User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
To Tilt or Not To Tilt Motorcycle Carrier

Thinking about buying one of those single rail motorcycle carriers for the 250. You know, the ones that connect to the receiver of your tow vehicle.

Anyway, looks like they come in a tilting variety. Apparently you secure the unit to the receiver, pull a pin and the ramp tilts down to ground level so you can roll the bike up the ramp, into the chock.

I guess it saves you from having to carry an extra piece (the ramp) and then having to affix the ramp to the carrier.

Not sure if that such a big deal. Any experienced users of this carrier?

I do have 2 bike trailer that I use if a buddy is coming along. But I thought this might be easier if I'm going solo.
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
advdoctor
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have a tilt receiver hithch that I had welded up. Get a little running start, the bike rides up and the weight brings it back level. Just little tricky getting the tiedowns started by yourself.
advdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Joe3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
My carrier doesn't tilt. I have never had a problem with the ramp. I just throw it in the back of the truck when traveling. I only use the ramp for loading. For unloading I just back the DRZ off the rack without the ramp, just like I do on the trailer. My carrier is really easy to load and unload and strap by myself.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
I have been using the $120 aluminum version from harbor freight for over 2 years now.. no issues.. I keep wanting to upgrade it to a more expensive model..but this one just keeps doing the job. I check the bolts and connections frequently, anything from HF is suspect in these areas, but so far ... zero issues. It has a ramp, I would think the tilt versions would be steep ,, plus throw in some uneven ground and you could be in for a real push to get that thing past the tipping point.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
nealcassady
Novice

Oddometer: 365
I have had a 5x10' tilt utility trailer for many years that works great for any bike, plus hauls pretty much anything in the way of furniture, mowers, building materials, etc. The tilt feature is easy to use and I prefer it to having to carry a ramp. I don't see much reason for buying a dedicated bike trailer unless it's a lot cheaper and you'd never have need to haul anything else.
nealcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealcassady View Post
I have had a 5x10' tilt utility trailer for many years that works great for any bike, plus hauls pretty much anything in the way of furniture, mowers, building materials, etc. The tilt feature is easy to use and I prefer it to having to carry a ramp. I don't see much reason for buying a dedicated bike trailer unless it's a lot cheaper and you'd never have need to haul anything else.
I'm also looking a m/c hitch hauler but I'd much rather have a small trailer.
I just don't have the space to store a trailer unless it stands up.

Not super confident with the HF trailers but I'd take a second look at the hitch hauler.
9k bike on a $150 hitch makes me nervous

Been renting uhaul trailers for years now. I think I finally exceeded the price of buying on rental fees but then I dont have to store of maintain

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
I'm also looking a m/c hitch hauler but I'd much rather have a small trailer.
I just don't have the space to store a trailer unless it stands up.

Not super confident with the HF trailers but I'd take a second look at the hitch hauler.
9k bike on a $150 hitch makes me nervous

Been renting uhaul trailers for years now. I think I finally exceeded the price of buying on rental fees but then I dont have to store of maintain
There is a whole thread on the HF foldable trailers.. with a little help from upgraded hardware or a few welds they hold up pretty good for light duty use. I have seen quite a few Kendon stand up trailers come up on CL over the last two years.. and I live in a tiny little state. I am hauling my 2011 Husaberg FE570 on my HF hitch hauler... I get your nervousness
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,311
Literally just saw the Moto-tote on the back of an Audi Q5
Looked sturdy

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote