Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
G19Tony OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Thumb Found this on another forum.

Pretty good.

Let me stop you right there, mmmm-kay? I can tell by that little intake of breath what’s coming next. Thank you in advance, but I already know that motorcycles are “dangerous.” After nearly twenty years of riding on the streets, I am aware; telling me now will not be a revelation. It is not an insight into my lifestyle that has remained hidden from me until this, the moment of epiphany when you shine the light of outsider wisdom on my foolhardy choices.

Photo: Grant Ray

There are ways I can minimize the risk — by riding defensively, riding sober, knowing my own and my machine’s capabilities, etc. — but I also know there are some risks that are simply beyond my control. But you know what? There a lots of risks that are within my control. We’ve become so pathologically risk-averse that for most people it is inconceivable to assume any additional risk no matter how much joy you might get back in return.

You want to know what’s truly dangerous? Not taking any risks. Hanging out with like-minded middle-of-the-roaders. Absorbing the same brain-ossifying **** from media factories every day. Jogging. Putting helmets, flotation devices, and auto-deploy epi-pens on your kids every time they leave the house. Passivity. Not paying attention to where your car, or your life, or you country is going.

If you don’t get that, that’s OK. I’m not trying to convert anybody, but here are a few tips to save us both a little aggravation:

You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool.

Do not — do NOT — tell me about the time you almost Sausage Creatured a biker because you “couldn’t see him” or he “came out of nowhere.” I have never known a bike to come out of nowhere, but I have seen plenty of cars pull a Crazy Ivan and turn into a lane occupied by a biker or make an impromptu unsignalled left turn in front of an oncoming me. If you’re expecting me to share your outrage at the temerity of bikers to be in the lane you want, you’re more deluded than a goldfish with a passport. I can’t make you see bikes. I can’t make you hang up your phone. They won’t let me mount a .50-caliber machine gun to my bike. So really, there’s not much I can do to change the outcome of your anecdote, so save it for your coreligionists who also have stick-figure families and giant softball stickers with the name “Tailyr” or “Flynn” or “Shyly” on their rear windows.

I do wear a helmet, as a matter of fact, along with other protective gear. But, the fact that you “certainly hope” I wear a helmet is so condescending it makes me want to ride a tricycle completely naked doing doughnuts in your front yard screaming Beastie Boys lyrics at midnight. Trust me, you do not want that. My buttocks are extremely pale and unsightly, especially in moonlight.

Please, do not complain about bikes parking in car parking spaces. Where are we supposed to park? If they let us park up on the curb like in Europe, we would totally do that, and precious few parking lots have motorcycle parking areas. Most cops already have a hard-on for bikes, so parking anywhere but in a designated spot is asking to be impounded.

Yes, I know, some bikes have very loud exhaust. Maybe it’s obnoxious, but at least you knew they were there, didn’t you? They say loud pipes save lives. I don’t know if that’s true, because there hasn’t been a serious comprehensive study of motorcycle safety since 1981, the poetically named Hurt Report. And yes, I know, at one point you probably saw some kid riding his 600cc sport bike at 100mph doing a wheelie down the freeway. He’s a squid, and he’ll either grow up or just take care of himself. Some bikers do crazy things. Anti-social things. Unsanctioned things. I don’t represent him and he doesn’t represent me — that’s the great part of being a biker. I could be a Lowbrow Weirdo or Antoine Predock or Lyle Lovett or just whatever I want to be.

If you’re really so all-fire concerned about my safety, don’t preach at me. Just do me this one favor: pay attention when you’re driving. Keep your greasy fingers off your touch-screen, put down your phone, use your turn signals and lay off the booze before you get on the road with me. You take care of your part and I’ll take care of mine.

But hang-gliding, man, that shit is crazy.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Amen.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
BGil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
+1

I think I will keep that, and maybe translate it and send it to some people around me.
BGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Esteen
990 Adv Gasgas EC300

Oddometer: 54
GOLD !!!
Esteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
"more deluded than a goldfish with a passport"

That's literary gold right there!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
it's considered bad form to copy and paste someone's creations without giving a source. Here's the original source:

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-a-motorcycle/
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,955
Subject line indicates it was found elsewhere. I'm going to repost in on FB. Should I cite this thread, your post or the article you reference? And I enjoyed reading it. Didn't consider it being "bad form" in the least.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,245
Awesome writing. Kind of perpetuating the myth that a rider's biggest hazard is another vehicle operator- but awesome writing.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Awesome writing. Kind of perpetuating the myth that a rider's biggest hazard is another vehicle operator- but awesome writing.
I don't see that as a myth. A rider's biggest hazard that he has little or no control over is another vehicle operator. At some times and places that may not be the case -- at dusk on open roads it might be deer instead. But for anyone who rides urban, or commutes, or is in traffic a lot for any reason, cagers are a top threat.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
I don't see that as a myth. A rider's biggest hazard that he has little or no control over is another vehicle operator. At some times and places that may not be the case -- at dusk on open roads it might be deer instead. But for anyone who rides urban, or commutes, or is in traffic a lot for any reason, cagers are a top threat.

PhilB
Sorry, myth. 75% of all motorcycle fatalities (Oregon, 2012 YTD) were rider error. All things being equal, a rider's biggest hazard is typically their own ego.

But let's ignore the 47% that were just riders crashing by themselves.

60% of multi-vehicle accidents involving a motorcycle were... rider error.

Cagers may be a top threat, but they don't top what we do to ourselves.

dwoodward screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 04:34 PM
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Sorry, myth. 75% of all motorcycle fatalities (Oregon, 2012 YTD) were rider error. All things being equal, a rider's biggest hazard is typically their own ego.

It seems folks here sometimes forget that the majority of motorcycle "owners" are fair weather weekend warriors who ride just to get their adrenalin fix, or as the focus of their social lifestyle.

I didn't really care too much for the editorial, bad drivers are just another part of the riding environment along with many other potential hazards, if they bother you that much, why ride?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

PhilB

I bolded the part of that statement that is relevant here. Sure, your greatest hazard is yourself if you're an idiot. Your hazard to yourself decreases drastically with prudence, training, experience, and gear -- all of which are under your control, and none of which are under anyone else's control. So the article referenced by the OP does not in any way "perpetuate the myth that a rider's biggest hazard is another vehicle operator". The author is talking to a person other than himself, and thus is communicating about hazards that are not himself. The top one of which is .... other vehicle operators.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
I don't see it like that, just emphasizing that cagers should be more aware. The post accepts the fact that there are inherent risks involved in riding, and that the rider must take responsibility for all of the risks that are under his control.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
I don't "except it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg326 View Post
I don't see it like that, just emphasizing that cagers should be more aware. The post accepts the fact that there are inherent risks involved in riding, and that the rider must take responsibility for all of the risks that are under his control.
The RIDERS are the ones that need to be "more aware."

Deer are the only thing that I come upon while riding that I have not learned how to deal with well enough to lower the level of concern to a non pulse racing level.

(any rider that rides straight down the road doing nothing to cater to how human vision works IS asking, begging, pleading for a collision) IMO.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 07:52 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The RIDERS are the ones that need to be "more aware."

Deer are the only thing that I come upon while riding that I have not learned how to deal with well enough to lower the level of concern to a non pulse racing level.

(any rider that rides straight down the road doing nothing to cater to how human vision works IS asking, begging, pleading for a collision) IMO.
This. I see people all the time that don't seem too concerned they are riding in a car's blind spot and then are surprised when a car comes into their lane.