User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

Oddometer: 47
NX650/XR650 Billet Cooler

Does anyone make one like this for our engine? If not, they should. If anyone knows about one please let me know! From what I've read it drops the temp 15-20 degrees (F) which is good for summer riding on a mostly stock engine, and it could just be swapped back out for the stock plate cover. I suppose I could source an extra cover and just have someone weld fins to it...?

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/15-6504.html

Now riding Central Asia on a black 1994 Dominator.
still southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,123
how interesting... a bit expensive though...

I have noticed the extreme high temps the cap of the stock oil filter gets...its good thinking with no moveable parts or oil leaks, hoses to possibly break...however at that price its more than the avergae diy oil cooler install...I mean you can buy an xr250 or 400 cooler and plumb it up for around that price...

but cool thinking!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
how interesting... a bit expensive though...

I have noticed the extreme high temps the cap of the stock oil filter gets...its good thinking with no moveable parts or oil leaks, hoses to possibly break...however at that price its more than the avergae diy oil cooler install...I mean you can buy an xr250 or 400 cooler and plumb it up for around that price...

but cool thinking!
Yeah, definitely too expensive, but definitely might be worth welding some fins onto a spare cap and giving it a go. Where I live welding is cheap, but getting the cap would be expensive. I had a brake lever welded (too hard to get the new one in on short notice) the other day and it was only 150 Som (three dollars and some change), so it would probably only cost about 10-15 dollars to make one provided I could find a cap.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

that cheap to weld aluminum or magnesium? my cap is magnesium...no go for me down here...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
that cheap to weld aluminum or magnesium? my cap is magnesium...no go for me down here...
Yup...I was pretty surprised...got a fairly nice TIG/Argon weld done, on a Sunday when the guy wasn't even supposed to be open, for just over three dollars (actually tipped an extra dollar, so $4). Then again the average wage here is only a few hundred dollars a month.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

Maybe this is the way to do it...get a spare cover and have this welded to it...haven't measured exactly, but it should be close. Grind down the ridge so the entire bottom plate touches, coat it in heat sink grease and weld it on...might look a little funny, but probably would be pretty functional!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

id do it...but wouldnt trust the weleder to do such a small neat job...they do sell those glues that act like solder but dont know if the heat transfer qualities is enough...

in reality the same can be done to the oil frame down tube by welding fins on it as it gets really hot...but then your bike starts looking a bit like a franken rat bike...something out of a movie and awkward looking