User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
dadridesagain OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
laws on sleeping outside?

I'm leaving Boston before dawn Monday morning heading ultimately to North Carolina (Dragon / Cherohala run), gonna see how far I can get before dark. Family in Lexington, KY, 15 hours according to google, seems like a stretch in one shot. Safety considerations aside, does anyone know the laws on throwing down a sleeping bag at rest stops? I'm trying to cover about 2300 miles and my wife is only giving me 4 days.
dadridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,539
Cemetaries are your friend. Roll in after dark, leave at dawn, take your trash with you.

fat fingered on a small keyboard.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
tashi71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Cemetaries are your friend. Roll in after dark, leave at dawn, take your trash with you.

fat fingered on a small keyboard.
Battlefields are your friend. (what's the fine I wonder?!)

Manassas National Battlefield Park, Henry House in the background
tashi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashi71 View Post

Nice shot.

I don't know what the fine would be. I do know that illegal camping in Acadia NP will get your bike towed and you paying a hefty fine as well as impound fees. I didn't actually get caught, as I'd managed to grab the last campsite available that night..
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashi71 View Post

Lots of signage around this battlefield saying when you can't be in it.

You wouldn't need to camp here on the battlefield. There are a lot of roads close by that would lend themselves to camping out of the way.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Inoplanetyanin
One day closer!

Oddometer: 96
I prefer to camp in the open field, forests, old fire routs if in the mountains. It all depends on the area. I've camped behind churches, and slept at wal mart lots and all imaginable parks.

The reason I like the open areas is because that is where I enjoy actual camping the most. I chose one that are unlikely to be visited in the morning so I can sleep in.

I've been encountered by police down in TN once for sleeping behind a church. They were nice but told me I couldn't be there. They offered me either to go on to the road (I was on the bicycle and there were lose dogs everywhere on that country road) OR they could take me down to next town and placed in a motel. (I didn't like the idea of being taken somewhere by the police so I just moved on. But it was embarrassing to pack up while they were waiting.

Behind warehouses is fine. I like to camp near the river too. Desert has virtually unlimited camping opportunities here in the South West... many trails and roads, so I just go down one of them and pull off onto the desert floor few feet from the trail and it's a safe and comfortable place to camp. Have to leave early though as sun becomes unbearable by 7-8 am.

As far as sleeping on the ground - not me. I wouldn't want to wake up to a rattle snake cowled up on me, or scorpion sitting on my nose. I only camp in the tent which I make sure is always zipped tight. I've set the tent atop of an ant colonies few times just to find bunch of them angrily crawling on top of the net trying to get in. :)

Have fun camping everyone!
Inoplanetyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,152
It is legal to camp on any public land in Newfoundland, about the only person to bother you will be the one who's inviting you in for a coffee.

I think I'm still the only inmate there on the ADV tent thread, and a few have PM'd me when passing through. It's only my work schedule that makes meeting up tough.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
XtreemLEE
Banned

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
My father did this he was the ultimate pragmatist, rode from Wisconsin to Glacier national park touring on his CL350...
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Hessian42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
i'm in the same boat on a loooong trip and saving my $$ for the road rather than hotels. From my research it's perfectly legal to camp in any federal, state or blm land as long as you're 100 yards from a road. obviously going through closed gates and posted no trespassing signs is a different story. practice "leave no trace" make no fires and leave no beer cans behind and you're ahead of the game and IF you get questioned i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. i usually start looking for a place about an hour before sundown and try and leave the next morning as early as i can.

http://hessianforpatagonia.blogspot.com/

Hessian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,743
Most rest stops that I've seen do have signs which say "No Overnight Camping," which seems to fit what you're asking. That said, if you're not bothering anyone, you'd probably be fine.

But rest stops are probably not a very good place to sleep. They're one of the very few places that tend to attract criminal activities. That's speaking of rest areas located along major routes. I've safely camped at many small country rest areas, as are common in Texas and in a few other states. Many of them are practically abandoned.

The cemetery idea submitted by TE is a good suggestion, as are churches and behind warehouses. The region of the country where you're traveling seems to have an abundance of churches.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Time for a new wife...

Jus' kiddin'
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 757
This isn't a terrible contingency plan.
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
This isn't a terrible contingency plan.
Just wanted to reiterate this one...

What the link points to is a list of ADVRider Inmates that have offered sleeping space in their yards or houses for other inmates on their journeys across the county/world.

I wish I was a more active member here and knew about it when my wife and I rode from Pittsburgh to SD and back (no not for Sturgis) last year. You sometimes get to sleep inside and get home cooked meals and hot showers!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Most rest stops that I've seen do have signs which say "No Overnight Camping," which seems to fit what you're asking. That said, if you're not bothering anyone, you'd probably be fine.

But rest stops are probably not a very good place to sleep. They're one of the very few places that tend to attract criminal activities. That's speaking of rest areas located along major routes. I've safely camped at many small country rest areas, as are common in Texas and in a few other states. Many of them are practically abandoned.

Jamie
The "no overnight camping" rule is usually also accompanied by "limit stay to 8 hours". If you need some shut eye, that is the very reason the rest stop exists - just don't pitch a tent and get out lawn chairs.

That said, the craziest, most desperate people I've EVER come across in my 48 years have been at rest stops on major freeways.

My rule is to be the most (potentially) dangerous person there. I'm polite and I keep to myself, but I will not be a victim.
aftCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post

The cemetery idea submitted by TE is a good suggestion, as are churches and behind warehouses. The region of the country where you're traveling seems to have an abundance of churches.

Jamie
rest stops all have trucks parked overnight. is that not camping too?
maybe those signs mean do not set up a tent?
i've sleep in my car at many a rest stop. no one ever bothered me.
i'd gather a tent would be alot noisier w/ the trucks idling.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote