Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Hoonatic Ty Rides Australia

G'day,

My name is Ty and I am a couple of days out from taking off on a ride around Australia. This trip has been in the making for 20 years! It came from a promise made to a new school mate when we were 17 years old. As we soon found out, both our "old mans" were bikers and we realised that "Hydro" and I were the only 2 amongst our school peers that owned and rode motorbikes.

We made a promise soon after meeting that " If one of us won Lotto then they had to buy the other, as well as them selves a bike to ride around Australia "

We have reminded each other of this promise each and every time we have caught up during our lives there after, fishing trips, music concerts, birthdays, parties and various other get togethers. These were weeks sometimes years apart but never forgotten.

Well Hydro and I never won Lotto, mind you, it would help if we had made an effort to put in to buy a ticket more often than not!

Then one day nearly 12 months ago I was telling another mate about this old 'secret' promise as we sat on his veranda drinking beers and talking about his new Aprilla Supermotard bike there in front of us. His enthusiasm was agreeable with the thoughts of riding with a long time mate discovering the country, its people and everything in between.

On my return home soon after that very conversation, whilst I was trying to find the keys to get in my front door, I received a text message on my phone. It was Hydro... With a one sentence statement of "We have to do this trip" I had a uneasy moment thinking WTF? Out of instinct, I looked over my shoulder thinking he might have been there, but as I hadn't seen him in 18 months, he didn't know where I was living at that time due to me living/studying in Fremantle W.A., plus he didn't know my other mate who I had just had the conversation!

Once through the front door I replied to the message with "yeah fella, I'll put in for a extra ticket in this weekends draw". This was immediately met with another statement from Hydro that really hit home to me in a way that he couldn't possibly have realised. It was "Na Ty, we have to do this before one of us gets, sick, injured or hitched".

I had been not only studying at that time but also caring for a mate of mine Doug with cancer, taking him to chemo, radiation and all the other treatments. This had given me a different outlook on life, watching someone close, another knock about Aussie lad, being eaten from the inside out by a insidious disease. I had never really appreciated the yellow daffodil or the pink ribbon charities until then... This coupled with a mentor and study partner at our Maritime College falling ill to a mysterious disease and pulling out of the course we were in together ( soon later finishing his career ) Also all my friends at this age of 37, seem to be getting engaged, married, having a kid, some even onto their 2nd or 3rd!

That was it, I made up my mind there and then, I was in! I was doing the trip, I wasn't waiting for a wind fall, a stroke of luck or another reason. I was going...

That weekend I drove around to all the bike stores in Perth gathering information and prices on all the models available for what we wanted to do the trip best with. I sent them to Hydro with a letter explaining the situation I received his message in and my committed status.

Since then Hydro has bought himself a Suzuki DR 650 and I have kitted out a 2011 Yamaha Tenere XT660Z. Below is a shot of my bike on my return to my home in Exmouth in the North West of W.A. From Perth.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

As Hydro in currently living/working driving cattle trucks in the Northern Territory I will do this first leg solo to Darwin.

I'll endeavour to keep you posted with our experiences and further photos of our set ups and travels.

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 08:38 PM
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,755
Subscribed.

Have fun Ty... it's pretty hard not to, with the trip you got planned.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Go

G'day Ty. Have a great trip. Keep us posted with your pics and stories along the way.

Have a safe trip and stay out of the heat. Take plenty of water.

See you on the east side.
turbobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

The Beginning...

Here are a few shots of the bike before launch, 2 days to go and counting...

[/url]
[url=http://tymatek3.smugmug.com/Travel/The-beginning/26953920_bBHF47#!i=2259328573&k=b4Q35rF&lb=1&s=A]

At the moment I am going through all my equipment, reducing sizes, weight, volumes and doubled items.
The swag looks huge in the photos but sits within the B&B's tail rack 'foot print' and as you can see I still have the whole seat clear. I will be purchasing a 10 litre MSR water bladder to sit behind me. I saw how they looked on Philths (Motor bikin' fame) Triumph when he and Bob stayed the night recently.

I tell you what, the chance meeting of those lads a few days out from my launch was a priceless highlight to say the least! Everything I've put together with this bike has been gleaned from magazines, DVDs and the Internet. To see and yarn with the battle worn blokes and bikes gave a great insight, also the motivation to get out on the track left me sleepless with anticipation...

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 08:42 PM
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,293
Nice bike! I've always like the Tenere, too bad we can't get them here in NA.

What is that huge roll on the back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonatic Ty View Post

Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Laugh The Aussie Swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Nice bike! I've always like the Tenere, too bad we can't get them here in NA.

What is that huge roll on the back?
G'day juames,

The roll on the back of the bike is my stately residence whilst adventuring.

In Australia we call them a "Swag". They are essentially a canvas cover in which contains all your bedding, mattress, pillow, linen, sleeping bag etc. On unclipping the plastic fasteners, they roll out and "Ta Daaa" instant accommodation.

They come in a range of sizes and designs depending on personal preference and applications. Most these days are of a triangular 'tent' design with guide ropes to fix to trees and or bike, car at each end. Although you can not stand inside them (Unless you are quite vertically challenged!) they provide basic comfortable protection from the elements for sleeping.

I must admit that at looking at the photos after taking them, I was surprised how large it looked. It is some what deceiving though as the rolled up 'footprint' is within the B&B tail rack. Weight is approximately 4 kilos.

I will post some photos later to give you a better idea.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
What is the advantage of a 'swag' over a tent and therma-rest that takes up 1/3 the space?
main advantage...... ease of set-up, as hoon said.. you undo 2 clips, roll it out and your bed is ready.... as your sleeping bag and pillow are already in there rolled with the swag (a 30 second job) and same packing it up.

The disadvantage is yes they take up a bit more space but (i assume hoon) this one is the special "bike swag" therefore lighter in weight than a standard swag.

IT's NOT GAY!... UNLESS THE BALL's TOUCH
regie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Quote:
Originally Posted by regie308 View Post
main advantage...... ease of set-up, as hoon said.. you undo 2 clips, roll it out and your bed is ready.... as your sleeping bag and pillow are already in there rolled with the swag (a 30 second job) and same packing it up.

The disadvantage is yes they take up a bit more space but (i assume hoon) this one is the special "bike swag" therefore lighter in weight than a standard swag.
G'day,

Yeah you got it regie308. The set up is a easy roll out or roll up and your done. Inside the my Swag is a Blackwolf self inflating mattress & pillow and sleeping bag.

I was surprised on how comprehensive the swag was once set up! I didn't get to see it "in the flesh" before I bought it over the internet. You could do with a lot less features but I guess it comes down to personal preferences, how long you travel for, how often you camp, where you camp etc.

I've found every day is different with it's demands and I'm learning all the time.

I haven't forgot the photos promised. You'll see what I mean by a comprehensive swag. This is a "bike swag" too. I'll post ASAP.

Regards,
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
37 ?
Well then, it's high time you get to it !
Hard to beleive you've put back the plan throughout your teens,20's and are finally making it happen.
Good luck, and good travels. Live while you can.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
davo_0104
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Spotties

G'day Ty,

Looking forward to the RR!

Just wondering what sort of spotties you're using and how have you mounted them?

Also, what brand and size stainless bottles are you using? They look like a perfect fit for the Expedition panniers.

Cheers,

2010 Yamaha Tenere XT660Z
davo_0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Spotties and Fuel Bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo_0104 View Post
G'day Ty,

Looking forward to the RR!

Just wondering what sort of spotties you're using and how have you mounted them?

Also, what brand and size stainless bottles are you using? They look like a perfect fit for the Expedition panniers.

Cheers,
G'day Davo,

The spotties are the Halogen Touratech ones off their website, they were all that I could find at the time. Since then, there have been lot better LED types released by other manufacturers. They did come complete with all the mounting equipment, brackets, wiring loom etc and somewhat hazy directions (photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy)

I will admit to fitting the lights in their protected position as per the directions but got an Auto Sparkie to do the wiring as each spottie came with it's own complete wiring harness and I didn't trust my own abilities to prevent an "under the seat fire!"

It was that situation when you buy something, a month later it gets superseded with a far cheaper and superior product... If I had my time again, go the LED products available.

The bottles are a fuel rated "Pimus" brand. I got them off EBay in America and do the job well. These 1.5 litre bottles fit perfectly in the Andystraps Panniers.

Sorry I don't have Links for them as I'm not totally computer savy! But a search should produce them easy enough, if I can find them anyone can!

Regards,
Old 12-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #12
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Photos from the road...

Just before I left my home town of Exmouth, a photo up on the tip of the North West Cape. Vlaming Head Lighthouse.

Set and ready to go...

Heading inland to the Iron Ore mining town of Pannawonica

I made a promise to my mate Doug that I would go into the old town of Wittenoom where he was brought up and put flowers on his mum and dads grave.

The town has been 99% demolished by the West Australian government due to the mining of the cancer causing Asbestos. There are still a couple of hardy locals that won't move. It once had a population of 2500, churches, pub, workers club, shops etc but not any more. It now isn't even a gazetted town due to the health risks. It was strange and eerie, riding around through over grown streets. Doug used to own/run this old cafe before they moved everyone on.

Karijini National Park, I rode through here in total awe, it is a natural wonder world.

Fortescue Falls.

Dales Gorge.

These photos don't do the experience justice, several times I felt so moved by the surrounding environment. Being alone, in your helmet, riding along, feeling quite insignificant!

Unfortunately my GoPro camera footage to get a better view of these areas didn't turn out well, I will amend my amateur camera man ways!

Just got into Broome.

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 02:20 AM
Old 12-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Merry christmas

Keep em coming Ty. Good pictures mate. Where is christmas?
turbobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #14
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

And a Merry Christmas to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobob View Post
Keep em coming Ty. Good pictures mate. Where is christmas?
G'day Bob,

Mate after catching up with you lads I've been having the time of my life out on the road, on the bike. The country travelled has blown me away. I have never experienced anything like it and as previously mentioned very moving with special sites ridden through, some character building adversity and friendly people all the way.

I guess when people see a lone rider roll in they are naturally inquisitive, encouraging and very helpful when needed. This country makes you quite proud with what we have out there to be discovered and enjoyed as I am sure you would agree with your own experiences travelling on the bike.

I've made it to Darwin and joined my vessel the "OMS Endurance" for my five week swing at sea. I have scored the trifecta of Chrissy, New Years and Birthday at sea and will return to the road on the 29th of January. This time I will join up with my mate Hydro in Adelaide River with his DR650 and strike out for further adventure! I'm restless and itching for it after the awesome experiences so far...!

Loving it.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #15
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

The Swag

Here are a few shots of the bike swag that I carry rolled up on the back. I had ridden into a small place called Hayes Creek just short of Darwin on dark after a big day in the saddle and dealing with a breakdown earlier in the day at Timber Creek.

Worn out I hopped off the bike, refueled both the bike and myself (Awesome dinosaur sized T-Bone Steak with cold, cold beer) and promptly crashed out asleep nearby. It was raining, hence the handy covered location. Before I shut down for the night I made very sure I followed the young guy at the servo/bar/shop/accommodation, payment counters advice in keeping the zips closed up as he stated "Be careful, this whole area is bloody infested with snakes, absolutely infested..."