User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,801
Cell Phone Plans

Maybe my GoogleFu is weak, but I am having a hard time finding the answer...

We all know that the large mobile network companies (ATT&T, Verizon, etc) subsidize the cost of cell phones through increased rates on the actual plans. I currently have AT&T, and am eligible to upgrade to a new phone/plan which I want to do. However, what if I want to buy my own phone somewhere, and not from AT&T? Do they offer the same plans at a reduced cost since I would have nothing that needs to be subsidized? Or am I forced to go the pre-paid route (which after looking at AT&T's website is actually more expensive per GB of data)?

Or do I wait until the first of May 2013 when my two year contract is up, and say bye-bye to AT&T? But then what?

Thanks for any advice.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #2

Oddometer: 5,031
I don't know for sure but I'm gonna guess if they get less money and it benefits you they probably won't be too hip to the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Check into Virgin Mobile. I believe they offer plans for SIM cards only. The others might but you aren't going to find them advertised that well. From the shopping I've done, over the long term (and especially if you use a lot of data) your most cost effective route will be to take the ATT upgrade.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Your plan will remain the same price as it currently is. It doesn't get cheaper.

The only difference after the contract expires is that you can cancel that plan without incurring a fee.
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Oddometer: 460
Not sure if they still do it, I think T-mobile reduced rates off contract, no one else does.
~DC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~DC~ View Post
Not sure if they still do it, I think T-mobile reduced rates off contract, no one else does.
yep. well, close- they offer reduced rates for non subsidized phones- you actually need to sign a initial contract to get the lower rates anyways, iirc.

this, or go prepaid.
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStockwell View Post
Check into Virgin Mobile. I believe they offer plans for SIM cards only. The others might but you aren't going to find them advertised that well. From the shopping I've done, over the long term (and especially if you use a lot of data) your most cost effective route will be to take the ATT upgrade.
Virgin Mobile only supports CDMA--no SIM cards. They also will only activate Virgin Mobile phones. Theoretically Sprint phones would also be able to be activated and I've seen stories on the net where people have been able to talk the customer service rep into activating a Sprint phone on Virgin but it's not company policy.

My phone is $35/mo, unlimited text and data, 300 minutes of talk time. I bought my Optimus V used for $50 with an otter box case and screen protector.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Virgin Mobile only supports CDMA--no SIM cards. They also will only activate Virgin Mobile phones. Theoretically Sprint phones would also be able to be activated and I've seen stories on the net where people have been able to talk the customer service rep into activating a Sprint phone on Virgin but it's not company policy.

My phone is $35/mo, unlimited text and data, 300 minutes of talk time. I bought my Optimus V used for $50 with an otter box case and screen protector.

I'm using the same Virgin plan on an Evo V. I bought the phone for $130 (smokin' deal) with the option to use the service or not. I used the phone for a few days before activating it. After that period, I decided I liked the phone and shut off my Verizon service.

There was a week or so where making phone calls didn't work so well, but the folks on the other end seem to have sorted things.

I have mixed emotions on Virgin. Either they're selling my number to every company who wants it or the previous owner of the number gave it to anyone who asked. Yesterday I got 10 spam calls and as many texts! I don't get them all the time, but it's common to get several per week. To their credit, most of the calls/messages are looking for some heavy smoker named Christina. I may have just gotten one of the nightmarish recycled numbers

Hard to beat unlimited web, text and email for $35 a month though...even get 300 minutes with it. I don't make many calls, so it's the best deal going. Err, that and the lack of a contract! $55/month gets you unlimited everything!

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I'm using the same Virgin plan on an Evo V. I bought the phone for $130 (smokin' deal) with the option to use the service or not. I used the phone for a few days before activating it. After that period, I decided I liked the phone and shut off my Verizon service.

There was a week or so where making phone calls didn't work so well, but the folks on the other end seem to have sorted things.

I have mixed emotions on Virgin. Either they're selling my number to every company who wants it or the previous owner of the number gave it to anyone who asked. Yesterday I got 10 spam calls and as many texts! I don't get them all the time, but it's common to get several per week. To their credit, most of the calls/messages are looking for some heavy smoker named Christina. I may have just gotten one of the nightmarish recycled numbers

Hard to beat unlimited web, text and email for $35 a month though...even get 300 minutes with it. I don't make many calls, so it's the best deal going. Err, that and the lack of a contract! $55/month gets you unlimited everything!
I get very few spam calls--can't remember the last one. I have had my VM number since 2006 however, probably longer than anyone else has ever had a prepaid number.

I bet it was the PO of that number.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post

I had the same thing - they were looking for "Scott" and once I told them that this was no longer Scott's number, put the number into the do not call registry, called Verizon and told them to stop robot calling the number (apparently Scott was past due on his cell phone bill to the tune of $642 - my provider is t-mobile and I haven't had Verizon for almost 6 years) the calls dropped off. I haven't had one for weeks - but from some of the calls Scott must have been a real winner of a person.

I got the impression that Scott must have owed a lot of people money. Now I am sure of why my ex-wife changed her number every couple of months; to avoid calls from her creditors.

I still occasionally get that annoying scam call from Seattle telling me I have won a cruise - starts off with a loud fog horn - very annoying, but at least I don't have long to wait to know who is calling. I sure wish somebody would shut those guys down.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I had the same thing - they were looking for "Scott" and once I told them that this was no longer Scott's number, put the number into the do not call registry, called Verizon and told them to stop robot calling the number (apparently Scott was past due on his cell phone bill to the tune of $642 - my provider is t-mobile and I haven't had Verizon for almost 6 years) the calls dropped off. I haven't had one for weeks - but from some of the calls Scott must have been a real winner of a person.

I got the impression that Scott must have owed a lot of people money. Now I am sure of why my ex-wife changed her number every couple of months; to avoid calls from her creditors.

I still occasionally get that annoying scam call from Seattle telling me I have won a cruise - starts off with a loud fog horn - very annoying, but at least I don't have long to wait to know who is calling. I sure wish somebody would shut those guys down.

On the last round of rapid-fire calls, I gave in and answered one. There was a sorta shy gal on the other end. I told her that Christina no longer owned the number and all the calls were becoming harassing. She actually sounded sympathetic! It seems to have done some good as well, as I've only had one this week and it appears to be from a different party (been with me since day one). They leave messages asking me to call them back. I think I'm gonna make up a tragic story about my new friend Christina...eaten by wolves or sommat. Poor, sweet Christina...always feeding the strays. She will be missed.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,036
I think this happens with individual phone #s, it can't carrier related, other than the past due bill issue.
I rarely get wrong calls.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.

Oddometer: 56
Sorry..phone works fine, fingers on small keyboard not so much.

I will keep my AT&T account active for now and see how I get along with StraightTalk, but @ $45.00 I really don't see how I can go wrong.
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Chad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Us too.

After learning of Straight Talk via this thread, I bought an Iphone 3GS from Craigslist and set it up for my wife. The service is excellent so far as we can tell. It has been about a month. I do not recommend an Iphone which has been upgraded to the newest IOS (6.0.1) for this endeavor, however. They seem to have locked down the APN settings with the new version and getting data to work required a call to Straight Talk. After not being able to input the info manually, they directed me to a URL of theirs which pushed the correct setting in to get data. Never did get MMS (multi media messages) set up due to the locked down issue.

On the flip side, I recignized the problems to be IOS induced and tried the same thing with an Android phone (HTC One X). Set up took 10 minutes tops and everything is flying. Data is also coming down 3 times as fast as on the Iphone per various speed tests. On this phone i left the proxy blank as was the recommendation of numerous android forums. I assume the proxy was throttling it. Have not bothered trying adding the proxy info in to my APN settings to verify and I cannot access the ones on the Iphone (grrrrrrrrr...)

I am currently looking for a Galaxy S2 or One X in excellent condition for her, then the Iphone is history. Neither of us likes IOS in the least. I guess we are just too accustomed to Android.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,801
OK, this is all as I expected. I was just hoping that there was something out there I didn't know about. I kinda like the t-mobile plans, but unfortunately I would not get service inside the hospital I work at. Sprint doesn't work well either, and since Virgin uses Sprint's network... That is why I was asking about AT&T more than any other company.

Oh well. Gotta pay to play it seems.

Thanks all!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: