Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
JoaoPCF OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Motorcycle Jackets??

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a jacket all-purposes in RevZilla and I'm extremely confused.

So maybe somone here who knows this jackets better than me can tell me which one of this you think it's a better option for a guy that uses a bike everyday and is planning some big adventure trips (lots of different weathers) and some regular off-road with a trail bike. Plus buying online makes everything more confusing since you don't get to actually try the jackets and see how they feel in the body.

Held Carese Gore-Tex Jacket (700$)
Alpinestars Durban Gore-Tex Jacket(700$)
Spidi Marathon H2OUT Jacket (600$)
Klim Latitude 840 Jacket (560$)

I'm not thinking to spend more than 750$ so my main choices are these. What do you think?

All seem good and I'm afraid to choose one just for the way it looks and miss some really important feature.

Thanks

JoaoPCF screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 06:32 AM
JoaoPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaoPCF View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a jacket all-purposes in RevZilla and I'm extremely confused.

So maybe somone here who knows this jackets better than me can tell me which one of this you think it's a better option for a guy that uses a bike everyday and is planning some big adventure trips (lots of different weathers) and some regular off-road with a trail bike. Plus buying online makes everything more confusing since you don't get to actually try the jackets and see how they feel in the body.

Held Carese Gore-Tex Jacket (700$)
Alpinestars Durban Gore-Tex Jacket(700$)
Spidi Marathon H2OUT Jacket (600$)
Klim Latitude 840 Jacket (560$)

I'm not thinking to spend more than 750$ so my main choices are these. What do you think?

All seem good and I'm afraid to choose one just for the way it looks and miss some really important feature.

Thanks
I have been doing this exact same jacket search for about three months, and I'd go with the Klim Latitude. (Personally, I'm buying the Klim Badlands Pro, but that's just me, because it has better venting in the summer.)

I like the Latitude because it's Gore-Tex on the exterior shell there's no liner. If I remember correctly, and I did look at all those same jackets, the other three jackets all have liners. For me, I wanted to simplify. I didn't want liners, waterproof or thermal.

The Klim stuff has a great reputation, and the waterproofing is guaranteed for life. Also, it's the cheapest jacket, but I think your bang-for-the-buck is the best with the Latitude. I do believe the other jackets all have d3O armor, while the Latitude does not. I still think CE-rated armor is pretty good, though; the d3O is maybe slightly more comfortable.

As for fit, that's always a guessing game. Everyone is different. If you buy from Revzilla, they will exchange your jacket if it's the wrong size and ship the right size for free. I think they do this one time only, though. But that's pretty good customer service. Also, you can call them or email them and they'll offer sizing advice. (By the way, I do not work for Revzilla and I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I am impressed with their customer service.)

I hope these thoughts help you find the right jacket. All the jackets listed will probably do 98% of what you need a jacket to do.

Let us know what you decide, and do a write-up on the jacket you buy.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 250
I haven't had that particular model, but in general Alpinestars fit and detailing are excellent.

You might also consider stuff from Aerostich and Motoport, and check the used Gear here, great way to try things before spending retail money on something. I got a full Motoport stretch Kevlar suit on here for half your budget, with rain liners.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,581
JoaoPCF, if you ask around, a lot of riders will swear by the Aerostich jackets. A lot. I mean, really, a lot. The Roadcrafter is in your price range, as is the Darien. Both are excellent jackets, and waterproof. Liners can be added.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,344
If you're preparing for lots of different temps, I would get whatever will be the most comfortable in the hottest temps. You can then add layers/electrics underneath to make it comfortable when it's cold. You'll never make a warm suit cool enough, when it's hot out.

I already have a Roadcrafter 1pc and (previously) a Roadcrafter 2pc. I got a Motoport 2pc. The mesh kevlar is the best protection you can get and the best in hot weather. And the price for a jacket is well under anything you (OP) listed. And the fit is custom tailored to you measurements. It just doesn't get any better than that.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
The Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket is pretty friggin awesome too. it's a mesh with a detachable over, that makes it weatherproof (wind, rain, etc.) and its much cheaper than those you have posted. i wish i would have bought one instead of the 2 jackets i own.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:30 AM   #7
JoaoPCF OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thank you all for all your help and useful information, but I ended up buying the new Drenaline Atlas 2 (305).

A great jacket, made in Portugal, with Cordura softshell, removable liner with waterproof, breathable and eyedry membrane. Plus protections on the shoulders, elbow and back.

JoaoPCF is offline   Reply With Quote