Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,904
Compact/Midsize trucks

In the market. I'm looking to replace a 2004 Dodge Dakota. It's been a good truck. A great truck actually. It's just time to move on so I'm looking around. I'd love to find a truck about the same size or smaller that gets half way decent gas mileage. I mean, it's 2012. These guys could do it if they wanted to. Anyway, I suppose anything will be an upgrade from my 15 mpg V8.

I don't want/need a V8. I don't haul anything. This isn't a work truck (although work owns it). It's my daily driver when not on the bike. I like trucks, cos I like trucks, but I do find myself moving things around for work quite often, but I guess I'd consider something else. I'm just not a car guy though...

Chevrolet Colorado?

Toyota Tacoma?

Nissan Frontier

This review shows Toyota out ahead of the pack.

Thoughts?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
In the market. I'm looking to replace a 2004 Dodge Dakota. It's been a good truck. A great truck actually. It's just time to move on so I'm looking around. I'd love to find a truck about the same size or smaller that gets half way decent gas mileage. I mean, it's 2012. These guys could do it if they wanted to. Anyway, I suppose anything will be an upgrade from my 15 mpg V8.

I don't want/need a V8. I don't haul anything. This isn't a work truck (although work owns it). It's my daily driver when not on the bike. I like trucks, cos I like trucks, but I do find myself moving things around for work quite often, but I guess I'd consider something else. I'm just not a car guy though...

Chevrolet Colorado?

Toyota Tacoma?

Nissan Frontier

This review shows Toyota out ahead of the pack.

Thoughts?
Except the Colorado, unless you get a truck older than the one you already have, these are bigger than the Dakota you have now, and not likely to do any better on fuel with any of them.

Here in the US the small pickup went extinct with the end of the Ford Ranger. I have one that is and has been a great little truck, but it isn't that great on mileage either. If I was looking, I would include the F-150 and the Dodge 1500.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post

Here in the US the small pickup went extinct with the end of the Ford Ranger.
Yeah. It's a real bummer.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,074
I bought a new 2007 Tacoma Sport, V6/auto, double cab, long bed and could not be happier. It is paid for and trouble free. I expect to have it for a long, long time. The last tank was 21mpg. Pay it up-front or later on, it has been a wonderful purchase. Zero regrets.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I bought a new 2007 Tacoma Sport, V6/auto, double cab, long bed and could not be happier. It is paid for and trouble free. I expect to have it for a long, long time. The last tank was 21mpg. Pay it up-front or later on, it has been a wonderful purchase. Zero regrets.
The best I got from mine (same spec) was 20mpg and that was on the freeway with the cruise set to 65mph. I was consistently at about 16mpg everywhere else.

Great truck but thirsty.

I now have one of these

'97 Nissan Frontier. Four banger with a five speed, it's great and does everything I need in a truck.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,782
I have to say that I am skeptical when I hear claims of 21+ mpg out of a V6 4wd Tacoma. Maybe a 2wd. Not a 4x4, no way. I drove my 07 4cyl 4wd Taco on a number of extended road-trips, and if I babied it (60-65) I'd get 20-21mpg, 18-19 if I leadfooted it a little (75mph), and about 15 around town. And while the V6s mileage might not be a whole lot less, they sure as hell don't do better.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
The best I got from mine (same spec) was 20mpg and that was on the freeway with the cruise set to 65mph. I was consistently at about 16mpg everywhere else.

Great truck but thirsty.

I now have one of these

'97 Nissan Frontier. Four banger with a five speed, it's great and does everything I need in a truck.
I had this truck...1995 4x4 regular cab 5 speed 4 cylinder. I would get a sticky lifter (i think) every now and then. I could not predict when it would happen, but when it would it was super annoying, and then it would go away...a week would go by it would come back.

The truck ran great and was awesome in the snow, it had manual locking hubs so I had to get out to engage them and then pull the 4x4 lever to get it into 4x4. I ended up selling it in 2008 when the clutch needed replaced. I bought a 4 door sedan because I needed reliable transportation and a/c, the summers here in NE Ohio can get pretty warm.

About three years ago I picked up a 1988 Toyota Tacoma 2wd 4 cyl. I love that truck, it is super small, but it runs amazing, and it only has 59K on it, bought it with 42K. The bed is a little rusty, but so far the frame is ok (knock on wood). I drive it whenever I can and for being only 2wd it is so low to the ground that it does a decent job in the snow, you just have to know how to drive it and its fine.

Good luck with the nissan. Get the timing chain replaced if it has not been done yet, and if it starts ticking take a good look at those lifters.

-Jack
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Except the Colorado, unless you get a truck older than the one you already have, these are bigger than the Dakota you have now, and not likely to do any better on fuel with any of them.
?
The Chevy Colly & GMC CanYa are smaller than the Dakota. I have a 2WD 4 cylinder ExtraCab Canyon and this morning's fill calculated to 23.5, even after a weekend of sitting idling, hauling heavy loads, and my son (Leadfoot) making 75+mph runs to Home Depot and the dump.

I'll sure acknowledge that the interior and features are sparse when compared to the Jap trucks. But between that and being discontinued, the things are massively cheap by comparison. I recently bought my very clean 2007 for $6900 to be a reliable hauler, not for high society.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
My truck is an 07 FJ Cruiser. Pretty much exactly the same as a V6 Tacoma, but an SUV. I'm at 5 years and 100000 problem free miles. Just a few wear and tear items replaced, but nothing major or expensive.

Used to get 21 mpg, with mods I've made it worse. I love it.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Bought an 04 Canyon crew cab last year. I 5 has pretty good power and gets good mileage on the highway if I keep the tach at 1500 rpm. Approx 55 mph.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Trail Ryder
Your Hero

Oddometer: 1,021
Wink

Dad and I both owned first-year Chevy Colorados. Good trucks. I miss mine.
Trail Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
squidhunter
suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
Wish I could say the same. I bought a 2007 Colorado new right after college. Most disappointing vehicle purchase yet. Paper thin paint that chipped and scratched way too easily, soft, cheap plastic interior you can gouge with your fingernail, and seat foam shavings covering the floor.

I didn't have any problems mechanically, and for a 4-cylinder, it had decent power. I was just underwhelmed by the build quality. Turned me off GM products. I traded it for a 10-yr old Tundra and never looked back.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
I was disappointed that the Colorado was larger than the S-10. And when I looked at a first-year model, there appeared to be rust traps built into the bed, especially where the front bulkhead and the floor met. It looked like a place where there should have been a bead of seam sealer. If nothing else, it was going to trap water, grit, small drill bits, etc., and be a pain to clean out. And the Transformers styling never did anything for me.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 994
I like my Ridgeline
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=39326

Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
I like my Ridgeline as well, 2007 RTX and I got 19+ mpg the last time I checked, combined city and highway. It does all that I have asked of it with Honda reliability.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: