User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 570
(New) GoPro Hero Which One?

I know there is a 130 page thread on here discussing the go pro bit I need a simple non techno feek answer.

Should I get a go pro hd 2 for $199 or go for the $400 go pro 3?

I just want a decent helmet cam that has great quality video and has a half decent battery life.

Is the go pro 3 worth the extra $200?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
The GoPro 3 comes in three different versions: White, Silver, Black. The white version is basically a GoPro 2 with a built-in wifi pack while using the smaller form factor of the 3 series and MicroSD cards instead of SD cards. It also has an aspherical lens for better underwater shots.

Daylight video quality will be approximately the same between all the GoPro 3 versions, though the silver and black seem to have better low light capability. GoPro 3 silver and black have increased bitrate capability, which can lead to better video (and is needed for higher framerates on the Black), though a higher bitrate doesn't guarantee a better quality video. They also support custom white balance, more field of view ranges, some additional photo modes, and in the case of the Black 4K/2.7K/1440p video and 1080p@60fps. The black also includes a wifi remote, which is an $80 MSRP add-on for the other 3 series and a $100 MSPR addon for the GoPro 1/2.

I think all action cams have roughly the same battery life. I haven't tried a GoPro 3 yet in terms of battery life, but the prior ones net about 1.5-2 hours recording time per battery, and much longer on standby or just taking timelapse photos.

I'd probably suggest skipping the GoPro2 and get the GoPro3 white if you're just looking to upload video to Youtube without full-on video editing. Same MSRP, but some additional features and a smaller form factor. And Youtube's compression for regular users tends to mask quality in higher end cameras anyway. I'd skip the Silver entirely for everyone, and only get the Black if you need the more professional-oriented settings, resolutions, or photo modes.

I should note that the 3 series is just coming out, so long-term reliability is an unknown.

EDIT: I'm not sure of the image sensors in the 3 series. This kinda throws a wildcard into the mix since this can significantly contribute to the image quality. And as far as I know they do still use CMOS sensors, which introduces rolling shutter.

kamikazekyle screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 02:22 AM
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,304
what he said.. Go with the Hero 3 white, same performance of the Hero 2, but with built in wifi, so not only can you add a remote control later, but you can also view your videos on a your wifi enabled phone or pad, so buying the add on screen isn't really necessary.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I would go for the 3 (black) if you have an Android or iOS based phone to use as remote, then sell the bundled dedicated remote 2nd hand to recoup some of the cost. I would move quickly and do this before the OS update to allow control of it by camera, as the 2nd price of the remotes will surely fall as the early adopters (who inevitably also have the flashiest phones) sell them once this is in place (December).
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
lanceputnam
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 445
3 black. Use your iphone with it like the above post mentioned. Also allows you to view your video over wifi on your phone which is nice. And the 60fps at 1080p is amazing. Might be overkill for most people but you will love it if you want some slow motion video. In my world (filming explosions) its the cats ass. You really cant beat it right now for $400.

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 570
Thanks for the info guys. Ill probably get the white edition.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,722
Don't discount the GPII, they are being reduced $100 ($199). The new lens of the Version 3 should help the fisheye and will def be an improvment over the GPII plus of course the remote capability but otherwise the modes are very similar except for the Black ver. That being said, I ordered the black edition first day it went on sale

I use the GP2 allot, it can do some nice video. Here's one I just finished from a recent ride, much of it's stabilized which reduces it's sharpness somewhat. The video is shot with 3 cams, 2 are the GP HD (black helmet) and a GP2 (orange helmet). If there is the same improvment with the GP3:GP2 as there was with the GPHD:GP2, I''d def recommend the ver 3.

RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,338
Nice footage. And great soundtrack. I love Apache! Played it many times in one of my old bands. We usually opened our second set with it.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 614
video noob questions

So, with the Hero 3 wifi capability, I assume that means I will need a local wifi connection to see the output right? Or, is there a direct connection between the camera and my iphone? Is such a connection possible?

So it would not be usable to determine whether or not the camera is line up where I want it right?

Can you play video back on the lcd backpack? Have they been able to get the backpack into the case?

Thanks for your replies.

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,722
Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahmule View Post
So, with the Hero 3 wifi capability, I assume that means I will need a local wifi connection to see the output right? Or, is there a direct connection between the camera and my iphone? Is such a connection possible?

Yes - typically a smartphone, cam creates it own network, phone connects to it.

So it would not be usable to determine whether or not the camera is line up where I want it right?

Yes

Can you play video back on the lcd backpack? Have they been able to get the backpack into the case?

Yes, backpack comes with a larger backdoor for the camera case so it will fit inside.

Thanks for your replies.
Glad to help
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Reviews

I am one of those who reads a lot of reviews before pulling the trigger on toys. After reading a lot of reviews and tech articles, I opted to go for the GoPro 3 Black bundle offered on Best Buy's website.
BigDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Guys, a few more questions.

I'm thinking of a GP and want to do the following

When mounted I would like to not have to then touch the unit again until I have finished the ride but want to make sure I am filming the correct things.

Therefore would like to mount the GP on my Helmet for example then take my Android mobile and make sure I have it set correctly by viewing the footage on the mobile to see if setup correctly before starting the ride.

Then I want to have the remote record device mounted on my bars so when I come to the first bit worth filming I can press the "go" button on the bars and it starts recording. Same when I want to stop recording, then start again (you get the idea )

When stopped for lunch would be then nice to view on the Android phone what I've recorded or bits of it, so want to ff and rewind recorded footage from the phone.

If I want and no doubt will need extra battery power I will also have the extra battery pack attached for when the original runs out. Will the extra attached battery start working after the original runs out so I will get a continuous 2-3 hrs life??

So in the above example I will not have to touch the GP on the helment as I will/should have everything I need from the bars and the phone?

I would also like the ability when editing to show some of the footage in slow mo.

Can that be done and if yes I'm presuming I need the GP3 Black version?

Thanks for any help.

nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Two days

Just a heads up. It takes quite a bit to get this thing up and running like you want it.
First day is spent fully charging both the camera and the remote. Second day is spent upgrading the software, downloading the app to your phone and testing it. Tethering the remote to the camera, finding the right mounts for your application, and printing out and READING the manual. Trust me, I am one of those who will only read instructions as a last result. I also found a number of informative youtube videos on the unit. Be sure to watch the video on unpacking it so you don't break anything just taking it out of the theft prevention box.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoc View Post
Just a heads up. It takes quite a bit to get this thing up and running like you want it.
First day is spent fully charging both the camera and the remote. Second day is spent upgrading the software, downloading the app to your phone and testing it. Tethering the remote to the camera, finding the right mounts for your application, and printing out and READING the manual. Trust me, I am one of those who will only read instructions as a last result. I also found a number of informative youtube videos on the unit. Be sure to watch the video on unpacking it so you don't break anything just taking it out of the theft prevention box.
My brother got his GoPro 3 Black edition yesterday morning. It comes partly charged, so you don't need to charge it immediately. You can do your setup and then let it charge that first night.

My brother had his setup, firmware upgraded, and working with the remote and the Android app within a couple of hours, tops (no mounting it anywhere, though). And that was while he was at work. Dunno how much actual work he did during that time...

He sent me the PDF of the owner's manual because I'm planning to get the same camera and had some questions I haven't seen addressed here. I read the whole manual in about 30 minutes. Operation of the camera seems pretty straightforward, to me.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

youtube

Here is an informative clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCXHnk8_Svk