User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Benesesso OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,897
Which TV Should I Get?

Need a new flat screen TV for the kitchen. Viewing distance will be ~10'. Don't have cable, etc. so everything will be from an antenna. Will only be on a few hr. a day. It will replace an ancient CRT Panasonic 17" TV that weighs ~12 million lb.

Been so many recent changes in TV's lately I can't keep up. Should have a tuner. Have LEDs replaced LCD TV yet? Cost isn't a big deal--TV won't need a big screen.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
toshiba makes a nice 26lcd that would be perfect, got one for my mom.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
toshiba makes a nice 26lcd that would be perfect, got one for my mom.

24-26" is the range I'd suggest too.

Also models change pretty fast so the thing to do is go online and find something with tons of great reviews. Even the name brands put out eh TV's and you can find the occasional hidden gem. I bought a 32" last year and it had a solid 5 star rating with hundreds of reviews so even though it's a no name I didn't care and it's been great. At that small of a size LED VS traditional LCD wont matter since it'll be pretty small anyways, so just look at those ratings.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Why not a plasma?
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
AerialCameras
Gyrating Peacefully

Oddometer: 1,893
If you're looking for a part time smaller screen, don't be afraid of a close out on a 720. If you watch a lot on ESPN, abc or Fox, then that's all you're getting anyway, at least for the next several years. Without a side by side A/B comparison, you probably will never see the difference.

Also If your kitchen is bright like most are, you'll want a little more contrast for better viewing. Samsung always seemed to have better black rendition than most.
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialCameras View Post
If you're looking for a part time smaller screen, don't be afraid of a close out on a 720. If you watch a lot on ESPN, abc or Fox, then that's all you're getting anyway, at least for the next several years. Without a side by side A/B comparison, you probably will never see the difference.

Also If your kitchen is bright like most are, you'll want a little more contrast for better viewing. Samsung always seemed to have better black rendition than most.
At 10' away you wont be able to tell the difference on that screen even with an A/B comparison, really you need to be just a few feet away.....I'm posting from a 24" 1080P monitor.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
The LED TVs are still LCD but use LEDs for back lighting rather than the old fluorescent tube. LED is definitely the way to go. Go to the store and find a 1080P LED in a size that you like and compare the picture and sound to all the others. There is a big difference in picture quality and there are many good brands.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Benesesso OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
The LED TVs are still LCD but use LEDs for back lighting rather than the old fluorescent tube. LED is definitely the way to go. Go to the store and find a 1080P LED in a size that you like and compare the picture and sound to all the others. There is a big difference in picture quality and there are many good brands.
Thanks. I'm well aware that some stores screw up the video settings on models that sell well by themselves, in order to push the junk.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

I bought a Samsung 22 or 23" 1080P LCD a few months ago for $200 because it had a lot of good reviews and the picture looked better than any comparable TV. Much nicer picture than the 720P LCD I had before. It also weighs about 1/4 what the old TV weighed and uses 1/2 the power which is important in my solar powered house.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Somethings to look for in tvs that small is they dont come in 1080p, and plasmas start at 42 inch. Almost all will do 720p. You should be able to pick up good 26 for $240
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

22" TVs didn't used to come in 1080P but they do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
Somethings to look for in tvs that small is they dont come in 1080p, and plasmas start at 42 inch. Almost all will do 720p. You should be able to pick up good 26 for $240
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 778
Just picked up a 24"/720 for my Dad for $150. With the smaller screen, it is hard to tell the diff between it and the 1080.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Benesesso OP
Beastly Adventurer

Great replies so far! Thanks. What do inmates think of Consumers Report testing? Used to subscribe years ago--should I renew?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Great replies so far! Thanks. What do inmates think of Consumers Report testing? Used to subscribe years ago--should I renew?

cnet is a good website for anything electronic, I just bought my new plasma based on their reviews, and they were right about everything
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,999
Just picked up a Samsung LED 1080p with 120hz in a 39" for under $400. Still trying to figure out how to mount and wire it up on my wall. Guess I have to fish the wall.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: