User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative

Hello. We're trying something new here in the State of Tennessee. A collaborative effort among Adventure Riders to visit and document one or more rides to every Tennessee State Park. There are 54 State parks and we think it will be fun to visit them all. Each person will document their ride under their own account but we'll link them here to make them easier to find.

We're also encouraging you to invite others to join you as a way to meet and enjoy other Inmates. So if you want to take a specific park then simply add a post to this thread saying when you will be visiting the park and inviting others to join you. I'll put your name and the date below the park's name and location so that people can contact you.

You don't have to be from Tennessee to do this and you don't have to invite others (although that's part of the fun). But we would like to have a ride report from you and, hopefully, a lot of pictures.

Below is a list of all Tennessee State Parks grouped within the three Grand Divisions (West, Middle and East). Clicking on the name will take you to the State's website for that particular park. Below is the name of the town nearest the park. Using Rock Island State Park as an example, I've put my name (Liberia) and the date (9/24/12). My name links to my Advrider profile and the date links to the actual ride report that I did (I'll do a better one but this one will serve as an example until then).

Green AdvRider name links to their profile - Orange RR next to a name indicates the ride is complete and linked -- Orange date means ride is planned.
Cummins Falls State ParkBicentennial Mall State ParkBig Cypress Tree State ParkBig Hill Pond State ParkBig Ridge State ParkBledsoe Creek State ParkBooker T. Washington State ParkBurgess Falls State ParkCedars of Lebanon State ParkChickasaw State ParkCordell Hull State ParkCove Lake State ParkCumberland Mountain State ParkCumberland Trail State ParkDavid Crockett State ParkDavy Crockett Birthplace State ParkDunbar Cave State ParkEdgar Evins State ParkFall Creek Falls State ParkFort Loudoun State ParkFort Pillow State Historic ParkFrozen Head State ParkHarpeth River State ParkHarrison Bay State ParkHenry Horton State ParkHiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State ParkIndian Mountain State ParkJohnsonville State Historic ParkLong Hunter State ParkMeeman-Shelby Forest State ParkMontgomery Bell State ParkMousetail Landing State ParkNathan Bedford Forrest State ParkNatchez Trace State ParkNorris Dam State ParkOld Stone Fort State Historic ParkPanther Creek State ParkParis Landing State ParkPickett State ParkPickwick Landing State ParkPinson Mounds State ParkPort Royal State ParkRadnor Lake State ParkRed Clay State ParkReelfoot Lake State ParkRoan Mountain State ParkRock Island State ParkSgt. Alvin C. York Historic ParkSouth Cumberland State ParkStanding Stone State ParkSycamore Shoals State ParkT.O. Fuller State ParkTims Ford State ParkWarriors' Path State Park

WEST TENNESSEE:
Park NameLocationInmateRide Report
Big Cypress TreeGreenfieldOpenOpen
Big Hill PondPocahontas8TrackMindRR
ChickasawHenderson8TrackMindRR
Fort PillowHenning8TrackMindRR1 RR2
Meeman-ShelbyMillington8TrackMindRR
N. B. ForrestEva8TrackMindRR
Natchez TraceWildersvilleZFenderGuy ZZ
Paris LandingBuchananDickCRR
Pickwick Landing Pickwick Dam 8TrackMindRR
Pinson MoundsPinson8TrackMindRR
Reelfoot LakeTiptonvilleOpenOpen
T.O. FullerMemphis8TrackMindRR

MIDDLE TENNESSEE #1:
Bicentennial MallNashvilleAldntnRR
Bicentennial MallNashvilleLiberiaRR
Bledsoe CreekGallatinAldntnRR
Burgess FallsSparta LiberiaRR
Burgess FallsSparta AldntnRR
Cedars of Lebanon LebanonAldntnRR
Cordell HullByrdstownAldntn RR
Cumberland Mtn.CrossvilleOpenOpen
Cummins FallsCookevilleAldntnRR
David CrockettLawrenceburg8TrackMind RR
David CrockettLawrenceburgLiberiaRR
DunbarCaveClarksvilleOpenOpen
Edgar EvinsSilver PointLiberiaRR
Fall Creek FallsPikevilleLiberiaRR
Harpeth RiverKingston Springs AldntnRR

MIDDLE TENNESSEE #2:
Henry HortonChapel Hill WipfelRR
JohnsonvilleNew Johnsonville Open Open
Long HunterHermitageAldntnRR
Montgomery BellBurnsOpen Open
Mousetail LandingLinden8TrackMind RR
Old Stone FortManchesterLiberiaRR
PickettJamestownOpen Open
Port RoyalAdamsOpen Open
Radnor LakeNashville Liberia RR
Rock IslandRock IslandLiberia RR
Sgt. Alvin C. YorkPall Mall Open Open
South Cumberland MonteagleOpen Open
Standing StoneHilham AldntnRR
Tims FordWinchester LiberiaRR

EAST TENNESSEE:
Big RidgeMaynardvilleAldntn RR
B.T. WashingtonChattanoogaN-MRR
Cove LakeCaryvilleAldntnRR
Cumberland Trail CaryvilleAldntnRR
Davy CrockettLimestoneOpenOpen
Fort LoudounVonoreOpen Open
Frozen HeadWartburgAldntnRR
Harrison BayHarrisonOpenOpen
Hiwassee/OcoeeDelanoOpenOpen
Indian MountainJellicoAldntnRR
Norris DamLake CityAldntnRR
Panther CreekMorristownAldntnRR
Red ClayClevelandOpenOpen
Roan MountainRoan Mountain OpenOpen
Sycamore ShoalsElizabethtonOpenOpen
Warriors' PathKingsportOpenOpen

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]

Liberia screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 01:49 PM
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
8trackmind
Housebroken Jackalope

Oddometer: 309
I love it when a plan comes together!

8trackmind screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 06:47 PM
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Select your park even if you don't know the date

If you'd like to select a park to visit but you don't know the date yet, that's fine. It might let others discuss dates, etc. with you as you're making your decision.

Tennessee is bordered by more states than any other in America. We're encouraging riders from other states to invade us for this project. Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina and Virginia all touch Tennessee with 2 or 3 others close enough for an easy weekend trip.

Liberia screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 12:34 PM
Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Trip to Tim's Ford State Park - 10/13/12

Tim's Ford ride report is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833139

It's supposed to be 77 degrees (low of 54 w/10% chance of rain) this Saturday. So it should be a great day for a ride.

I plan to leave from Murfreesboro this Saturday and take the back highways to Winchester, TN for a visit to Tim's Ford State Park. It's a 55 mile/1hr 45min ride each way. We'll go through Bell Buckle and Wartrace so you could join there as well. The basic route would be Hwy 269 to Tullahoma and Hwy 130 to Tim's Ford. I picked Tim's Ford because they are having Heritage Day this Saturday.

Heritage Day - October 13
Join us as we celebrate Tennessee State Park’s 75th anniversary with interpretive programs and activities relating to the history of the park and the people who lived here prior to the establishment of Tims Ford Reservoir. Bluegrass, country and gospel music will fill the air – bring your instrument and join in or just bring a lawn chair and sit a spell.

If you'd like to join me please post here or send me a message. I'm guessing a 5+ hour ride but you are welcome to camp, go off on your own, etc. Both the Jack Daniels and George Dickel Distillaries are nearby.

Liberia screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 08:52 AM
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,643
I am hoping to visit Fall Creek Falls on Oct 27. There is a Vulcan Owners Group crowd that is planning to meet there for lunch. I ride a Nomad. I live in Columbia, and I am hoping my wife will go along. It's about a 3.5 hour trip, each way. I plan to stay off the interstate if possible. I should pass through Bell Buckle, Woodbury, McMinnville on the way.Hwy 30 is always a nice ride.

Thanks for starting this - great idea!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
wipfel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I'm planning to head down to Henry Horton this Saturday.

2010 Concours 14
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Close to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipfel View Post
I'm planning to head down to Henry Horton this Saturday.

Just a reminder that the Bicentennial Mall is likely close to you (and me too). Of course that means riding into downtown Nashville (not really that much fun).

Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
dickc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I was planning a camping trip to LBL 10/13 so I will make a side trip to Paris Landing.
dickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Liberia OP
Fortunate

4 trips scheduled is a good start

Only a couple of days into this plan and 4 trips are scheduled already. Three for this Saturday and 1 for the 27th. If you'd like to ride along please contact the person making the trip. [I think we're up to 8 or 9 now.]

Liberia screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 11:44 AM Reason: Basic math
Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
Mexico Vic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia View Post
Only a couple of days into this plan and 4 trips are scheduled already. Three for this Saturday and 1 for the 27th. If you'd like to ride along please contact the person making the trip.
Sounds like a great plan...I think i'll start on the 17th and try and hit the southern parks that border Alabama..Pictures to follow.
Mexico Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico Vic View Post
Sounds like a great plan...I think i'll start on the 17th and try and hit the southern parks that border Alabama..Pictures to follow.
That would be great. When you know which parks and which days, post to this thread and I'll add your handle and date to the list above.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
8trackmind
Housebroken Jackalope

Four Park Express Tour

Don't know the date yet, (probably early November) but here is my contributuion for the urban nature lovers with a short attention span.
(Kind of like Clark Griswold at the Grand Canyon...just nod a bit and we'll motor to the next park)

This little 260 mile trip, all paved and as curvy as we have out here hits;
  1. Big Hill Pond
  2. Pickwick Landing
  3. Chickasaw
  4. Meeman Shelby
We pass right by Shiloh park as well. Also, If you're feelin' froggy, we can hit a "bonus park" (Pinson Mounds) and bring it up to to five! After this, you'll only have 49 more to visit!

GPX file for the route.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
8trackmind
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackmind View Post
Don't know the date yet, (probably early November) but here is my contributuion for the urban nature lovers with a short attention span.
(Kind of like Clark Griswold at the Grand Canyon...just nod a bit and we'll motor to the next park)

This little 260 mile trip, all paved and as curvy as we have out here hits;
  1. Big Hill Pond
  2. Pickwick Landing
  3. Chickasaw
  4. Meeman Shelby
We pass right by Shiloh park as well. Also, If you're feelin' froggy, we can hit a "bonus park" (Pinson Mounds) and bring it up to to five! After this, you'll only have 49 more to visit!

GPX file for the route.

The window of opportunity to do this has swung open.Tomorrow morning. (10/21/12)
I don't think we'll have time for Shiloh though.
If anyone wants to tag along, PM me or reply to this thread.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Multiple Ride Reports for same park encouraged

Just a reminder. If someone else signs up for a park that you want to visit and the dates doen't work for you to join them (or you just want to do a ride report of your own) it's great to have more than one report on a park.

Where's the East Tennessee/North Georgia/Western Carolina and Southern Virginia riders?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
8trackmind
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia View Post
Where's the East Tennessee/North Georgia/Western Carolina and Southern Virginia riders?

Our eastern Rocky Top brethren probably want less people to vist their end of our fine state.
Can't blame 'em though, it's a zoo out there.