Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Johnny Tarr OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Trying to pick out my first dual purpose bike. This is hard.

Hey guys. This is my first post here after lurker for most of the year. Yaay. Ok, anyway. I've been thinking about getting a dual sport for awhile now, and over the past few days have been doing some heavy research into what I want. After a lot of debate, and a lot of reading the back and fourth here, I decided I wanted a KLR.

Yes, I know it has downsides. But It fit everything I wanted it to do.

Easy maintenance.
Very comfy on the road.
Can take it on trails (even if its more hassle than a dirtier bike)

Well, I went on down to my local Honda/Kawasaki dealership and found their KLR650 display. Wow. First impression, this thing is HUGE. I ride a ninja 650r, and I was expecting something like that but a bit taller. Not by a long shot. This bike is massive, and tall. I threw my leg over and was quite shocked when I realized that my toes were barely on the ground. I'm 6'2, and had to stretch to hold myself and the bike up comfortably. I have no idea how anyone shorter than me could hope to ride it.

Second impression: This thing is heavy. It didnt really feel top heavy like many here describe it, just tall + heavy. So heavy that combined with the height, I wasnt sure if I'd be able to pick it up if I dropped it.

So after deciding the bike was plain out too large for what I wanted, I asked the rep to show me the next bike down that they had, and he showed me the KLX250 (Though he claimed it was 230.) This bike LOOKED closer to what I was looking for. But I'm a big guy. 6'2, 240lbs. When I sat on it, it was small. And light. I loved the weight, but im not sure if I like the size. If I was -2 inches and -50 pounds, I'd probably be looking for one online right now.

So, I just don't know what to do. The KLR650 is too big, the KLX250 is to small. The BMW DAKAR and anything by KTM are out of my pricerange, so please dont suggest them. The Honda crf230 was also too small, and the honda 650 was too ugly for me to consider.

The Tiger and Vstrom are as large and heavy as the KLR, right? I'm going to try to find a suzuki dealer so I can scope out the DRZ400. If that doesnt pan out, ill just have to choose between too heavy but comfy, or light, but not comfy.
Johnny Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,171
WR250r is a faster KLX250, DRZ400 or DR650 are solid and you might get lucky and find a deal on a leftover Husky 630. That 630 is what I think you'd really like, real power, 6 speed wide ratio trans, good suspension, large frame but only around 330 lbs.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,628
There are way more choices besides a klx and klr ya know.

Wr250r, older dr350, dr650 have 6 speeds, drz only 5, just an FYI. The price range you are shopping in leaves you at least 10 years of used dirt bikes in great condition. Depends on what you want to do, if racking miles is your goal then not much in comfort besides the klr. All can handle highway speeds though, depends on your tolerance.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
dr650 have 6 speeds, drz only 5, just an FYI.
DR650 is 5 speed.

I'll chime in another +1 for the DR. I have one. I know there are a lot of KLR Vs DR debates. I have owned 3 Kawasaki road bikes and was given a KLR as a courtesy bike each time they went in for any work. They are big and seem to have a lot of breakable plastic bits but I have no evidence they they would break off. All I know is that after being a kwakka boy for years (ZX6, Z1000, ZX10) I bought a DR and am very happy with it.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
DR650 is 5 speed.

I'll chime in another +1 for the DR. I have one. I know there are a lot of KLR Vs DR debates. I have owned 3 Kawasaki road bikes and was given a KLR as a courtesy bike each time they went in for any work. They are big and seem to have a lot of breakable plastic bits but I have no evidence they they would break off. All I know is that after being a kwakka boy for years (ZX6, Z1000, ZX10) I bought a DR and am very happy with it.
DR650 has a wider ratio 5 spd
DRZ400 has a narrow ratio 5 spd.
if you spend time on the hwy above 60 you'll not like the DRZ
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
I think the KLX is a good compliment to a bike like a 650r. I have the KLX250s and an FZ6. I like the idea of a KLR, but it wouldn't really make sense since I have the FZ6. The KLX is nice on the single track ,too.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Dirtchuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Did you look at the crf250l?
Dirtchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
my neighbor is about your size, 6'1 and a fat ass at 260 pounds, he rides a DRZ400S, fits him perfectly, great bike imo, at your size, i would not get any 250, including the wr250r imo.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
I wouldnt look at a 250 either. I know you said no KTM but how about a used KTM 640 LC4. A sweet looking one in the Flea Market with just 501 miles.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,584
TOO UGLY! Comon Man!!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
TOO UGLY! Comon Man!!
Very Nice XRL I will add a well prepped DRZ for those that wanna see what a few bucks and work will do for the DRZ 400S.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,836
Lots of opinions, all valid. Here is mine:

Based on what you wrote, you want a DR650.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post

x2

Add a a big tank, a lil windscreen & a comfy seat & you'll have something functionally pretty similar to the KLR but smaller & lighter. Once you start to pick up some pace offroad get the suspension reworked for your weight.

I like my 640E & it is a good bit lighter than a KLR, but if you found the height of the KLR intimidating the 640 might not be the best choice. At 6'2 you will probably find you'll be able to handle a taller bike once you get used to the dirtbike ergos & get some dirt skillz but it's nice to learn the basics on something shortish.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
hiADV
Island Explorer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post

This. I have the KLR, DR and KLX, all good for different things but from what you describe, the DR would be the way to go on the cheap. That said, you should try to actually ride a KLR if you can. When I first got mine I has the same impressions but once I rode it around a bit it seemed to "shrink" and really is a fun, easy to ride bike. Any ride more than a 50/50, I'm taking the KLR.
hiADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
phoneman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
A friend of mine just bought a new crf250l--nice bike. Weighs around 320 lbs. Handles 70 mph easily on the highway and can get down the trails if need be. Sits pretty tall so he lowered the front and rear to fit him---he's pretty short.
I just bought a new drz400s. Weighs about the same but has more oopmh--250 versus 400. I'm a lot heavier and taller than him so I wanted a little more go power. Would probably run 90 mph before I changed the sprocket combo to 14/47--better for trails--and wheelies .
It really depends on what you want/need. Just don't get caught up and buy something that's too heavy for fun offroad---as in a Weestrom. Great bike on pavement--decent on good dirt roads--not worth dog-pooh in sand. I have a 2012 Wee and love it--in its place.
phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote