User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
villageidiot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
bmw r80 mono replacement caliper

ive searched and searched....... i know there is a place that sells the oem brembo calipers much much cheaper than bmw,

i can not find it.

what i am experiencing......

i just changed the front brake like to a braided stainless one i had made. when bleeding the brakes, i noticed a small bit of fluid on the line where the caliper halves are bolted together. when i hold pressure on the brake, the little bit of fluid grows, then when i let off it contracts.

i am not sure if its dribbled on top and what i am seeing is it go into and out of the caliper halves when the pressure flexes them, or if its seeping out and sucking back in. i did not experience any fluid loss, and the lever holds firm if i hold it for a minute or so, i am just thinking at almost 30yrs, it could be time for new calipers

thanks for the help
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Motobins in the UK www.motobins.co.uk sells a replacement for the Brembo calipers that is manufactured under the GRIMECA brand at 85 each, approx. $140 (Capital Cycle also offer the part at $220 each). Rebuilding yours with an overhaul kit, $20 from various sources, including Capital Cycle www.capitalcycle.com, is something to consider if the caliper is basically sound.

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s
Past - Variety of British, French, Italian, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,191
Maybe it's just the small o-ring that's no good...seen on the caliper face in the first picture..

http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/view...p?f=70&t=16046
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,976
Brake fluid almost always gets spilled on the caliper when installing a new hose, and makes the caliper appear to leak. Give the caliper a good cleaning with soap and water and see if your leak goes away.

With a braided hose and a solid master cylinder, you can apply far more pressure than with a rubber one. You can see the caliper and fork slider twisting if you pull hard on the lever, and this prssure can also make the caliper flex, making spilled fluid appear from the caliper joint.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
villageidiot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
Brake fluid almost always gets spilled on the caliper when installing a new hose, and makes the caliper appear to leak. Give the caliper a good cleaning with soap and water and see if your leak goes away.

With a braided hose and a solid master cylinder, you can apply far more pressure than with a rubber one. You can see the caliper and fork slider twisting if you pull hard on the lever, and this prssure can also make the caliper flex, making spilled fluid appear from the caliper joint.
this is what happened. its all good now, just kinda headtricked me.

i especially don't like neglecting brakes of all things. but its A okay!
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,342
Rebuild it. It's easier than an oil change.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote