User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Stegerman OP
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 584
Winter is a-coming

First fall commute today when I needed the winter gear. It was 39*. Time to buy those heated glove liners.

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
A good cheap solution for toasty fingers are Oxford hot hands grip wraps. Minimal current draw but, also no thermostat control. (if you don't wear gloves with them, you'll scorch your fingers)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Stegerman OP
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
A good cheap solution for toasty fingers are Oxford hot hands grip wraps. Minimal current draw but, also no thermostat control. (if you don't wear gloves with them, you'll scorch your fingers)
I have heated grips.. when it gets in the 20's and teens grips aren't enough.

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
Depends on your gear.
I'm also an all-year/weather rider and it gets into the negatives here in Pa. when wind chill is factored in.
I use a set of Olympia Gloves that have a thin option at the palm where your hands contact the heated grips (transfers plenty of heat that way) and a 1 piece snowmobile suit (gives up road rash protection for warmth) that I layer up with polar fleece underneath.
Between the above, a small shield to keep wind-blast off my chest and handgaurds for protecting my digits from the same...I'm good for about an hour @70mph in the teens.(and my heated grips are the extent of my electrical supplementation)

http://shop.olympiagloves.com/4298-G...ander-4298.htm (best gloves I've ever owned but, I long for a joined 2 finger/thumb version)

I might not look as stylish as the Aerostitch crowd (or be as protected) but, I'll gladly look like the stay-puft marshmellow man and trade style/protection for warmth any day. (I.M.H.O. nothing is as dangerous as losing feeling in your extremities anyway)

Biggest secret to keeping your tootsies and fingers warm, is keeping your core temp up and limiting the cold surfaces that they are exposed to.
I also wrap my grip levers in silicone stretchNseal tape to insulate my fingers from the cold alloy levers when I have to cover the brakes/clutch. (which I do sparingly when it's freezing outside)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Hmmmm... something wrong there... I've ridden my snowmobiles in -15 F (yes, minus 15) for hours at a time and never had a problem with the heated grips not being enough.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,504
Tomorrow morning will be my last rain-free commute in the forseeable future for the wet-side of Oregon. I am ready with a good selection of gear to keep me warm, dry and comfortable.

I am starting a new group called PA (Poseurs Anonymous)

Bill: "Hi, I'm Bill and I didn't ride today because it was too cold"

Corus: "HI BILL"

Spokesperson: "Bill, have you seen these new ALL-season Jackets with matching pants?"

Bill: "Do you mean I can ride all year?... What's the first step?"

Old 10-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Tomorrow morning will be my last rain-free commute in the forseeable future for the wet-side of Oregon. I am ready with a good selection of gear to keep me warm, dry and comfortable.

I am starting a new group called PA (Poseurs Anonymous)

Bill: "Hi, I'm Bill and I didn't ride today because it was too cold"

Corus: "HI BILL"

Spokesperson: "Bill, have you seen these new ALL-season Jackets with matching pants?"

Bill: "Do you mean I can ride all year?... What's the first step?"

I hope I find myself in your part of the States one day so I can buy you a Beer. It'd be a THANK YOU! for all the times you've made me laugh my ass off!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
Hmmmm... something wrong there... I've ridden my snowmobiles in -15 F (yes, minus 15) for hours at a time and never had a problem with the heated grips not being enough.
Some of us wussies get cold hands no matter how well the heated grips work. I have riding buddies who ride in the 40s and don't even need heated grips--just heavy gloves. I'm not so fortunate.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
Yeah, butt it's a dry cold!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,828
Quote:
First fall commute today when I needed the winter gear. It was 39*. Time to buy those heated glove liners.

Ouch, that is cold!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Yeah, it's been in the low to mid 40s the last couple of weeks the mornings, but mid 60s and 70s during the day. The last few days it's been in the mid 40s in the mornings and 50s during the day. Winter is coming! Last week it did drop to 32 degrees. My commute to work is 80% highway at 70mph. Needless to say it was cold! The wind just sucks all the heat away, it's insane. I personally think cold hands are the worst. My core is warm, but my hands and knees are freezing! My plan was to ride into the cold as long as no snow is on the ground, but I don't have the money to invest in proper gear right now...
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Heated gloves are the way to go. I finally bought a pair of Gerbings heated gloves last year after wanting a pair for quite a while. Yes, they're a little pricey, but after using them a few times, I knew it was money well spent.
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #13
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRKC View Post
Heated gloves are the way to go. I finally bought a pair of Gerbings heated gloves last year after wanting a pair for quite a while. Yes, they're a little pricey, but after using them a few times, I knew it was money well spent.
Heated gloves and heated jacket liner are the way to go for riding in cold temps. Especially if your windshield is not the size of a compact car ala a Goldwing.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
rivercreep
Banned

Take some advice from a rider who suffered from his electrical riding gear failing many years ago; carry some real gloves and layers (just in case) if you travel far from home.
I'll never go back to relying on heated gear again. Great when it works = SUCKS when it fails.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #15
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,419
Yep, 38F this morning on my commute. I figured I'd just turn on the heated grips as I only have ten miles to go.

Some days I just need a friendly reminder that taking the extra five minutes to put on heated gear is WORTH IT.