User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
hooliken OP
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,629
Buell Bliss

Bought my first 2006 Uly in 2007 with barely 2k on the clock. Did some stuff to it, and rode the wheels off of it. Then that fateful day in late 2008, when I interacted with a furry woodland creature on the way home from work, and totaled it and myself. Had a few different bikes since and recently traded a cherry 2004 ZRX1200 for another 2006 Uly. I forgot how much of an amazing, quirky, fun bike it is. If you haven't spent some time with one, and you have a pulse, i suggest you do, or you are missing out....
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Just think how many would be out there on the roads right now if the HD dealers would have actually tried to sell them with the same vigor as their namesake bikes. Is all it took was a test ride.
What a missed opportunity, I'm on an '08.........................
mbfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfj40 View Post
Just think how many would be out there on the roads right now if the HD dealers would have actually tried to sell them with the same vigor as their namesake bikes. Is all it took was a test ride.
Agree with ya 100% on this one. All it took was a test ride on my 09 and I was ready to sign papers.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfj40 View Post
Hell, if they'd just not tried to AVOID selling Buells things would have been much better. I remember going to the Atlanta IMS show in early 2006, I was looking at a Uly with my wife when a salesman from the local HD/Buell dealer comes up and says "They're OK, but you should look at this HD Barcolounger; it's a much better bike."

Fortunately I had already made up my mind and bought a new 2007 from the dealer here in Charleston in late 2006 and I'm still riding it today.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
Hell, if they'd just not tried to AVOID selling Buells things would have been much better. I remember going to the Atlanta IMS show in early 2006, I was looking at a Uly with my wife when a salesman from the local HD/Buell dealer comes up and says "They're OK, but you should look at this HD Barcolounger; it's a much better bike."
+1

I had the same experience when I went shopping for a bike to replace my BMW F650GS Dakar. Walked into the local HD/Buell shop (Livermore, CA) and there sat a Ulysses, off in the corner. What a GREAT looking bike! There were no less than 4 sales people standing around the showroom with no one else in there, and not one bothered to come over and even talk with me. They treated the bike like it was diseased, staying as far away from it as possible. I finally walked over and asked one of them what they could tell me about it, and their reply was "I don't know anything about it, I sell Harleys". I turned and walked out. A few weeks later I bought a new BMW R1200 GS......

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
+1

I had the same experience when I went shopping for a bike to replace my BMW F650GS Dakar. Walked into the local HD/Buell shop (Livermore, CA) and there sat a Ulysses, off in the corner. What a GREAT looking bike! There were no less than 4 sales people standing around the showroom with no one else in there, and not one bothered to come over and even talk with me. They treated the bike like it was diseased, staying as far away from it as possible. I finally walked over and asked one of them what they could tell me about it, and their reply was "I don't know anything about it, I sell Harleys". I turned and walked out. A few weeks later I bought a new BMW R1200 GS......

-SM
+1 - I felt like I was in one of those Star Trek episodes where someone has moved to another dimension. I could see all the sales people but I seemed to be completely invisible to them (and this is in the head office showroom of the Canadian Harley importer, Trev Deeley). If the importer's staff won't sell the Buells, what is the chance that the average dealer will?

When I moved over and sat on a HOG, I immediately became visible to the sales guys. When I said that I was actually interested in the Buells and not the Sportster, I instantly became invisible again.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
+1

-SM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
+1 - I felt like I was in one of those Star Trek episodes where someone has moved to another dimension. I could see all the sales people but I seemed to be completely invisible to them (and this is in the head office showroom of the Canadian Harley importer, Trev Deeley). If the importer's staff won't sell the Buells, what is the chance that the average dealer will?

When I moved over and sat on a HOG, I immediately became visible to the sales guys. When I said that I was actually interested in the Buells and not the Sportster, I instantly became invisible again.
I'll wager their disinterest was because they didn't see the potential of $5-10K sales of after market chrome & clothing with your Buell purchase.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Hoppalong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I could see all the sales people but I seemed to be completely invisible to them
You were smart not to buy and then deal with the parts people. I wasn't.

My experiences with three different HD dealers (trying to find one that didn't treat me like sh!t) has really soured me on HD.

I'll cheer when the last of the EasyRider generation gay-pirates no longer ride and HD goes belly-up. Good riddance!
Hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Algarve Nick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
The Ulysses is by far the most comfortable fun bike I've owned or been on. It is a way better tourer than my GS or KTM 950 Adv was and shed loads more fun. I'd love to take it on my fortcoming se Asian trip but I'm not a mechanic. Incidentally I wouldn't go on a modern BMW or a KTM!!
Algarve Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,092
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 184
When I first got my Uly (I bought it second hand from CL) it was still under warranty. I decided I would take it in to the dealer for a fueling issue I was having. The guy behind the counter who was writing up the ticket asked me "so when you going to buy a real bike?" I held my tongue because after all they were going to be wrenching on my bike. Suffice it to say I won't be going back to a dealership if I can help it.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 866
Hmm hadn't had that treatment

Never got into the Uly. Too high up and awkward for me to maneuver side to side. I think a xb12ss is a great, comfy road bike. This is my third Buell, over 110k miles on 'em..if you run into one, buy some soft luggage and call it done!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
rwcfrank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I bought my Uly new in March of 08 after a short test ride. The delaership was awesome (used to be Faultline fFremont now moved to Oakland). Every time I get the urge to change bikes I think about what the Uly can do the other can't. All of the other bikes I have considered Concours 14, Busa, KTM 990 etc all come up short in one category or another. I then go for a ride and my desire to swap is gone instantly. I will by a Multistrada in 3 years when I retire unless the new KTM is that much better, but I will keep the Uly.
rwcfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,400
I really like this bike.

Excellent roomy ergos, firm well-shaped seat and fine suspension quality make for an extremely comfortable ride.

Killer Buell chassis and healthy torque-fat motor are icing on the cake.

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Checkin' in - last weekend I got the Uly out on the road for the first time since November. Since then I've bought a "fast" Mustang as my daily driver and have been putting saddle time on my DT175 at the local ORV park... I'd forgotten much thrust the Uly makes right from the bottom and how effortless it is to toss around.

So much fun, but don't try to launch it like a DT :)

This photo is sort of a joke I couldn't resist:

Just shy of 48,000 miles now, but most aren't mine; it came with 37,000mi last February. Fixed the fuel pump wiring before Sturgis last summer and it was pretty easy, looks like fuel filters that fit can be had at Autozone; good to know. I think that's the last factory issue on it, the rest will likely be old bike issues. The Sturgis run toasted the battery pretty well, it hasn't been able to hold as deep a charge since that trip. No surprise with how hot it gets under the seat though.

This winter I'm going to take off the header and have the front pipe bunged for a wideband O2 sensor and fix the fueling on a dyno; a PO disabled closed loop learn and tuned it at sea level so it has about a 7000ft ceiling. I know because I completely bogged out and lost all power, blowing soot, while riding over the top of King's Hill Pass in Montana at about 7300ft and woke back up just below the pass. At least I can be pretty confident it isn't running lean!

I'd buy another one but maybe by then the AX will be a thing :)
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote