User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2005, 04:50 AM   #1
frazz OP
Slow & Easy

Oddometer: 241
Thumb BMW Venting Machine - First Impressions

It's been hot, humid and still here in Riderland for the past couple of weeks I've been coming home from rides and events soaking wet despite the gear worn that day..........technology to the rescue.......

As an early Fathers Day gift.....I got the new BMW Venting Machine suit ($$$)

I have to admit, they did it right....the outer shell is high strength polymide with reflective thread for night riding. It comes in black/silver and zips together. CE armor knees, elbows, shoulders, back and pockets for optional hip & thigh armor (this is BMW after all) The suit is very light weight but gives a feeling that it will hold up well under any circumstances. Oh, and it kept this old body cool on a 500 miler in 80%-90% humidity and various stop n go through small towns, etc..

I've had most of the the other mesh suits and just didn't feel as comfortable that they would protect and hold together during a bad get off (maybe just me).....anyway, I'm very pleased and would suggest you give them a look/see if you are in the market for this type apparel. The only criticism(?) is it only comes in the black/silver and I thought it might be a few degrees cooler in silver/black, but that's just speculation, felt cool sitting or riding

I do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.
frazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Oddometer: 2,081
I bought one a few weeks ago and I have to agree, very good construction, comfy and good range of sizes. Its 34ºc here today so its going to get used.

bob
Old 06-17-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
Sounds interesting. How 'bout some pics?
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
ArbyNav
Boxer Fan

Oddometer: 23
Also got Venting Machine

I just got a BMW Venting Machine too, same reasons as above, and love it. I've got over 500 miles on it and it works swell for keeping the air flowing. But carry lots of water - I was dry and cool but still sweated (it was in the 90's) but I never noticed as the air flow carried it away so fast. I downed two quarts of water on a stop. If you hold the suit up to a light, you can see through it. Stopped in a traffic jam at noon, it did get hot, but I don't know of any other suit that won't. Fit on the jacket is excellent, the pants are a little long, they don't have inseam sizes yet (I have a short inseam for my torso length, with no belly I have a 34" waist but a 29" inseam). Armor is good, and the fit keeps everything in place. I added the hip armor, it stretched the pants a little across the front. The knee pads were noticeable at first on a long ride, but got more comfortable. I'd read a review that said the fabric seemed rough, but it felt fine to me. I can work all the fasteners with gloves on. I got the BMW AirFlow gloves to go with it - they tuck under the sleeves very well (look designed to do that) and carry the suit style pattern. Tucked under the sleeves, I can get airflow up the right sleeve when I flex it, in addition to through it. On the left arm my watch blocks flow up the sleeve. Snapped tight, not as much airflow goes up, but some. Bugs don't get through the mesh - I hit clouds of them at night. The armor looks and feels excellent - the back protector is CE approved which isn't that common on jackets (most have just the elbow and shoulder CE rated). The jacket fits in a very small packet - can't really fold it up tight because of the back armor but it folds very thin, and the pants do too. I wear microfiber wicking shirts, underpants and socks (mixes of UnderArmor, Coolmax and Reebok) under the suit and the combination is very comfortable.

I'm very happy with this - glad I got it, recommend it to you if you can afford it, but the sticker shock is very real. The second choice was a Rev'it suit.
ArbyNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
Venting Machine Jacket..

I wore mine for the first time this weekend, low 90's in Houston, and it was incredible. Huge improvement over my perforated Vanson jacket. I understand it works incredibly well with the Marsee Cool Vest underneath, so I'm going to buy one of those too.

It's pricey, but nicely made and worth it if you live in a climate like mine.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
Four posts from owners of the "made for the Gods" outfit and I can't even get a picture. I got money burnin' a hole in my pocket and you guys won't let me try to spend it. Jeez!
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #7
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,259
Why does BMW's pics of their Venting Machine Suit suck ass so much?!

Jeez louise, it's like they don't actually want you to see it!

Did a search and found this thread. Figured I'd give it a bump for others who're checkin' it out.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/bmwventsuit/

methinks I've another suit to save up for!
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,874
I just wish that hot weather gear came in colors other than black.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
native
You got to hold on

Oddometer: 1,826
Has anyone found a place to buy the VM suit for less than retail? Does it come in tall sizes?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." HST

"Soccer moms will be the death of us all."
native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by native
Has anyone found a place to buy the VM suit for less than retail? Does it come in tall sizes?

$ 700!!!
That thing better have Auto-suck included.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Another choice from BMW?

Hey, Frazz,

I'm being steered to the Santiago pants and the Venting Machine jacket ... Did you look at the Santiago?

And if it is an alternative to the Venting Machine, Wxwaxy, it comes in colors. Sand/marine, graphite/stone grey. Pants: sand, black.
Harry Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:20 AM   #12
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
$ 700!!!

I feel certain it does, sort of. As soon as you hand over the money for it, you may have to urge to lay back and light up a ciggy.
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #13
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
$ 700!!!
I hate the BMW prices too but it is good stuff. I was in a hiking store and Seattle and saw wind breakers for $475.
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
aero750
n00b

Oddometer: 6
So how are things a year later?

I have enjoyed reading the various good reports on the BMW VM. It is refreshing to hear such good reports.

I want a protective suit that will provide excellent coverage from Road Rash, but I also need cooling for the hot days of summer.

I had been directed towards the stiff Air Mesh products from Motoport. If I cannot get my leg over the seat, that's a problem.

It seems the BMW product is the cat's meow. I wonder how the owners feel about your purchase, here a year later?

Also, can anyone provide helpful information about the optional hip armor? I cannot find any information on their website.

By the way, the only way I could bring up the VM product on the BMW dealer apparel website was to do a search. I could not find it under the normal BMW product listing for jackets.

Thank you for your help, recommendations and comparisons to the Air Mesh products from Motoport.
aero750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
Repko
Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer: 538
cooool suit

I'm buying the same thing soon. It looks so darn well made! & protective!!!

Do not wear COTTON under, Polyester-Microfiber for COOOOOL results!
Amazing love (grace) how can it be, that you my king would die for me?
Repko is offline   Reply With Quote