User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Anybody have a Moto Guzzi V7?

Well, I was testing out some big adv tourers (report write-up over in Beasts) and really liked the Stelvio. So that got me thinking about the rest of the Guzzi line-up and what I really want in a bike. I'm still up in the air about it all, but I have two Ducati Elefants for real touring/off-road duty, and it would be nice to have a modern (read: low maintenance) bike to commute on. I liked the Stelvio, but it was a bit too refined and very duplicative of the capabilities of my current bikes.

Add to that the fact that my wife recently got her M1, but is intimidated by the 'Fants, I'm thinking maybe a V7 would be the way to go. I have a 60 mile commute each way, so the good gas mileage, shaft drive, and fuel injection seem like a plus to me. The smaller size would probably make it a bit easier for her to handle and get used to riding. I'd probably ride the bike near-daily on commute, and she'd ride it whenever she felt like a ride (I'd take my Fant those days).

What says the forum? Anyone got one? The new 2013s are supposed to have a little more power. My wife likes the looks of the racer the best, but the special and classic are nice too. If we got the racer, I'd probably put the two-up seat kit on it.

For reference, I'm 6'2 and 215 lbs, my wife is 5'10 and 130-140-ish. (she won't tell me) I've heard the suspension on the classic is a bit soft for a 200 lb rider. Is the racer going to solve that problem?

Pros/cons? stuff to watch out for? Thanks!
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Better for average-sized folks

There's a thread here somewhere on the V7 Classic. I own a Classic and I've test ridden a 2013 Stone with the new engine. The new engine is great, noticeably more torquey and quick than the older. The new V7s are fantastic bikes for "everyday people" type riding. If there's any justice in the world, the new V7 should break all Moto Guzzi sales records.

It's a truism with Guzzi's that if you focus solely on performance and compare what you're getting for your dollar, they are outclassed by dozens of other bikes. People buy Guzzi's for the aesthetics, for the visceral pleasure that the engines bring, and/or to be a little different. You certainly get that with the V7 and you also get a very competent bike, well-suited for a 60-mile daily commute or even some touring.

I think you'll find, being over 6', that you feel a tad circus bear-ish on the V7. Big people can and do ride the V7, but in my opinion the geometry is more optimal for someone 5'6" to 5'10".
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 335
I'm 6'2" and am quite comfortable on a V7 Racer. As with any bike at this price point, the suspension needs work. The V7R has BiTurbo shocks on the back, but they're a marginal improvement.
Pokeyjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I have never ridden one, but I have developed a bad case of Guzzi lust lately. Seems to me that a V7 Stone and a Stelvio in the garage would cover just about anything I would want from two wheels. Now where did I put that winning lottery ticket
Old 10-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post
I have never ridden one, but I have developed a bad case of Guzzi lust lately. Seems to me that a V7 Stone and a Stelvio in the garage would cover just about anything I would want from two wheels. Now where did I put that winning lottery ticket
That is my dream garage as well! Maybe a Classic vs the Stone but a V7 for sure.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Well, I went and test rode one today, and my local dealer has a smokin' deal on a 2012 (yeah, I know they just bumped the power- no biggie to me), and I really enjoyed myself! After initially thinking I wanted another big adventure bike, I realized I still love my Elefants too much and don't need another ADV bike. I just want a practical and reliable commuter that my wife won't be intimidated by. The Guzzi fit the bill. I dragged my wife over to see it and she sat on it and got to grinning. Sat the kids on it and took photos. It feels like I'm riding a bicycle on the freeway! Handles ok, but fun anyway. great mileage and low maintenance! Build quality next to the scrambler is no contest.

Gonna pick it up tomorrow. V7 Classic in black.

Cade
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
Well, I went and test rode one today, and my local dealer has a smokin' deal on a 2012 (yeah, I know they just bumped the power- no biggie to me), and I really enjoyed myself! After initially thinking I wanted another big adventure bike, I realized I still love my Elefants too much and don't need another ADV bike. I just want a practical and reliable commuter that my wife won't be intimidated by. The Guzzi fit the bill. I dragged my wife over to see it and she sat on it and got to grinning. Sat the kids on it and took photos. It feels like I'm riding a bicycle on the freeway! Handles ok, but fun anyway. great mileage and low maintenance! Build quality next to the scrambler is no contest.

Cade
Well done! The new V7 is improved, but it's still fundamentally the same bike. The additional power of the new engine probably won't matter to most people, given how this bike is meant to be ridden. For all practical purposes, the Classic is just as enjoyable and useful. The lighter wheels of the new model is something I might add to my Classic at some point. Test riding the Stone, I definitely noticed it turning in more easily. Again, not a big deal, the Classic is agile enough.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:

Cade
Please post up pics/reports so that us broke guys can live vicariously through your new bike purchase

It sounds like it checks a lot of the boxes for a fun commuter/errand-runner/round town bike. With the rest of your bikes, a great addition to your stable!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
rbm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
It feels like I'm riding a bicycle on the freeway! Handles ok, but fun anyway. great mileage and low maintenance! Build quality next to the scrambler is no contest.

Cade
Congrats on your choice of the V7. Funny enough, that's the same analogy I use to describe riding my V7 Racer. It's feels like riding a bike -- light, nimble, powerful for its size.

As for milage, you can count on 46 MPG typically -- 50 is a stretch. It still makes for a nice commuting bike all the same. I've been tracking my milage on my V7R over at Fuelly if you're interested.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rbm/v7-classic
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 590
These seems to be the best place to ask the question...

Do all the new 2013 V7s have tubeless wheels?

My local Guzzi dealer INSISTS that all the current V7s are tubeless in spite of the Classic and Racer having spoked wheels. I've asked on three different occasions and he is adamant. Nothing on Guzzi's pages supports this -and- it generally doesn't make sense, though it's possible.

Can anyone answer this definitively?
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,455
My 2013 V7R has spoked wheels and I just assumed it has tubes. My Stelvio has spokes and no tubes but I don't think the V7 is set up this way.

Marc
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
These seems to be the best place to ask the question...

Do all the new 2013 V7s have tubeless wheels?

My local Guzzi dealer INSISTS that all the current V7s are tubeless in spite of the Classic and Racer having spoked wheels. I've asked on three different occasions and he is adamant. Nothing on Guzzi's pages supports this -and- it generally doesn't make sense, though it's possible.

Can anyone answer this definitively?
Your dealer is clueless.. How long has he been a dealer? Has he ever worked on one of the bikes?

While the bike comes equipped with "tubeless" tires, the spoked wheels on the V7 lineup require tubes. They are traditional "tube-type" wire spoked wheels.

The Stelvio NTX comes equipped with Alpina "tubeless spoked" wheels, and it currently the only Guzzi with tubeless spokes.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Your dealer is clueless.. How long has he been a dealer? Has he ever worked on one of the bikes?

While the bike comes equipped with "tubeless" tires, the spoked wheels on the V7 lineup require tubes. They are traditional "tube-type" wire spoked wheels.

The Stelvio NTX comes equipped with Alpina "tubeless spoked" wheels, and it currently the only Guzzi with tubeless spokes.
That jibes with my thoughts and understanding. He just may be clueless but he even claims the change came with the 2013s. Quite a story if he's making it up. Again, it doesn't make a lot of sense especially Guzzi's keeping mum about it if it's true.

Have you seen a 2013 spoked wheel with the tire off?
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Griso is also spoked and tubeless.

Apart from a very few good apples, you really can't trust a damn thing any dealership salesperson tells you. Research and verify.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #15
Gussie Moto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:

Listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about !!!
Gussie Moto is offline   Reply With Quote