User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
GailCallsMeKarl OP
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 844
Shortypants Bike - Converting a CRF 150R into a trail oriented dual sport

I am an RFS* chic. (*Really F’ing Short) 4’ 11”, 27” inseam. I started riding a little over a year ago. I bought a TTR125 to start trail riding to improve my riding skills. I was lucky enough to find a great friend and teacher in MGorman. I rode and wrecked the TTR until I almost killed her. MGorman gave me the go ahead to move up to bike #2. I have a 230 but it proved to be too big for me to successfully trail ride. I could pick it up about twice a day and that was about it. I also felt the suspension wasn’t what I wanted. (His KTM spoiled me) The search was on for a light, small and powerful bike. Enter the CRF150R.

For those that think it’s just a 150….it weighs in at just 183 lbs. and generates nearly 20 hp.

This thing is a wheelie machine! Grown men would steal it away for a lap of the parking area and come back grinning ear to ear. I knew I had a good machine, but she did scare me a bit! I went ahead and bought it, knowing I didn’t have many options in the little bitty bike category.

The bike was still pretty tall for me so first things first; lowered by installing KoubaLink.

Now it’s time to convert it!
First off, I don’t wire things. I’ll tear into anything mechanical, but electrical stuff…..

So what do I do? I find an engineer to do it for me! This was his wiring diagram. (I should have been scared, maybe?)

I was ready to open the crank case and replace the OEM flywheel and stator. I’m a Lego’s kid so I like to have drawings of how it’s supposed to go back together. A piece of cardboard served as a great way to keep track of what bolt came from where.

Got stuck here at 9pm on a Saturday Night with no impact wrench to remove the flywheel:

Naked Sunday morning with her headlights staring at me

OEM flywheel

Weighted flywheel

Trail Tech Battery bag

The now crammed air box

All finished! Ready for the first ride on a gravel road!

Shot of the nice clean brake light.

A little custom touch for my little red wagon…..

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X

GailCallsMeKarl screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 07:42 PM
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
GailCallsMeKarl OP
Squirrel w/ no nuts

The Details

Parts List
Koubalink Lowering Link
Trailtech X2 Torch Halogen
Headlight
Trailtech DC Stator, Battery
Trailtech Flywheel and puller
Acerbis X-LED Tail Light
K & S Rear Brake Switch
Tugger Strap

Flatland Racing Skid Plate
Trail Tech Kick Stand
Clarke 1.7 Gallon Fuel Tank - added Oct 2012
G2 Throttle Cam - added Nov 2013

The THANK YOU! List
MGorman – Fabulous friend and mentor. He gives me the confidence to ride hard and wrench on my bike without hesitation. First man I met that actually encouraged me to work on my bike and let me wrench.
MuddyRabbit – My parts connection!
MikeF5000 – For always having an opinion and helping with the parts list.
Z@ch – For picking the parts, wiring the bike and for the continued encouragement. I’m so lucky!
Sion – For giving me my rear view mirror. I’ll always think of you looking back…..

GailCallsMeKarl screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 01:30 PM
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Awesome bike and great post, really interested in one of these for my sister. We would be dual sporting it as well so please keep this updated.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
GailCallsMeKarl OP
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Thanks! I will! I'm taking this weekend to the Roll The Bones Rally in Hamilton TX so I'll post pics!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 10,645
I love that bike.

That's exactly what I want to find for my step son.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
For the sister, for the son, whatever excuse you need, these bikes rock!
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
What an incredibly awesome build! My wife's 4'11" and I've been thinking of doing something similar. I love your choices in upgrades.

If/When you decide you want more power or suspension, you might be interested in what the folks at Brown Brother's Racing can do for you. http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Home/Home.aspx?s=true

Love It!!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
If your looking for a good dual sport tire that will fit those wheels check out the Shinko 244.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
GailCallsMeKarl OP
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
If your looking for a good dual sport tire that will fit those wheels check out the Shinko 244.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Thanks!! I was going to buy those for the 230 so I'll check that out!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #10
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,478
Looks good, Carrie!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,490
I like it.
I just put a Baja DS kit on a KLX140L. It turned out really nice.
I think the next bike will be the 150RB.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
thumpergirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Did you make it to RTB? I must have missed you. I was only there Saturday night and I did solo rides both Saturday and Sunday. Always looking for more women to ride with - there are not enough dual sport women out there!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
GailCallsMeKarl OP
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpergirl View Post
Did you make it to RTB? I must have missed you. I was only there Saturday night and I did solo rides both Saturday and Sunday. Always looking for more women to ride with - there are not enough dual sport women out there!
I did! I think I passed you going the opposite way at one point. It was Sunday late morning, somewhere between 36 and that bridge near the big game ranch. (I don't GPS, can you tell?)

I think I'm headed to Red River this weekend, didn't know if you do dirt or not. I'm also going to try to make DFW First Friday Beer this Friday. Hopefully we can catch each other!

Let me know when you're riding, I go any chance I get!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
The Roadie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpergirl View Post
I wanted to second this I just bought myself a '82 xl500r, love my little thumper. Kick only.. I think it is important to have women in dual sport, we have to join together and even out with the men some time! haha.

Sorry I couldn't really contribute to the tiny bike rally.. I love that you guys customize them to fit you perfect. I currently sometimes just roll up to a small curb and stand on it, when my bike is really being a pain to kick and I need to be right on top of it... but other than that I love the suspension that comes with being high off the ground. I have a growing hate for my lowered car though, so it's probably just my rebellion haha
The Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
GailCallsMeKarl OP
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadie View Post
I wanted to second this I just bought myself a '82 xl500r, love my little thumper. Kick only.. I think it is important to have women in dual sport, we have to join together and even out with the men some time! haha.

Sorry I couldn't really contribute to the tiny bike rally.. I love that you guys customize them to fit you perfect. I currently sometimes just roll up to a small curb and stand on it, when my bike is really being a pain to kick and I need to be right on top of it... but other than that I love the suspension that comes with being high off the ground. I have a growing hate for my lowered car though, so it's probably just my rebellion haha
Hey! I used to live in Ohio......next time I visit, we'll have to go ride!!!