User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
metlcutr55 OP
LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer: 885
i need help from a volvo expert - 2002 v70 turbo runs then doesnt

i am driving one of these wagons right now. thats what dads do, lend their perfectly good toyota to their kids, so they and the grandkids can be safe and get around, while i get to figure out whats wrong with their car.

that part is easy, it dont run well. but we cant figure out what the problem is. it has 170000 miles, has been an ok car. all of a sudden, it seems like it runs on 1 cylinder. sometimes. i hate that. the sometimes part.

when it runs good it runs good. ive had it 2 days, but the kids have been dealing with this same issue for a couple weeks. we put the code reader on it, said o2 and cat not ready for inspection, but threw no other codes. i dont know which o2, its a cheap reader. im a klr guy. thus the toyota.

ran great last 3 days ive had it in the am headed to work. 28 deg, 8 mile ride. no issues. no warning lights. get out of work 10 hrs later, 40 deg, start car, bub...bub...bub...bub...bub idle. urgent maint light is on also service light. car shakes a lil. big cloud of white vapor out the tailpipe, but i jumped out and sniffed, cant smell antifreeze or gas. back in the car, push on the gas. slowly revs up to 1800 thats it. release. continue to do the same, after 5-8 + minutes of that, revs get up above 2000. tried to drive off, went about 1/4 mile, into a parking lot, by the time i got there, the car would rev 2500, but no power. vapor goes away after a couple of minutes when temp begins to climb. temp only climbs to normal after a while, not above.

turn off. turn on. rev to 2500. repeat x 10. no good. then next time voila. urgent maint message remains on, service light remains on, but car runs fine. takes me all the way home no prob. all this ffn around takes about 15 minutes, i havent yet tried to start it and let it idle 15 minutes to see if it goes away. as rough as it idles, id guess it would stall, maybe not.

the same 3 days in a row. sport car buff at work with big bux code reader says ill get you an answer right now. car runs same like shit. throws no codes. he's mystified. the o2 and cat codes disappeared when we disconnected the battery early on a week ago, not back yet, but just 26 miles on her. cat dont seem plugged, when it runs good it runs good.

im buffaloed. looked on the net, only the electronic throttle module popped up, but not quite the right symptoms as the descriptions. seems like it runs on 1 cyl, maybe 2 when its bad, and is smooth and powerful when its not.

i bet tomorrow am, the urgent message displays again, the car starts fine, the urgent messsage disappears and the 120 miles to empty tank message displays, all is good until i get out of work again and the cycle repeats. i dont mind fixing problems, but i dont want to take it to the dealer, car just isnt that valuable. any help to be had here?

thanks
ken

I am what you may call the 8th wonder.
Hey look out boys, get out the way, ladies get in line.
I aint perfect but almost, I'm dyin' if I'm lyin'
metlcutr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,378
Is there a Volvo mechanic near you? I notice a lot of disenchanted dealership techs will quit, hang a shingle and work at a good price. They know the PATTERN failures and how to quickly check for them. Yes, it's more than beer cans and hose clamps (KLR repairs) but it should be reasonable. Your cheapo code reader still tells you which O2 sensor.. the numerical code does. "left bank" etc.

And, just to throw my hat in the ring... I'd SWAG the MAF has soiled the sheets. BUT..... DON'T GUESS, DIAGNOSE. Cheaper in the long run.

concours screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 04:32 AM
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
Don't forget, its just an engine. It needs fuel, spark and air to run. If it doesn't get one of the three, I'd guess spark to start, because air will usually get there, and fuel system components don't fail as often as the ignition system (In my relatively limited experience). So do the simple test, unscrew a sparkplug, plug it back into the spark plug wire, and ground the sparkplug to the engine block. Start the engine and look for a nice fat spark. If present, turn off engine and repeat for the next cylinder. If you don't get a spark on any of the cylinders, you have a winner (or loser?). It might be a safe bet to replace the coil pack at this step, unless you want to jump into further diagnostics and probe the driver circuits for the coil packs with an oscilloscope, but that's generally beyond the scope of the typical backyard mechanic's diagnostics. Buddy's Focus had the same problem with missing, coil packs fail more frequently than you would expect from a solid state device. Check for unusual spark plug color or texture and condition while they're out. Its unlikely that so many of them are gapped incorrectly to produce such pronounced misfiring, especially all of a sudden, but you never know. If all of the spark plugs make a spark, then its time to move onto the fuel system. That could be a bit more tricky.

Also, make sure all your connectors are secure, especially the ones going to the coil pack and fuel injectors.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
A shorted o2 sensor can cause that.

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
metlcutr55 OP
LongGoneDaddy

warm day tomorrow will likely fool with this car. have contacted local volvo indie mechanic, waiting for a callback. have a good procedure for cleaning the maf, looking for one to clean the throttle body, not yet found one. regarding spark plug wires, it has none, a coil on ea plug. ill check that too and the plugs themselves. still troubles me the car runs fine about 1/2 the time, it either runs fine or barely not at all, no in between. and no codes. wish me luck. thanks for your replies.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Maf

Had same problem with my 96 850. Local mech cleaned up the MAF and its done well since (3 winters). I'm holding my breath for the eventual failure, but it was $250 I didn't have to spend at the time.

As for plugs ,buy the Volvo branded. The same mech is up the street from a Volvo stealer and has found that nothing else works right in the turbo flying bricks from Stockholm.

Tmaximusv screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 09:59 AM Reason: More info to response
Tmaximusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Ducky 149
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Hi, I've been a Volvo Tech since 2005. Master for the last 3 years. Sounds like a MAF is on the way out. Especially if you get no codes. Coils shit out all the time, but set fault codes. There is an alph numeric code on the coil tops for date of man. to roughly date them. If they are original might as well replace them (all) while you are in there. To clean the throttle there is onle the old fashioned take it off and degunk on the bench. (unlikely the problem). Good luck!!! I'll keep an eye peeled here for progress.

Ducky
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
DR-Zamboni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I've had some troubles with my volvo 850 wagon (same as v70 essentially). There are some issues with these cars that even the volvo gurus cant explain. I had a no-start issue that was only fixed by disconnecting the turbo lines and starting the car naturally aspirated, then reconnecting the turbo. No one can explain why, its just what works with these swede machines sometimes. I dont think this is going to help you since you are actually running... just rough.

Check the intercooler. Mounted infront of your radiator with a line from the turbo and another to the intake manifold. With high miles these become oil reservoirs for blow by oil. Fill it with enough blow by and you will choke the air. If it hasnt been dragged on the ground too much (my high driveway entrance has gradually sanded my intercooler flat) there is a brass, or aluminum fitting there to remove and drain it. The design of that intercooler is terrible, with its plastic bottom and being mounted 3inches from the ground. I have a spare in my garage for the day i finally rip the whole thing off.

Another spot to check is the coil. Mine went bad in bursts, which would leave you with symptoms like you say. Im not sure if they went to packs on the V70, but my 850 has a coil and distributor.

if you cant find any more volvo guys here there are a couple sites you should check. for parts www.ipdusa.com is the only place you should ever go to find parts, OEM and aftermarket. And a volvo forum thats full of enthusiasts that i would say are into volvos as the people here are into 2 wheeled adventures : www.matthewsvolvosite.com
DR-Zamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,955
Listen to the tech, start with the MAF. Its real easy to get at and if he says it will not pop up codes, he should know. I have an 02 XC70. I just had a #1 coil go, probably partly my own fault because I let the plugs go way past their service life. Changed all the plugs, changed the one bad coil (which did pop up a code for misfire on #1 cyl) and itruns as good as ever. I pulled the MAF out but it was almost like knew so I left it alone. Mech buddy of mine said to clean them with rubbing alcohol, don't use brake cleaner.

Good luck, I'm as cheap as you and hate to pay someone else to do something I can fix!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
metlcutr55 OP
LongGoneDaddy

thanks to all. i tried to pull the maf yesterday, the tube on the backside is stuck, i can rotate it but unable to pry it loose. trying not to damage it. and i understand you need to clean the maf from that side. interesting that the fellow who changed the air filter last said it was extremely dirty. crc makes a maf cleaner. i was going to check coils and plugs, but didnt have the torx tool to remove the cover. off to the parts store i guess. thanks again.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlcutr55 View Post
thanks to all. i tried to pull the maf yesterday, the tube on the backside is stuck, i can rotate it but unable to pry it loose. trying not to damage it. and i understand you need to clean the maf from that side. interesting that the fellow who changed the air filter last said it was extremely dirty. crc makes a maf cleaner. i was going to check coils and plugs, but didnt have the torx tool to remove the cover. off to the parts store i guess. thanks again.
Can you pry up an edge and get some WD40 in there?
This might help, too.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=17252