User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
gastone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,952
Three inmates get done by Cornerspin

Story goes like this: A while back a few inmates were talking about taking Cornerspin. We weren't thinking about the road racing application, mostly we were interested in being better dirt road riders. We all ride pigs, GS's, GSA's, KTM 990's, Tigers, et al. What we wanted to do was ride them better... faster... keep up with our buddies with the thumpers on our forays into the GW forest.

For me, life happened. My wife decided it was time to have a baby, time to remodel our upstairs bathroom, and time to buy a minivan. All costly endeavors. I quickly had to bow out of the Cornerspin commitment. Unbeknownst to me, macorell24, best man at my wedding and friend for well over 15 years, took it upon himself to get together with a group of inmates and pitch in to buy my ticket to cornerspin. I can't say enough about what he and the rest of the SMARs, BWDRs, CatHerders, and SMIBs did for me.

I got something in my eye.

The date was set, it was to be the weekend of November 10-11. Life happened once more, but this time is was other participants that were affected: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830324

Blaster, aka Bruce had quite the mishap in the end of September, just a month and half prior to the class. He, his wife Dorito (Dana) and joints4sale (Erik) decided to hold off until Spring when Bruce has fully recovered.

So the participants would be myself, macorell24 (Matt) and littlelionmonster (Paul), along with 9 other dudes whom we had never met.

Matt:

Paul:

More to follow.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
gastone OP
Beastly Adventurer

So Matt had done the dirty work of procuring permission from my wife for me to attend the class. He came down from his place in DC Friday to load up the adventure mobile, aka the wife's Camry.

Then my lovely wife and 3 month old daughter saw us off:

GPS said it would be a 5 hour drive to Spencer, NC. We pulled off sometime around 3:00, hoping to be there before 9:00. The trip was down was uneventful. Matt and I had enough driving misadventures in college, so something a bit more mundane was well received (by me at least). We did stop for gas... and this:

A number of years ago and Matt and I would have happily detoured in to whatever dive this was. Sadly there is no story to accompany the picture.

We met up with Paul at the hotel at around 8:30 where we promptly encountered toilet problems:

A fitful night sleep would see us all waking around 6:00, anxious to get to class. It was just north of freezing when we left the hotel and we arrived about 45 minutes early. The instructors opened the gates... and the trailer. Our steeds:

After meeting the instructors, Aaron Stevenson, Jamie Ray, Tim Matter, Joe, and Jamie's seven year old son Tristan, it was time for debriefing.

Tristan's ride:

Aaron reminded us that we were here to learn how to go fast around a track... a paved track... on a road bike... specifically a race bike. We would be doing this be going around a dirt track... that was at times muddy, at times silty, and at times just right... on 7hp dirt bikes... with street tires... and drum brakes. I was confused.
VAC
Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
We met up with Paul at the hotel at around 8:30 where we promptly encountered toilet problems:

Whoo wait a minute....there was no "we". You woke in the morning took your morning constitutional and came out to call for room service to deliver a plunger.

Nice start to the RR.... whenever you step out of line I'll set everyone straight.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,526
Oh yeah....great start....
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,777
this ought to be good

We are , God Willing, about 6 weeks out from joining the newborn ranks and all it entails....can you guess what name my wife wants for our daughter?

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
gastone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8 View Post
this ought to be good

We are , God Willing, about 6 weeks out from joining the newborn ranks and all it entails....can you guess what name my wife wants for our daughter?
Chris,

I'm less than 4 months and it's already the best ride I've ever taken. I can't wait to see pics of your little girl when she gets here.

G.
VAC
Old 11-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,331
It's looking good but don't pull a J4S and just stop writing!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by macorell24 View Post
Must be homesick on day 1 & missing that diaper changing feeling, eh?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 763
Great weekend! Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,842
Lakota want more
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
gastone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got the baby to take a nap... sorta. I'll try to get another post in with a few more pics.

Sink or swim.

We started by riding a few laps on the track. Aaron says that they use about 24 different configurations when teaching the class. I fell on all of them. To start there were twelve students and 2 instructors on a 35 second loop. Well, 35 seconds for the instructors and fast guys. Probably closer to 50 for me. That's if I stayed upright... which I didn't. In fact, I spent so much time on my knees that I thought maybe I was actually pledging a sorority and not learning motorcycle skills.

After 20 minutes of that punishment we were pulled off the course. The instructors had a baseline, they knew where to go from there. We were broken down into 3 groups of 4. Group one was the repeat takers and fast guys, and groups 2 and 3 were both new and slow.

The learning curve was steep. Aaron talked to us about remaining neutral on the bike and allowing the bike to move underneath us. The focus would be using our core and lower body to manipulate the bike. The class was reminded that we had handlebar skills, what we needed were skills that would properly allow us to use the bars.

Typical scenario went like this: One or two of the instructors would model some aspect of the course. Could be body position, braking, transitions. Then the students would try to replicate.

Instructor Tim. Guy is a fucking animal. Notice how he's got his foot off the pegs. Apparently it was kosher for the instructors to do this, but if we the students tried it we got beat... with a stick... by a seven year old. I'm not making this up.

Paul on the same corner. Notice his motard style foot... he was beaten for this. The pictures of the beatings were confiscated before we were allowed to leave.

Matt's turn. Notice his foot... and the instructors ganging up on him. It was a brutal beat down.

After a few laps working on staying neutral we set to working on crisp, heavy braking. First using rear only, then front only, then both. Locate a reference point, apply brake (coming into a turn) and stop where the instructors indicated. The rear was no problem, but they also wanted us to lock up the front tire at the end of each station so we could begin to get used to that happening. 'Twas a bit harrowing but no major get offs. It was amazing to discover how much front braking force you could apply in a fairly low traction environment and still maintain control.

Baby is screaming at me. More later.
VAC
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,256
Nice Y'all!!! looks like too much fun!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,175
Garrett, your mentioning the beat downs and get-offs brings back plenty of memories. That braking lesson was one of the best ones for me. I went into that class with a fear of the front brake. Feeling comfortable using plenty of front brake made me a better rider than before I went to the class. Glad you all felt it was worthwhile.

Did you let them see you cry? I'm pretty sure they would give you a beat down for that too.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Garrett, your mentioning the beat downs and get-offs brings back plenty of memories. That braking lesson was one of the best ones for me. I went into that class with a fear of the front brake. Feeling comfortable using plenty of front brake made me a better rider than before I went to the class. Glad you all felt it was worthwhile.
Shane Watts does a similar exercise in his class. Although he doesn't beat you if you get it wrong... he doesn't have to, the riding does that for him. I was so sore I could barely walk for several days after 2 days of riding with him.

Cornerspin sounds awesome. I'll have to make a trip out to one of their classes sometime.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,789
Lookin' good Gastone; looking forward to seeing the rest as this is something I've thought about doing for a while now. I may have to sign up for a spring class.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote