User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
vt1099ace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
NPS passport

Anyone use the national park services passport when they visit?

I was thinking of getting one and using it as a goal for trips...(visit the park, get the stamp)...try to fill the book by visiting as many as possible.

if you do use one, how do you like it?

vt1099ace screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 01:42 PM
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,104
That's pretty cool, especially for those keeping a journal or creating a scrapbook with their kids.

I bought the annual pass, and it paid for itself during my 3 week trip around the western US. The passport and annual pass would make a nice gift for an avid traveler.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Murray75
Rookie

Oddometer: 32
My wife has one. We bought it before a 2-up trip last summer to Yellowstone and Glacier. Initially I was thinking gimmick but after picking off 5 parks/monuments I actually like that she's interested in stamping the book. It keeps her interested and engaged as we ride around and it took us to places we might have otherwise passed by, just to hit the visitor center for the stamp. We saw some cool stuff on those little side trips. A couple things to know:

1. There are usually multiple places for stamps in any given park or monument. Yellowstone had 4 or 5, maybe more. Do as much or as little as you want in terms of hitting the spots.

2. They sell stickers to put in the book to show an image of the particular place. Otherwise, it's just blank pages with stamps, exactly like a normal travel passport. Yeah, my wife is all about the stickers too so that adds to the cost. Whatev, she's happy and out there with me on the 990...I'm happy too. Small price to pay!

I think it's worth the price of admission.
Murray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
vt1099ace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

my last trip to point reyes was when I first seen them and thought that would make a pretty good motivator to visit as many as possible.

But I wanted to ask those who have it their (you all's) thoughts..
Old 12-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,660
I use it enough to justify the $80 cost. I usually get to Death Valley at least twice a year, that's half of it right there.

It really paid off on a three week trip through the Pacific Northwest several years back.

Even if you don't fully use it, the funds go to a great cause.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Mr G.
The passport is $7, pass is $80 unless you are over 62 in which case it is $10 for a lifetime pass. Permanently disabled people can get a lifetime National Park pass free at any National Park. Active military can have a free annual pass. More info here: http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

vt1099ace,
If you and the wife really get into using the passport, then you should check this out: http://www.ironbutt.com/NPT/
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,880
Correct.

The "passport" is not a national park pass. It is just a sales gimmick that you can get stamped at certain features in certain parks. I think its mainly fun for kids. Helps to keep their interest and focus.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
vt1099ace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Correct.

The "passport" is not a national park pass. It is just a sales gimmick that you can get stamped at certain features in certain parks. I think its mainly fun for kids. Helps to keep their interest and focus.
takes up less space in a saddlebag than collecting spoons or plates.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Correct.

Guess my wife and I are still kids, then . . . . .we dig using the passport, and the pic of me getting my Senoir Pass last summer at Zion is a treasure, far as I'm concerned.

If you enjoy souveniers, most to the National Parks I've seen in the last 10 years or so sell bandanas . . .. and what rider couldn't use another bandana?

Additionally, stamping the passsport means you go into the visitor cernter, and learn about some of hte programs offered . . . .we never would have known about the stargazing talk at Bryce if we'd not gone in . . . and it was a highlight of our visit.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
vt1099ace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ______ View Post
Mr G.
The passport is $7, pass is $80 unless you are over 62 in which case it is $10 for a lifetime pass. Permanently disabled people can get a lifetime National Park pass free at any National Park. Active military can have a free annual pass. More info here: http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

vt1099ace,
If you and the wife really get into using the passport, then you should check this out: http://www.ironbutt.com/NPT/
that does sound...fun...just one problem, no wife I'm as single as can be.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,774
If your old enough, be sure to buy a one time cost "Senior pass" & save on every entry from there on until you have the big one, Elizabeth.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Free NP Pass if disabled too

I have a permantly damaged leg, this only will be issued if you have a disability that effects your walking abilities, not your head disabilities...............but most will still give it if you show them your SS Disability statement. I get free lifetime access to any NP and normally 1/2 price camping. I camped one place last summer for $3 that had the cleanest showers I have seen. I camped in Yellowstone for $12.50 a nite, with no cost to enter the park. It only cost me a leg.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
I am going to pay for the annual pass before I head off on the bike this spring. I am buying it, although I get SSDI... I don't want to have to explain myself as disabled although riding a Buell. I have the money so I will pay the 80 bucks.

If you hit more than 16 parks with a 5 dollar entrance fee, it will pay for itself anyhow. I plan to hit more than 25 of them on my trip... and just put the pass in the see through pocket on my nerd vest (hi viz vest).

It is entirely worth it if you have plans to do a lot of the National Parks. It does not, however, give you a discount on camping fees, so you will still have to pay up the first time you come in to set up your tent.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #14
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
I am going to pay for the annual pass before I head off on the bike this spring. I am buying it, although I get SSDI... I don't want to have to explain myself as disabled although riding a Buell. I have the money so I will pay the 80 bucks.

If you hit more than 16 parks with a 5 dollar entrance fee, it will pay for itself anyhow. I plan to hit more than 25 of them on my trip... and just put the pass in the see through pocket on my nerd vest (hi viz vest).

It is entirely worth it if you have plans to do a lot of the National Parks. It does not, however, give you a discount on camping fees, so you will still have to pay up the first time you come in to set up your tent.
While not the purpose of the thread, do you find it necessary to "explain your disability" -thats kinda crappy! -even in a place/state/KY where far too many not so disabled are on the draw via hungry lawyers that do the billboard thing everywhere. It's a cash cow for the legal trade but then again, you should have to explain your self to enter a park???
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
2009, I bought the Annual Pass and went all over the US visiting parks as a reason to ride. I ended up in 42 states and 168 parks. It was an absolute blast and I even learned a bit more US history, if you're serious about doing it, there's even an IronButt Association certificate available if you visit 50 parks in 25 states within 12 months. It's called the National Parks Tour.

All the parks are listed at http://www.nps.gov

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...t.cfm?DocID=11. For the IBA ride rules.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote