User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Happy Seal OP
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
97 Techno 250 , help please!

Guys, My 97 Techno has a few issues that I am trying to straighten out.

1. I was overheating last summer so I found the waterpump impellor broken and missing fins. I replaced the impellor and checked the case = ok. I refilled the coolant using the bleed port on the front of the radiator but after I shut off the bike I hear a little burping. sounds like a frog and is a single burp at a time for about five burps before it stops. The fan works and cycles properly.
- IS THIS NORMAL? or should I be looking for more of a problem?

2. My clutch ran out of fluid last summer while on a ride. I drained all the fluid. I removed the master and took it apart, cleaned it, inspected it, and put it back together. I took off the bleed vavle on the slave and cleaned that w/ solvent and compressed air.
- I STILL HAVE NO CLUTCH, it feels like it's proper but I guess I gotta take the slave off and rebuild it or Is it better to just replace the master and slave. I have many hours into this clutch trying to get it to work.

Thanks guys
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
You say you have no clutch , but it feels like it works. Are the plates moving when you engage the clutch? Are the plates just stuck together which is common for that bike?
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
How are you bleeding the clutch?
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
I feel sorry for you HappySeal, but it is going to be hard to figure this one out from here.

when you think it feels normal when you pull the clutch, it makes us think like Lineaway said. the clutches are kind of known to, while in storage I call it, squeeze all the oil out between clutches/metals. then it also kind of "vacuum seals" to each other.

So what you end up having to do (IF THE CLUTCH hydraulics is RIGHT, NO AIR, and IS WORKING) is, you start the Beta up, all while it is heading where you wont hit anything. Put the bike into gear while rolling forward best you can, then while riding for a few seconds, you pull clutch and tap rear break, until clutch lets go. My problem is that you have 2 issues probably, without knowing if the hydraulics is working, you might not get the clutch to let go. But, in large part, this is true on a couple old bikes I've had, doesnt take much to get them to let go.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Happy Seal OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
I feel sorry for you HappySeal, but it is going to be hard to figure this one out from here.

when you think it feels normal when you pull the clutch, it makes us think like Lineaway said. the clutches are kind of known to, while in storage I call it, squeeze all the oil out between clutches/metals. then it also kind of "vacuum seals" to each other.

So what you end up having to do (IF THE CLUTCH hydraulics is RIGHT, NO AIR, and IS WORKING) is, you start the Beta up, all while it is heading where you wont hit anything. Put the bike into gear while rolling forward best you can, then while riding for a few seconds, you pull clutch and tap rear break, until clutch lets go. My problem is that you have 2 issues probably, without knowing if the hydraulics is working, you might not get the clutch to let go. But, in large part, this is true on a couple old bikes I've had, doesnt take much to get them to let go.
Yeah, I know exactly what you guys are referring to. I have to break them free every time I ride the bike but it wouildn't break this time.
Can I remove the slave from the engine and see if the hydraulics are actually working? or will that be a problem with piston popping out or for oil leaking out of trans?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Happy Seal OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe cool View Post
How are you bleeding the clutch?
100ml syringe back bleeding up through the slave!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Happy Seal OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
You say you have no clutch , but it feels like it works. Are the plates moving when you engage the clutch? Are the plates just stuck together which is common for that bike?
You know, I'm not sure but thought about it. I even tried to break it loose like I usually have to do in third gear and letting the clutch out until it frees. I rode for a bit and it wouldn't break free so ??????
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Well the slave is on the right side, so just lay the bike down on the right. You should be able to remove just the clutch cover to see the plates. They don`t move much.(But they should move when you engage the clutch.) While you are there you could remove and clean them. I`m thinking they are just stuck good. I have had to ride around with the clutch in doing wheelies and all the while on the brakes fairly hard to get it to break free. Careful when they do go, can send you over the bars!!:
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Well the slave is on the right side, so just lay the bike down on the right. You should be able to remove just the clutch cover to see the plates. They don`t move much.(But they should move when you engage the clutch.) While you are there you could remove and clean them. I`m thinking they are just stuck good. I have had to ride around with the clutch in doing wheelies and all the while on the brakes fairly hard to get it to break free. Careful when they do go, can send you over the bars!!:
Was this anywhere near the year that filing on the clutch basket' slots or whatever you call them, helped with this issue? I cannot recall, never had a Beta
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Happy Seal OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Was this anywhere near the year that filing on the clutch basket' slots or whatever you call them, helped with this issue? I cannot recall, never had a Beta
Yes, I have read about that fix. I need to make sure the clutch is actually trying to engage.
Thanks guys!