User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 167
Texas Coastal Riding Suggestions

Thinking about a winter ride from Kansas to Corpus Christi. Of course would like to visit the beach, but wondering if there are any good places to ride in the area? Trails, interesting back roads, scenery.... Doesn't even have to be Corpus Christi.. any coastal areas with cool riding nearby. Any help would be appreciated. It looks like there are some off road riding areas in the string of islands. Are those open to the public. Also looking for good places to camp.

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I bet you're dieing to find a road that has a curve in it and to see what a "forest" looks like

Can't say that I would suggest any "good" riding anywhere near Coastal TX. If you want to see or go to the beach, that's one thing, but if you are looking for some good riding in TX, The TX Hill Country or Big Bend would be the place to go riding. If you are going to make your way down thru Amarillo, you might want to take a detour and check out Palo Duro State Park while you're in that area.
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,247
Fulton Beach Rd. is a nice slow ride along the water in Rockport-Fulton. When it comes back to 35 there is a great BBQ near the intersection. If you turn right towards the causeway, FM 1781 on the left is a nice ride back towards Rockport. If you stay on 35 and go north you'll come to the road that goes to the Aransas National Refuge. Its a few miles off the main drag and there are a few curves on the way to the intercoastal but its all farm country and would be a good place to double the speed limit. There is a one way loop road through the refuge thats a nice ride. There is a ferry that goes out to Matagorda Island but I doubt they allow vehicles, but I might be wrong. There are roads out there. This is the only decent riding I know of along the coast. The ride from Port A to Corpus will put you to sleep. There are some sections of beach thats rideable also but they patrol it so watch your speed..

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 05:44 PM
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote