Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Dunewar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
help me convince the wifey...for a sportsbike!

I know I know...lame title. I'm sure all the studs here in ADVrider have no concerned wife and if they did they would kick her to the curb in no time, red flags etc...

For those that are still reading : I'm selling my R1100GS and I want to go to a more sportier bike. My dream ride is a 929 fireblade (for no rational reasons) actually.

But my wife has put a firm rule : no sportsbikes. And she is strict on that. Since I started riding motorbikes after I met her, I kinda agreed to that rule. In fact, she bought me an introduction session to motorcycling as a birthday present with the words "but should you want to continue this, NO SPORTSBIKES".... So basically I got into motorcycling with this condition.

I know, half of the replies will be : "you are a doormat", and I don't care. Because I love my wife and I want to consider her opinion. She does a marvelous job caring for our daughter and me, and I don't want her mad/concerned every time I go out riding.

That in mind, I am a firm believer you can get into trouble with any motorcycle, not just sportsbikes. And the forward riding position somehow agrees with my back and makes me feel very comfortable. And I'm also convinced that the limit of motorcycling outside a racetrack is not decided by the bike, but by the biker and even more so by the circumstances. Forget apexes, racing lines, etc... but think clear lines of sight, road surface, traffic.

So I would not ride any differently on a fireblade than on my GS (or the kawa I had before). Last organised roadtrip I joined a pack consisting of a BMW S1000rr, a F800s, a kawa Z1000, and I decided to abandon them halfway because they were too slow for me. I ride my own tempo no matter what, no matter the bike or the pack.

But how do I make this clear to my wife? She is convinced that a sportsbike makes you go 10 times as fast as you should, and that buying one is planning for suicide. Any arguments I can use? Any experiences? Something? Her comeback is : "but you have a young child, you shouldn't put yourself in danger like that!". Hard to argue with an emotional statement like that, but any input?

Oh and no, I'm not quitting bikes because of my children. They need a sane dad, and motorcycles help keep me sane.
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunewar View Post
I know I know...lame title. I'm sure all the studs here in ADVrider have no concerned wife and if they did they would kick her to the curb in no time, red flags etc...

For those that are still reading : I'm selling my R1100GS and I want to go to a more sportier bike. My dream ride is a 929 fireblade (for no rational reasons) actually.

But my wife has put a firm rule : no sportsbikes. And she is strict on that. Since I started riding motorbikes after I met her, I kinda agreed to that rule. In fact, she bought me an introduction session to motorcycling as a birthday present with the words "but should you want to continue this, NO SPORTSBIKES".... So basically I got into motorcycling with this condition.

I know, half of the replies will be : "you are a doormat", and I don't care. Because I love my wife and I want to consider her opinion. She does a marvelous job caring for our daughter and me, and I don't want her mad/concerned every time I go out riding.

That in mind, I am a firm believer you can get into trouble with any motorcycle, not just sportsbikes. And the forward riding position somehow agrees with my back and makes me feel very comfortable. And I'm also convinced that the limit of motorcycling outside a racetrack is not decided by the bike, but by the biker and even more so by the circumstances. Forget apexes, racing lines, etc... but think clear lines of sight, road surface, traffic.

So I would not ride any differently on a fireblade than on my GS (or the kawa I had before). Last organised roadtrip I joined a pack consisting of a BMW S1000rr, a F800s, a kawa Z1000, and I decided to abandon them halfway because they were too slow for me. I ride my own tempo no matter what, no matter the bike or the pack.

But how do I make this clear to my wife? She is convinced that a sportsbike makes you go 10 times as fast as you should, and that buying one is planning for suicide. Any arguments I can use? Any experiences? Something? Her comeback is : "but you have a young child, you shouldn't put yourself in danger like that!". Hard to argue with an emotional statement like that, but any input?

Oh and no, I'm not quitting bikes because of my children. They need a sane dad, and motorcycles help keep me sane.
Get a KTM 950 SM, a 990 Superduke or a Triumph Speed Triple. They don't exactly look like a sport bike, but they go like one. Maybe she won't notice?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Get a KTM 950 SM, a 990 Superduke or a Triumph Speed Triple. They don't exactly look like a sport bike, but they go like one. Maybe she won't notice?

Speedy 3 isnt a sportbike...

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
I have found that if I ask nicely and then do whatever I want anyway, my wife is usually only really pissed at me for a day or so, therefore it is definitely worth it!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,293
Bribery?

It sure helps if you are rich. Then she forgets the rules. Jewelery?
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
I know exactly where you are coming from. I owned a Ninja 636 for a year, and my wife stood in the driveway and cried EVERY time I left on it. I'm not talking about complaining, I'm talking tears running down her face. She vowed she would go with me every ride to keep me sane, but her 5'11" height made the passenger seat so uncomfortable she gave that up quickly. I sold it a year later, and bought a dual sport. Now I have the 750 Aprilia, which doesn't have the top speed that my wife feared so much.

I think the Fireblade is going to be a hard sell, because it "looks like" a sport bike. I know, that's like banning a rifle because it "looks like" an assault weapon, but a wife's worry is fueled by emotion.

Can you live with a naked bike? The Honda 919 is very similar to the 929, I think, but doesn't have side fairings. That may be your best compromise. Other bikes to consider would be the Triumph Speed Triple, Triumph Street Triple, or Ducati Streetfighter. If those don't fly, I would urge you to ride a big supermoto from Aprilia, KTM, or Ducati. They are an absolute blast, without any trace of the sportbike stigma. Unfortunately, Honda has not yet entered that segmant.

Honda 919:

High Country Herb screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 01:02 PM
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:

I'm going with the wife here just because you believe this. You WILL ride faster on a sport bike! In my 10 years of ownership I went over 100 nearly every time I rode my zx9r! Seldom go that fast on on my other bikes. Sportbikes are made to go fast and they do it so well ya want to ride them fast, I don't care who ya are. Since ya started riding AFTER ya got married the wife does have a say in your riding life and decisions.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
I dont go any faster on my 1200 Sport/touring bike then I do on any other bike. Its really up to the rider as to the need for speed.

Guys fly off the road on 650 singles if they havent a clue as to what they're doing. Get the Sportbike,and make nice later,they get over it.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,620
You're a doormat...

But, you made a deal. You should stick to it...

She paid for your introductory class with the condition of no sportsbikes.

Why go back on your word?
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
You're a doormat...

But, you made a deal. You should stick to it...
Indeed. And at this point in time, there are so many sporty bikes that are disguised as sport tourers, nakeds, etc that you should be able to get your fix without her feeling you don't respect her.

Sprint ST / Ducati ST3 / 5th gen VFR / Aprilia Futura or Falco.

Hell, the new Ninja 1000R is a fantastic bike. Just peel the 'Ninja' stickers off and have the Givi cases mounted before you get home. Instant 'touring bike'.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 689
Look. Saying you're not going to ride faster on a sport bike is a crock of nonsense. And if this is what you're telling her, then you're lying to her. It will happen. (I'm not talking about carrying crazy top speeds. I'm talking about overall faster riding.)

Why do you want a sport bike? I can hardly believe you want one for added comfort?

You should stick to your word. If you want a new bike, find something that she can live with as well. Don't convince her you should get something that she's told you from the beginning she's dead set against.
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
IF you do get one I'd bet money against this:
Quote:
So I would not ride any differently on a fireblade than on my GS (or the kawa I had before).
And being a multi bike owner for many years I'm in agreement with these guys:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
I'm going with the wife here just because you believe this. You WILL ride faster on a sport bike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraberg View Post
Look. Saying you're not going to ride faster on a sport bike is a crock of nonsense. And if this is what you're telling her, then you're lying to her. It will happen. (I'm not talking about carrying crazy top speeds. I'm talking about overall faster riding.)
Wishing you the best. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
Edmundo Amado
Andale, andale!!

Oddometer: 32
You have a deal, honor it, make her happy. You don't know how misserable life could be with an unhappy angry wife.
Edmundo Amado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,520
Start racing MX and she'll be so sick of regular ER visits, casts, crutches and rehab therapy she'll buy you the damn sportbike herself.

And if not at least you might grow a pair and do what you want.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Start racing MX and she'll be so sick of regular ER visits, casts, crutches and rehab therapy she'll buy you the damn sportbike herself.

And if not at least you might grow a pair and do what you want.
Hell,buy a nice flattrack bike if it comes to that,have her come out and watch the heats and mains at 1 race.

She will trot down and get you a GSXR 1000 so quick your head will spin!

(+1 on the "grow a pair" theory. I would hate to go through life not doing something I REALLY wanted to do because someone else is scared of it. But then that's just me. My mom and dad both did kinda risky sports while I was growing up,Im glad they did,it opened me up to trying more things)

Foot dragger screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 05:56 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote