User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
MGN54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
CBDR1000RR to 2nd Gen FZ1

Currently have a 2007 1000RR that is a wonderful machine. But my 58 year old bod is starting to think otherwise. Have an opportunity to move/trade to a 2008 FZ1 with the retro body kit on it. Just wondering if anyone had made this same move and if so, could you give me a little compare and contrast? If nothing else, can anyone give me an idea in the power delivery on the FZ1? Wonder how it is in the lower/midrange compared to what I'm used to.

This FZ1 is cherry with the body kit, corbin seats front and rear, GYTR carbon exhaust, CRG levers, and a few more things I'm forgetting. And all the stock parts come with it. Around 12k miles. Owned by an older gentlemen.

Still scratching it trying to decide what I might want to do.
MGN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 3,987
If you don't do it, please pm me the FZ1 owner's contact info...

The FZ1 is a reasonable moto for guys our age...

Thanks,

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
MGN54...I'm skirting the actual question(s) you've asked, but, is the reason you're considering the move to a different bike the sportbike riding position of the RR? If that's it, have you considered Helibars or some other bars/clip-ons that would relax the riding position a bit?

I bought, a new, leftover '09 GSX-R600 a couple years ago and sold it again rather quickly, partially because of the riding position, mostly out of stupidity. Hindsight being in better focus than foresight (for me at least) I wish I would have kept the GSX-R. It was only the 2nd bike I had ever bought brand new and now it's gone. I wanted to do some solo touring on it and wanted to be able to sit (reasonably comfortably) through a tank of gas. I'm 60 now and if I ever find a decent deal on another orange/black GSX-R600, I'll be all over it and Helibars will be on order.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
MGN54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

NFE, will do. Hope to get a close look and maybe a test ride later this week.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
BatteryMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGN54 View Post
Currently have a 2007 1000RR that is a wonderful machine. But my 58 year old bod is starting to think otherwise. Have an opportunity to move/trade to a 2008 FZ1 with the retro body kit on it. Just wondering if anyone had made this same move and if so, could you give me a little compare and contrast? If nothing else, can anyone give me an idea in the power delivery on the FZ1? Wonder how it is in the lower/midrange compared to what I'm used to.

This FZ1 is cherry with the body kit, corbin seats front and rear, GYTR carbon exhaust, CRG levers, and a few more things I'm forgetting. And all the stock parts come with it. Around 12k miles. Owned by an older gentlemen.

Still scratching it trying to decide what I might want to do.

I had a 2008 CBR1000RR and for the same reason sold it and got a 2010 Tiger1050.
Tiger was a nice bike. More comfortable but it just didn't do it for me.
So, I went to plan B. Got the old bod in better shape and bought a 2012 YZFR1. Lovin the the R1 and feeling better too.
You gotta grow old but you don't gotta grow up.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,081
The FZ1 with retro kit is way cool! I'd buy it just because! I rarely hear any negativity about the FZ1
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Capt-Kevlar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I went from an R1 to the FZ. It was a great move. The FZ is fantastic street bike. I have much more fun on it than the R. It responds well to some simple and fairly cheap mods that will net you near R1 power that is even more useable on the street. Decisions decisions....aint life grand.
Capt-Kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
SxyRdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
If that's it, have you considered Helibars or some other bars/clip-ons that would relax the riding position a bit?
I've been toying with replacing my 07 CBR1kRR with something else but then keep going back to ^. It'd be a lot cheaper. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt-Kevlar View Post
I went from an R1 to the FZ. It was a great move. The FZ is fantastic street bike. I have much more fun on it than the R. It responds well to some simple and fairly cheap mods that will net you near R1 power that is even more useable on the street. Decisions decisions....aint life grand.
I haven't ridden an FZ1 because I don't fit on one. But the couple of people I know who have had one had good things to say about it. The only "negative" I heard was that it felt extremely top heavy at low speeds.
2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
Age is a bitch... 3 months ago I went from a Aprilia to a Super Tenere. No regrets as my body loves it.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Corvette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
preyj
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Been there, done that. You will not regret going to an FZ1. I have done 300+ mile days on the FZ1, but never on the CBR. The first mod is to put a bigger windscreen on....

Jeff
preyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 761
I had a gen II FZ1, I wish I still had it. To me it is the best bike for street riding, all I did to mine was change the seat, windscreen, and grips and I was able to ride a 1000 mile day on it. I want to get another one after having a Multistrada 1000, it just did everything better for me. I had an R1 before the FZ1 and the biggest adjustment for me was that the FZ1 has a little longer wheelbase and won't transition side to side nearly as quick as the R1 would. So that is just a minor trade off but the riding position much better for everyday riding and the FZ1 will not be as noticeable to police as a fully faired sportbike.

Personally I think it is really one of the best values available, and there are some great aftermarket products and support for the bike.
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 355
What about the power delivery? I have an interest in an FZ1 as my first experience with a 4 cylinder bike (having owned only twins and triples to this point), but I keep reading that the power down low is disappointing. My SV1000 pulls hard low and has a decent top end, but no rush high in the power band. I'm curious what that feels like...

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
I'm a few months shy of 49 and ride a stock 06 FZ1. I love this bike! It has a split personality and can lug around town in low rpms, very smooth, very linear electric-like power delivery. Wind it up to ~8K RPM and get ready! I have never experienced acceleration like this. It left my friends DL1000 for dead once she wound up.

Initially I was concerned about the FZ1's low RPM "lack of torque" after 4 years on a 1200 HD Sportster. No worries the FZ1 does just fine, well at least for me! The bike runs on 87 octane gas and will return ~ low to mid 40s mpg commuting. If you get into the throttle you can ignore that last statement.

Ergonomically it has a fairly upright riding position compared to clipons of sport bikes. My bike has 1" lowering foot pegs from Knight Designs out of Oregon. That works well for my 32" inseam. The seat is no better or worse than most stock seats on other bikes. I use a chunk of memory foam encased in a fine Corinthian pleather cover stuffed under a sheepskin pad for 100+ mile rides. Anything over about 75 miles on the stock seat and my backside hurts!

I feel it is one of the best used bike values out there. I purchased my bike this spring and put 8,000 miles on it so far. I like this bike and I've owned a few of them over the years (dirt & street).

Oh and if you are a "seasoned" rider insurance is very reasonable. Not so much for younger riders.

Did I mention that I really like the Gen II FZ1?!

bearcat1 screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 07:52 PM Reason: typo
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
MGN54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies, guys! Good info and overall good endorsement of the FZ1. I was able to spend about 40 miles on the bike yesterday. Have to say I was pretty smitten with it. Couple of updates on it.....has a Graves exhaust with a power commander. Has been dyno tuned and runs sweet. I like the exhaust sound a lot. Bike has 8k miles on it instead of the 12k I thought it had. The body kit looks really good and I couldn't find a scratch on it. So, if we can make the numbers work, I may just have to pick it up! Will let you know.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGN54 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, guys! Good info and overall good endorsement of the FZ1. I was able to spend about 40 miles on the bike yesterday. Have to say I was pretty smitten with it. Couple of updates on it.....has a Graves exhaust with a power commander. Has been dyno tuned and runs sweet. I like the exhaust sound a lot. Bike has 8k miles on it instead of the 12k I thought it had. The body kit looks really good and I couldn't find a scratch on it. So, if we can make the numbers work, I may just have to pick it up! Will let you know.
Well?