have to worry about recalculating then.

Basecamp has a problem where if you go in and change a point in a route, it will recalculate the entire route based on what mapset is active. Mapsource will only recalculate the portion of the route on either side of the point you modified.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,674
I look at a map,I get on my bike and I go. Sometimes I carry a map.

Its about the ride.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

Its about the ride.
I hear you BUT.... I'm as interested as recording where I end up, maybe even more than planning where I go ahead of time.

There is all kinds of stuff around here not on a map & sometimes you wonder if you could find it again.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

Its about the ride.
I understand what you are saying.

Here's what I like about the GPS. If I want to get to a specific destination, but also want to take some way out 2 laners, and mix it in with some gravel/dirt I can do it with the GPS and still get to my specific destination without constantly stopping to check the map. I'll know my distance to destination so I can better plan my day.

I've tried 350-400 mile days using only maps. When needing to get to a specific destination while also trying to ride as much gravel and far out 2 lane roads that I can, it sucks IMHO. Either had to make a roll chart, or stop at every other intersection to figure out where I am and where I'm going. Since most of the way out 2 laners and dirt roads don't show up on those fold up gas station maps, I was constantly pulling the Gazeteer out of the top box and figuring out where I was.

That said I still carry maps, and still wander off my pre planned routes.

Plus, there are plenty of times I just GO and simply leave the GPS running without any route planned. It's nice to be able to see where I've been if I ever want to re-run those roads that I stumbled upon.

YMMV...
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
The short answer is you can build it in MS and it'll be fine.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote