Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
DirtViking OP
SKOL!

Oddometer: 372
2010 GasGas 280 Economy Model - - What is it worth?????

I'm absolutely new to trials, but not motorcycles. I'm trying to find out what these models are selling for on the used market, but I'm coming up dry.

Can someone give me an opinion?

The particular bike I'm looking at is essentially stock. The owner has added a red shift lever, a 1 tooth smaller counter sprocket and Ryan Young levers. He narrowed the bars a bit, but they are still stock.

Owner estimates about 60 hours on the bike, but has no way of telling.

Fairly new Dunlop on the front with a Michelin rear. Amsoil 20W50 synthetic in the tranny and uses a 90:1 oil/gas mix. He bought a 2012 GG, so he's offering this one for sale.

Thanks for the input!

Jon

DirtViking screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 06:22 AM
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
I ride a 2009 GG280TXT Econo. I'm told it's more or less the stock bike of the year before. I've been very happy, beating the very crap out of it. Yours looks cleaner.

Seems like a bike loses a couple grand in the first year, and a little less the next, until it gets down around $2K when it is worth its condition etc.

Yours started at $5500, so is a bargain at $2500 and okay at $3500? Or maybe add $500 to each of those numbers if the guy is gonna coach you.

Bikes are selling slowly -- does the seller want to sell? I'll soon be selling an 06 Beta REV3 250, try to get $1500. The GG is a lot more bike esp. if you ride enduro or motocross and expect some snap.

Welcome to this strange pastime.

Gordy?
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post

Gordy?
I think that you are close. I have a 2010 280 Pro that I am currently doing a major clean up, plastic, service, etc. and am going to re-list it at $4,000.

The econo are a wierd lot. They could put two of them side by side and they would have different components like mufflers.
They are a great deal for the entry level riders though and if you are one of those, I would jump at anything close to $3K on that one. I wouldn't pay more than $3,500 IMO. I know of a pristine 2010 250 econo that is going for $4,000.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
DirtViking OP
SKOL!

Quote:
Bikes are selling slowly -- does the seller want to sell?
Well, kind of.

I got in contact with him through a local club president. The president knew he just bought a bike and figured he'd let this one go. It turned out that he was correct.

After talking with the owner, he said that he'd sell to me as a potential new club member, but didn't have any burning desire to get rid of it. His intention was to hold on to it as a second bike until a few days ago.

Jon
Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtViking View Post
I got in contact with him through a local club president.
I didn't know that there is a local club. Will you share the details please?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
Quirks -- riding a borrowed bike is a little bit of a marriage test, as you are sure to bang it up a bit.
The GGs are easy to start, run clean on 91 octane (with oil!...), don't have to fool with jetting for a wide range of altitude. The steering radius is not as tight as the Betas, but that means it won't tuck on you and throw you on the ground as quick.

The GG280 is a very quick revving motor, with a lot of punch. Even the 300s don't spool up as fast. So go easy a bit, feel out how much it takes to wheelie or vault up a wall. If you find it hard to manage, ride some other bikes.

Mine has a tube in the rear tire; better riders than I can feel it's not as supple as tubeless. It's a deficiency, if yours is likewise.

You need a triple-jointed thumb to turn the air filter bolt. Helps to have a beer before you change the filter, and just don't think about it. Clean that and the spark arrestor pretty often, if not every ride.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
DirtViking OP
SKOL!

Quote:
The GG280 is a very quick revving motor, with a lot of punch. Even the 300s don't spool up as fast. So go easy a bit, feel out how much it takes to wheelie or vault up a wall. If you find it hard to manage, ride some other bikes.
Do you think the 300 would be a better bike for someone starting out? Is the GG280, the YZ250 of the trials world?

Thanks for the input.

Jon
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
DirtViking OP
SKOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
They are a great deal for the entry level riders though and if you are one of those, I would jump at anything close to $3K on that one.
I'm definitely entry level, I've never ridden one! The current owner has offered the bike for me to ride, so I'll take him up on it.

Any quirks to look out for on that particular bike? He hasn't touched the original piston. I don't think that's a big deal, but I don't really know...

Jon
Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,439
A piston or top end should not be a worry on that new of trials bike. Now cleaning the head of carbon is a different story. The econo is not a pro, but it would be a good start for a newer rider!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 748
The same bike just came up for sale in San Francisco for $3,800. Guys in my club said that was a good deal. It was near new conditon. I was 3rd to call on it, then got an e-mail that he decide to not sell it. I would have given $3,500 for sure.

My dream deal is a very low use Beta Rev 3 for $2,400.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
bb

If its TXT based parts bin bike, then far more reliable than the Pro's, which if they are used hard will need a complete rebuild after 6 months use!

However if you are new to trials look at either a 125 or 200cc bike, as this will be far easier to ride and mean much better results than if you choose to struggle with 250/280/300cc machines, which are much more suited to experienced riders.

In terms of reliability any of the Jap powered bikes will be much better than the Euros, most of which suffer from poor build quality and mechanical issues.

Its also worth remembering its a really good idea to try to master the basics of riding a trials bike, before going on to the trick riding stuff thats makes up the majority of present day instruction DVDs covering trials.

Thanks for the input!

Jon[/QUOTE]

Twin-shocker screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 09:33 AM
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If its TXT based parts bin bike, then far more reliable than the Pro's, which if they are used hard will need a complete rebuild after 6 months use!
[/QUOTE]

A complete rebuild in 6 months? Come on Twin -Shocker. What a load of crap.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,640
I'm with you on that one Laser17. Load of

I'm continuously amazed with the quality and reliability of the new Gas Gas, Sherco and Beta bikes.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 05:12 PM
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,906
A complete rebuild in 6 months? Come on Twin -Shocker. What a load of crap. [/QUOTE]

Shit, I bought a new 2012 Pro and I guess I need two complete rebuilds now. I did change the oil and bleed the brakes with fresh oil today, so I've got a headstart.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #15
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
A complete rebuild in 6 months? Come on Twin -Shocker. What a load of crap. [/QUOTE]

Here in the UK serious expert riders have a new bike every 6 months, purely and simply due to the fact this is less costly than rebuilding something which is worn out. Especially so in the case of bikes like Gas Gas, which are very fragile and tend to fall to pieces quite quickly.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote